Timney Glock Alpha Competition trigger

tt350z

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/12/2021 at 2:34 PM, sx2gl35 said:

Check out this by Matt Kartozian in an 8-1-21 Guns America Digest article:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/timney-alpha-competition-trigger-for-glock-gen-3-4-and-5/

According to Matt K. you Gen 5 guys should be pulling 1# - 12ozs. with a minus connector.

Does anyone know what connector this article is using to achieve 1lb 6oz full race trigger?

3 hours ago, sx2gl35 said:

"I have tried many combinations of parts in conjunction with the Alpha. My preferred setup is factory minus connector, etc."

I'm going to guess factory minus connector.

Maybe he doesn't prefer the "full race trigger"

15 hours ago, Fo0 said:

Maybe he doesn't prefer the "full race trigger"

Correct, he does not...here's Matt's full quote:

"I have tried many combinations of parts in conjunction with the Alpha. My preferred setup is factory minus connector, factory firing pin spring, lightened factory firing pin, lightened firing pin safety spring, and the red trigger return spring. I also tune and polish all metal surfaces that touch each other – the connector, firing pin, and firing pin safety. This gives me a break weight of 2.2 pounds in a Gen 3."

I gave you a partial quote since that is all you asked about.

My guess seemed reasonable since I also was able to produce an average pull weight (1# - 5.62oz.) similar to that which Matt calls a "Full race trigger," although I used the red spring.  Matt seems to like the stock Glock factory minus connector.  

I like the stock Glock factory minus connector.

15 hours ago, Fo0 said:

I'm at sub -2lbs with a Ghost 3.3 Pro Connector. 

The trigger shoe won't reset on it's own with a MBX magazine inserted. I have to push the trigger shoe forward. No mag and other brands work fine. Any Ideas to fix this?

Sorry, but no.

Edited by sx2gl35
Reading comprehension deficit on my part.

I found one Glock that just wasn't working with it, put if in my other Glock, everything the same, connector type, ejector, you name it, and it fit in and worked flawlessly. 2.75# pull.  LWD connector.  Ordered a 2nd one, waiting for shipment.

19 hours ago, Fo0 said:

I'm at sub -2lbs with a Ghost 3.3 Pro Connector. 

The trigger shoe won't reset on it's own with a MBX magazine inserted. I have to push the trigger shoe forward. No mag and other brands work fine. Any Ideas to fix this?

I just tried this with an empty MBX mag. It seems it holds a little crooked in the frame and does rub the trigger bar. I can get mine to stick as well. 

I had not noticed this issue before while shooting. 

I tried it again with a dummy round in. Racked slide.. held trigger down.. inserted MBX with dummy round and slowly let the trigger forward. No more sticking. Alleviated the issue in mine. 

Are you having issues with live fire? Or just testing after install?  

17 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

I just tried this with an empty MBX mag. It seems it holds a little crooked in the frame and does rub the trigger bar. I can get mine to stick as well. 

I had not noticed this issue before while shooting. 

I tried it again with a dummy round in. Racked slide.. held trigger down.. inserted MBX with dummy round and slowly let the trigger forward. No more sticking. Alleviated the issue in mine. 

Are you having issues with live fire? Or just testing after install?  

It is a gun I am currently building so no live fire yet. I just tried dummy rounds and it won't even feed without a rerack. Going to try to return to MBX. Magpul works fine.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:29 AM, tt350z said:

This showed up on my doorstep tonight. The Timney Glock Alpha competition trigger. Nice of the. To include the small flathead to help with maneuvering the spring leg. Also has the hex to tighten the sear housing to the ejector housing. And a hex to adjust the trigger pretravel. Limited adjustment if you want the trigger safety to engage. 
wbpFN1F.jpg

Xu0HaQq.jpg

First look at the trigger bar out of the package, my opinion, i wished they cleaned up the burr from what I’m guessing is from the stamping process.
xajN7O7.jpg

