Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timney Glock Alpha Competition trigger

tt350z

On 3/26/2021 at 5:48 PM, rowdyb said:

I have a 13# flat wire spring, ismi, on a jager guide rod in my 17.5 with the timney trigger. Every other spring is stock. I just have a delay in going into battery (when letting the slide go forward slowly) so I'm considering lowering my striker spring or upping the recoil spring.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm experiencing the same problem with my 13#. My 17# and 15# springs bring the slide back into battery though (g17 gen3). Everything is stock except for connector, trigger, and guide rod assembly.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, vicee8 said:

Did you ever figure this out? I'm experiencing the same problem with my 13#. My 17# and 15# springs bring the slide back into battery though (g17 gen3). Everything is stock except for connector, trigger, and guide rod assembly.

run a 4.5 wolff striker spring, make sure connector is bent perfectly and not putting a ton of side pressure on the slide, should work fine with the 4.5 striker spring, I have run 11 pound recoil zero issues. the striker spring makes a huge difference

Edited by Sinister4

Yep, I re-bent my connector (an aftermarket one) and went with just a barely lighter striker spring I pulled out of a pile of spares from another gun (P10c). My timney has been great and i've had no issues. Hell, it even lights off small rifle magnum primers.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Yep, I re-bent my connector (an aftermarket one) and went with just a barely lighter striker spring I pulled out of a pile of spares from another gun (P10c). My timney has been great and i've had no issues. Hell, it even lights off small rifle magnum primers.

Good to hear about small rifle Magnum primers. Just got a few bricks of 450s because I found them locally and didn't even consider trying in my Glock but I will now.

I installed a Timney in my Gen 4 34.  5# striker spring, factory dot connector, reduced power plunger spring, and the light trigger return spring gives me a nice 3# trigger. I’d like to try a minus connector at some point though 

Ok just some updates on on the trigger after spending time shooting matches.  I have two Timney triggers.  One is from the factory and the other was sent to Johnny Glock for his Alpha Omega service.  

Glock 1 has the factory Alpha and Glock 2 has the Alpha Omega

Obviously the biggest draw to me is the ability to lower trigger pull weight without sacrificing reliability of igniting hard primers.  With that in mind most of the shooting I used steel cased ammo unless I shot a match indoors where that ammo is prohibited.

Glock 1:

Glock 19

Threaded barrel

Ghost connector

Kagwerks extended slide release

6.5# striker spring

Everything else stock

Polished all contact points and used grease

Current trigger pull weight after approximately 400 rounds and tons of dry firing is 2 lb 13 oz

Glock 2:

Brownells 19 slide w/ RMR

80% Arms GST-9 frame

Threaded barrel

Apex connector 

4# striker spring

Lightened striker

TIN plunger w/ lighter plunger spring

Jentra Stainless channel liner

Ghost maritime turbo cups

Polished all contact points and was greased when it came back from JG

Current trigger pull weight after approximately 700 rounds and tons of dry firing is 2 lbs .03 oz

Thoughts and takeaways from last couple of months running the two glocks:

Glock 1

-Was able to remove a lot of the pre-travel by filing down the trigger safety tab and adjusting the set screw in front of the trigger.  Now pre-travel feels similar to the JG Alpha Omega

-Uttlerly reliable using steel cased hard primered ammo

-After break in trigger pull below advertised 3 lb pull on glock 1; glock 2 is a tiny hair over 2 lb

-Putting glock 1's stock slide with 6.5 lb striker spring on glock 2's frame with Alpha Omega trigger only increase pull weight by 1.5 oz for total of 2 lb 2 oz.  So striker spring really does not effect pull weight like traditional glock triggers.  So more than likely I'm going to change glock 2's striker spring to a 6.5 lb spring

-also I don't think sending the Alpha trigger to JG is totally necessary.

By filing down the trigger safety and adjusting the pre travel set screw it's close to the Alpha Omega.  The Alpha Omega comes with a lightened striker with 4 and 4.5 lb striker springs but from my experience it's unnecessary.

