Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timney Glock Alpha Competition trigger

tt350z

3 minutes ago, 3gunDMD said:

I wonder why he's using the lighter striker spring.  I thought the whole point of this system was to run a full power striker spring.  

Yes I was surprised to see that when I opened the package.  The only reason I even got the Timney was due to getting a lighter trigger pull while still able to shoot all ammo.

I figured the JG Omega service would lighten the pull even more without sacrificing that ability.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sandflea316 said:

Yes I was surprised to see that when I opened the package.  The only reason I even got the Timney was due to getting a lighter trigger pull while still able to shoot all ammo.

I figured the JG Omega service would lighten the pull even more without sacrificing that ability.

Can you confirm JG is using an over travel stop like in his other triggers?

I’m looking to order a housing with the screw installed to see if I can ultimately get a shorter reset. I don’t see a reason it wouldn’t work. 

Ok just done with range trip with my JG/Timney Alpha Omega. 

100 rounds of Monarch steel cased ammo.  All the rounds went off.  I'm impressed so far.  Still need to measure the pull with both the 4 lb and 4.5 lb striker springs.

Will put more steel cased rounds through it.  Also will try Winchester small rifle primers when time permits 

Ok with 4 lb striker, I'm averaging    2 lb. 1.7 oz on the JG Timney Alpha Omega

With an unmolested Timney Alpha I'm averaging 2 lb 15.5 oz

Didn't bother to measure the pre-travel or reset but it is definitely shorter with the Alpha Omega 

Just leaving the range now after trying out the Timney some more and an have intermittent reset issues even with the red trigger spring. 

I used it Saturday for a match and had a few slow resets but today it was not moving unless I physically got it. Trigger has lube, anything else I’m missing?

1 hour ago, Edwards30 said:

Just leaving the range now after trying out the Timney some more and an have intermittent reset issues even with the red trigger spring. 

I used it Saturday for a match and had a few slow resets but today it was not moving unless I physically got it. Trigger has lube, anything else I’m missing?

I had an issue when I installed one.  The trigger return spring wasn't positioned correctly.  Make sure the two legs of the spring are where they should be.

23 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

I had an issue when I installed one.  The trigger return spring wasn't positioned correctly.  Make sure the two legs of the spring are where they should be.

I checked that, it was below the upper pin and to the right of the slide release spring. 
I called Timney and the only thing they suggested was using a dot connector instead of a minus. 
I can tell I have some frame wear on the outer trigger bar but it’s not too much to indicate an outward angled connector IMO. 

I posted earlier that I was having problems making the Alpha work in my G35 Gen3's.  I now have both functioning great with Alpha's.

I was running a slide from one with the frame from another and that was the problem.  When I matched those with the same serial number the trigger set, fired and re-set; no problems.

Interestingly, one of them runs great with a LWD 3.5 connector but the other would not...it needed a stock Glock 5# connector to function.

I'm changing over to the Alpha in all my G34's and 35's.

Installed one of these triggers in my G17 Gen4 MOS about 3 weeks ago.  Since install, I have completed 1 range training day and 1 USPSA match, with about 200 rounds total live fire, and several hundred rounds in dry fire.

To provide some background, I am a big believer in and user of Glock pistols.  Bought my first Glock just after they released the G21 in .45ACP, and have since bought many more G21, G26, G19, and G17’s.  I’ve been messing with Glock triggers, both EDC and competition, for at least 10 years now off and on.  Have to say I agree with many others that this Timney Glock trigger is very most awesome!  Best out of the box improvement you can get for a Glock trigger for competition, and the price is a real value at the current price point for what you get!

My Timney trigger pull weight averages 2 lbs 3 oz on a consistent basis on my Lyman Digital Pull Gauge.  The pull is so smooth and the break so light that it’s a welcome surprise after playing with Glock triggers for so long and spending a good bit of money trying to find a really good trigger.  I will add that I have more mods installed in my Glock than just dropping in the Timney trigger.  I had already been using these additional mods with my previous DK Trigger and just removed the DK Triggers Trigger bar and Trigger Shoe and then performed the Timney install.  So, now in addition to the Timney trigger I have a Reduced Power FP Safety Plunger Spring, Glock OEM FP Safety Plunger (with my own mods), 4.5 lbs Wolff Striker Spring, IDP Tactical Performance Striker, Hardened Steel (Heavy) Captive Guide Rod from Jager, 13 lbs Wolff Recoil Spring, Connector from DK Triggers, and Ghost Maritime FP Spring Cups, in addition to Trigger Housing mods discussed below.  Not that all of these mods have an impact on the performance of the Timney trigger, but I did want to provide full disclosure for my setup.