VKVGmGi.jpg

For those that dont know, the sear that sits in the trigger housing holds the firing pin back. This is a departure from the OEM trigger where the first half of the trigger pull is actually “cocking” the firing pin from a “half-cocked” position. With that out of the way, the firing pin block is still functional.
Xje6EA5.jpg

fkocmeG.jpg

VqB65Wd.jpg

8ESh1ut.jpg

I tried a variety of connectors. It is so easy changing connectors now. Dont have to deal with the spring so I only have to remove the ejector housing to swap the connector. Takes like 30 second.
qYQsXlL.jpg

Connectors starting from top to bottom:
h53pmGB.jpg

LWD “-”, has a light wall, followed by a very smooth rolling break with no stacking. I’m kinda liking the rolling break, so I’ll be using this.

Unmarked connector, the angle and feel is very similar to the LWD “-” connector. Only difference is that it breaks a little bit later in the pull. I wish I knew the manufacturer, but it is what it is.

Zev “-”, has a decent wall, rolls through a little bit, hits another small wall, break. I dont think I’ll be using this.

Glock “-” feels very similar to the Zev. Dont think I’ll use this either.

Glock “.” Nice solid wall crisp break with no stacking that I can notice. This would be what I would use if I decide to go with a crisp break vs a rolling break.

Glock unmarked, has the most solid wall and crisp break, but I do feel a little stacking before the break. I wouldnt mind using it even though it stacks a little bit.

The trigger safety dingus is not completely flat, it has a very slight convex arch so you have a positive engagement of the safety. The safety spring is relatively strong. It will not flop around like the OEM which basically has no pressure. Its probably 3x as strong as the Zev Pro trigger safety. But it is in no way obtrusive. I also like the beveled edge on the trigger shoe. I wear medium sized gloves and I feel that i push the pistol with a wide flat trigger like the Zev Pro trigger shoe.

To sum it up, this trigger feels amazing. Despite the trigger bar looking a little rough, once installed it is very smooth. I honestly dont feel any grittiness. I’m not gonna attempt to polish it because it is coated with NP3, and at this point it’s just cosmetic.

Also it’s easy to dry fire because the trigger always goes to the forward position, although the firing pin will not drop because it is in the forward position until you rack the slide so the sear can catch it.

PQQZJGK.jpg

1 hour ago, ILikeGuns said:

I have a Glock Timney trigger I put in and it feels a little spongy and yea I see it also has like a rolling break to it is that normal 

I would think it depends a lot of what connector you're using. I'm in an all stock 34 with a dot connector and it has a somewhat firm wall with a little mushiness before it.

Depends on connector and spring.

I just got back from a deployment and Timney had sent me a red spring while I was gone. Threw it in and its more of a rolling break now compared to the silver spring with the same connector because it requires a more force to get to the wall, so breaking the wall needs less differential pressure.

A dot or standard connector will give a really solid wall if the thats what you’re looking for.

Edited by tt350z

11 minutes ago, tt350z said:

I just got back from a deployment and Timney had sent me a red spring while I was gone. Threw it in and its more of a rolling break now compared to the silver spring with the same connector because it requires a more force to get to the wall, so breaking the wall needs less differential pressure.

A dot or standard connector will give a really solid wall if the thats what you’re looking for.

or the good old  "+" connector, like a 1911 break,  oh FYI coating or not it really helped to polish all the stamping lines and such off the connector, you want areas that contact to be flawless finish

Edited by Sinister4

4 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

or the good old  "+" connector, like a 1911 break,  oh FYI coating or not it really helped to polish all the stamping lines and such off the connector, you want areas that contact to be flawless finish

IMO the Glock plus connector sucks.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:30 AM, tt350z said:

Ah maybe. I just have the one spring that came with my trigger since I pre-ordered it. I haven had any issues with it and it resets fast enough for me to push a .14 split when my hand can do it.