After work today I will try gun with ammo loaded with the following small rifle primers:

CCI BR-4

CCI 400

CCI 450

Remington 7 1/2

Edited by sandflea316
More info

If all your safeties work after "filing down the trigger safety tab," please tell me how much you removed in thousands (.000)...if that is possible.  If any safeties don't work now, please disregard.

Glock 19, Gen?

Have you tried the factory Glock (-) connector?

2 hours ago, sx2gl35 said:
If all your safeties work after "filing down the trigger safety tab," please tell me how much you removed in thousands (.000)...if that is possible.  If any safeties don't work now, please disregard.

Glock 19, Gen?

Have you tried the factory Glock (-) connector?

there is no set amount, if you are not totally familiar with working on the gun and exactly how the parts interact I would take it to a good gunsmith or just shoot it as it is.  If its a carry gun I would NOT put a timney trigger in it

4 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

Ok just some updates on on the trigger after spending time shooting matches.  I have two Timney triggers.  One is from the factory and the other was sent to Johnny Glock for his Alpha Omega service.  

Question are you running stock recoil springs ?? just wondering

Edited by Sinister4

2 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

there is no set amount, if you are not totally familiar with working on the gun and exactly how the parts interact I would take it to a good gunsmith or just shoot it as it is.  If its a carry gun I would NOT put a timney trigger in it

Thank you for your personal opinions, and for saving the masses of uninformed from annihilation.

As for the Timney Alpha in a carry gun, good on you if that is your belief, but I call BS on that totally irresponsible, baloney claptrap. 

Now @Sandflea, actually I would like to know how much you "filed" even if a safety was defeated...please respond as your input is valuable to everyone, having already been there and done that...and thank you for taking the time to do a detailed analysis! 

Stock rsa on both.  May try a lower weight on the carry optic one (glock 2)

Both are gen 3

As far as how  muchI filed off the tab.  Didn't measure but it is still functional and I err more on the safe side.  Prolly could take a little more off but not going risk disabling it cause can't put material back.

Only used connectors I had in gun previously, so no haven't tried a glock minus connector 

Edited by sandflea316
Info

21 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

I'll try to take pics tomorrow of the modified trigger safety tab and see if I can give yall an idea

Didn't get chance to go to range, maybe tomorrow as well

That's excellent; I appreciate you taking the time to do that!

Mine are Gen3 as well and my findings are about the same as yours.  

My competition guns are 34's and 35's and I'm running sub 2# Alphas with the stock Glock (-) connector, Jager Striker, 4# striker spring and Ti plunger with light spring, otherwise completely stock.  Looking into doing some filing myself and that is why I ask.

Love the Timney in my carry G17 Gen3; couldn't ask for a better, safer trigger that's a joy to shoot!  Amazing isn't it when you can spend only $150 and get the best trigger ever made for a Glock.

Thank you for sharing your findings in this most excellent Technical forum where all can learn and profit from the experiences so gladly shared by the more experienced among us.
Edited by sx2gl35
Added Billy's striker.

Ok I just took it apart to measure how much I took off the trigger tab.

Approximately .085".   If you choose to do the same, remember to go slow and test fit as you go.  Just cause I removed that much doesn't mean you can or should.  GO SLOW!  I didn't even bother to remove it trigger shoe from bar to file down the tab, don't care about looks, just functionality.

Also glock 1 is my carry gun as well.

I can send a couple pics if anyone wants to post it here.  Don't feel like trying to mess hosting as I'm using my phone to interact and it's not intuitive.

Need to make a correction;

Glock 1 has the Apex connector and the glock 2 carry optics has the ghost connector.  So

Edited by sandflea316
Info

11 minutes ago, sandflea316 said:

Approximately .085".   If you choose to do the same, remember to go slow and test fit as you go.  Just cause I removed that much doesn't mean you can or should.  GO SLOW!  I didn't even bother to remove it trigger shoe from bar to file down the tab, don't care about looks, just functionality.

I can send a couple pics if anyone wants to post it here.  Don't feel like trying to mess hosting as I'm using my phone to interact and it's not intuitive.