What I really wanted to share, to answer some questions from others, is my experience with adding a Vanek Trigger Housing with Pre-Travel and Over-Travel adjustments.  As others have said, the stock Timney trigger really has an excess amount of pre-travel for a competition trigger.  I had already been using the modified Vanek Trigger Housing with my previous trigger from DK Triggers (no longer in business) and continued to use it when I installed the Timney trigger.  I did modify the Timney trigger to take full advantage of the adjustment range that the Vanek Housing provides.  What I did was pull the red safety blade out of the trigger and did some work with a Dremel, file, and sandpaper to add a relief cut on the backside of the safety blade.  As anyone familiar with this type of modification already knows, this allows you to remove additional Pre-Travel to suit the individual user.  So, I now have a fairly short Pre-Travel (still a small amount remains before hitting a soft wall), with virtually no Over-Travel, while still maintaining all Glock safety functions.

Wow…have I said yet that this Timney trigger really rocks…best ever Glock trigger for competition!!!

On 8/3/2021 at 7:51 PM, sx2gl35 said:

I posted earlier that I was having problems making the Alpha work in my G35 Gen3's.  I now have both functioning great with Alpha's.

I was running a slide from one with the frame from another and that was the problem.  When I matched those with the same serial number the trigger set, fired and re-set; no problems.

Interestingly, one of them runs great with a LWD 3.5 connector but the other would not...it needed a stock Glock 5# connector to function.

I'm changing over to the Alpha in all my G34's and 35's.

I have since installed new stock Glock "-" connectors in both of those guns and I like the reset; red spring used since original install of Alpha.

To those of you who provide "trigger pull weights," thank you!

Even more helpful would be a description of your process: do you give the Lyman Digital a sharp yank like JG, or a smooth steady pull...also like JG in many of the various vids.

Do you place the "hook" in the middle of the trigger, on the end of it, or do you ride the trigger guard like JG.  I like JG's trigger guard ride; it might be more consistent since the position never changes through a smooth steady pull.

With that information, comparisons can be made more easily...probably not even close to actual trigger pull weights if there is such a thing, but at least there might be more commonality.

5 hours ago, sx2gl35 said:

To those of you who provide "trigger pull weights," thank you!

Even more helpful would be a description of your process: do you give the Lyman Digital a sharp yank like JG, or a smooth steady pull...also like JG in many of the various vids.

Do you place the "hook" in the middle of the trigger, on the end of it, or do you ride the trigger guard like JG.  I like JG's trigger guard ride; it might be more consistent since the position never changes through a smooth steady pull.

With that information, comparisons can be made more easily...probably not even close to actual trigger pull weights if there is such a thing, but at least there might be more commonality.

Hook near the bottom of the trigger and slow steady pull.

Here too, hook near the bottom of the trigger and slow steady pull.

By the way, I'm using the heavier Red trigger return spring on my Timney.  Forgot to mention that before in the rundown of my setup.  I haven't done comparisons between the heavy and light springs, simply because I really like the strong positive reset provided by the heavy spring and don't think I would be happy with a lighter return.  In addition, I'm completely happy with the trigger pull weight of the completed installation in my gun and don't see a need to try to make it any lighter, which would simultaneously make the reset lighter.  I did measure the trigger pull with a "dead trigger", after the striker has been released, and the pull weight is right on 2 lbs 0oz, which is only 3 oz less than my normal trigger pull.  So, the Timney trigger also provides a nice dry-fire simulation compared to any other Glock trigger since all other triggers have a "dead trigger" that has no pull weight since it cannot simulate any type of "live trigger" feel.  Hope that all makes sense.

On 8/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, ShredderTactical said:

....As others have said, the stock Timney trigger really has an excess amount of pre-travel for a competition trigger.  I had already been using the modified Vanek Trigger Housing with my previous trigger from DK Triggers (no longer in business) and continued to use it when I installed the Timney trigger.  I did modify the Timney trigger to take full advantage of the adjustment range that the Vanek Housing provides.  What I did was pull the red safety blade out of the trigger and did some work with a Dremel, file, and sandpaper to add a relief cut on the backside of the safety blade.  As anyone familiar with this type of modification already knows, this allows you to remove additional Pre-Travel to suit the individual user.  So, I now have a fairly short Pre-Travel (still a small amount remains before hitting a soft wall), with virtually no Over-Travel, while still maintaining all Glock safety functions.

So I decided to mess with my other Timney trigger some more.  I put in a trigger housing with a set screw to take out the very little over travel this trigger has already.  If you look at the Timney trigger there is a little set screw that you screw in to shorten the pre travel.  If you do too much you bypass the safety.  So I did what ShredderTactical did; I file down the red safety blade and adjust the pre travel set screw.  HUGE difference.  While still not as good as the JG Alpha Omega upgrade, its damn good.  Wow.

Edited by sandflea316
More info

This morning I installed a T-Alpha in the G17 Gen3 nightstand gun that has less than 50 rounds through it, and was in box stock condition since new.

All measurements using my Lyman Digital and ruler and should not be trusted since this is not a scientific study, just my interpretation of what I think occurred.  Place the word "about" in front of all numbers.

Prior to T-Alpha install:

Average of 10 pulls performed five times and then averaged again; taken at "near bottom of trigger" using a slow steady pull in parallel to bore:  3# - 14.6oz.

Average of 10 pulls taken by dragging the hook on the trigger guard, since this is a more consistent method for me (twice):  2# - 9.6oz. and  2# - 1.4oz.

Subsequent to T-Alpha install:

Average of 10 pulls near bottom of trigger (twice):  2# - 1.0oz.  and   2# - 0.3ozs

Average of 10 pulls dragging hook on trigger guard (twice):  1# - 7.0ozs.  and  1# - 6.8ozs.

Super light take up is 3/16" to a solid wall; crisp break at 1/4"; 1/16" overtravel; and 1/8" to reset.

Back to the nightstand, a much happier gun!!!

6 minutes ago, dapribek said:

Not a 34 or 35, but my Gen 3 Glock 26, measures about 2lbs 8oz using a Lyman Digital Gauge. My trigger is a JG tuned Timney Alpha Trigger. It’s sweet!

Excellent, thanks for the Gen 3 info...is that a straight stock gun?

I think your buddies are right on the money. 

If I can produce a 2# trigger from a bone stock G17 Gen3 just by adding a Timney trigger kit, I'm wondering what can be done with a G34 Gen3, again totally unmolested.  And then there's a few aftermarket goodies, but I'm stuck on the gun that Timney designed the trigger for: "COMPATIBLE WITH STOCK GLOCK PISTOLS"

My 2 pins are on their way to Glock for replacement with 3 pins, so it should be 2 - 3 months until the County Clerk allows me to get my hands on them...I'll let you know then!

Crickets here, so I installed T-Alpha's in my G35 Gen3's today.  Those come with a "-" connector as you already know.  

I was hoping to remove the lightened striker, titanium trigger safety plunger and light spring, and the 4# striker spring and test them as stock guns, but I'm too lazy and I'll do that when my G34 Gen3 three pins arrive and not have to do all that work.  So these are lightly modded with pretty much run-of-the-mill enhancements.  The 4# striker spring works for me and my choice of primer, PF, recoil spring, overall function, etc.  These were not missed at all in the G17 Gen3.

Not surprisingly, the exact same trigger function measurements for the G17 Gen3 and T-Alpha as stated in my previous post, were identical to these G35 Gen3's and the T-Alpha...and here are the trigger pull numbers:

Average of three - 10 round pulls (near bottom of trigger) in the first G35 Gen3:  1# - 8.7oz.

Average of three - 10 round pulls (near bottom of trigger) in the second G35 Gen3:   1# - 5.6oz.

No, I'm not going to grind on my beautiful red trigger safety tabs...I like the light / minimal take-up.  (That might have been an issue "in the old days" when you completed the cocking function as part of the trigger pull; but not any more.) 

It's great to have some good stuff for a change; it's been a long 20 years for me...Thank you Timney!!!