Need to make a correction;

Glock 1 has the Apex connector and the glock 2 carry optics has the ghost connector.  So

Sure glad I asked; thank you for doing that and for sharing the information...much appreciated!!!

20 minutes ago, sandflea316 said:

So I can be clear in my mind, I'm assuming you mean the part of the trigger safety that's behind the trigger, that clears the frame cut when disabled by a finger? 

And, after this filing on the trigger safety it still tested functional?

5 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

So I can be clear in my mind, I'm assuming you mean the part of the trigger safety that's behind the trigger, that clears the frame cut when disabled by a finger? 

And, after this filing on the trigger safety it still tested functional?

Yes that is correct.  Still functional with a little day light between the tab and frame.  Was careful not to over do and totally remove its functionality.

Not advertising people should do it, it's a dang fine trigger as is.  Just informing what I did to make it mo betta

Edited by sandflea316
Add more info

OK. Gotcha! That's good to know.

I'm just still trying to figure out how it's different. I get that you 'desensitized' the trigger safety clearance, like folks used to and still do with 1911 and 2011 grip safeties, but that didn't change the trigger pull on those. I didn't think it would on a Glock, either.

I must be missing something here.

It didn't necessarily change the trigger pull.

On a Glock and similar striker guns, the first pull is always longer and after the reset if you ride the trigger, the pull is shorter as long as you don't completely let off on the trigger.

All I did was remove about 90% of the initial first pull pre travel.

In a sense it now feels a lot like a well tune SAO gun

Does that make sense? 

Edited by sandflea316
Info

I've made a few from billet to alter the spring force as well as the take up, of course you also have to alter the ramp on the trigger bar birds beak as you remove take up for the firing pin block to still function correctly. Picture before I send them out for hard anodize. 

P1010010.JPG

Edited by Sinister4

13 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

It didn't necessarily change the trigger pull.

On a Glock and similar striker guns, the first pull is always longer and after the reset if you ride the trigger, the pull is shorter as long as you don't completely let off on the trigger.

All I did was remove about 90% of the initial first pull pre travel.

In a sense it now feels a lot like a well tune SAO gun

Does that make sense? 

Yes.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, sx2gl35 said:

Love the Timney in my carry G17 Gen3; couldn't ask for a better, safer trigger that's a joy to shoot!  Amazing isn't it when you can spend only $150 and get the best trigger ever made for a Glock.

I love mine as well for my gen5 34, I got it on the release date and it's what kept me with glocks.

The local production GM has an old 17 with 250k rounds on it that is pretty much all stock. He's been contemplating changing over to CZ for competing but after trying the Timney it's made the decision even harder for him and he said he actually prefers the Timney Glock trigger over the CZ he's been running for the past 3 months.

Honestly, the new Timney trigger is the best thing that's happened to Glock. I was talking with the GSSF guys that were here a couple weeks ago and asked if Glock was ever planning to make a better competition gun like Sig has but it sounds like there is no interest in doing so.

IMO, it's a true game changer for glocks.  I actually considered dumping my glocks because I hated the trigger especially after using my 2011 and CZ/Tanfos in competition.

Now I can go back to glock and it feels more natural for me.

Now only if glock can introduce a grip frame similar to the SIG TXG.

I was all set to file about .040 off the Timney in my backup G34.3 just to test it, and I decided not to.

The take-up is negligible, it's super smooth, little if any pressure, you have to prep the trigger on the drive to the target anyway, and I have never felt disadvantaged with the Timney's take-up.  So my time is better spent perfecting my presentation skills until I catch up with the hardware.

So I cleaned it, hooked it 10 times (1# - 7.1ozs avg.) and went to the range for a great day shooting 4 Aces.  

@sandflea316, I had a similar experience with a Walther Q5 Steel Frame Pro; bought it for the Dynamic Trigger (worth every penny), but I could not hold on to the short, fat grip even with LOK's.  Then the Timney Alpha came out and resolved all the Glock trigger issues...I sold the Q5 to a very good and deserving home.  Sure wish the Glocks looked as good as the Q5 SF Pro...and weighed as much too!