Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Legion- Best Upgrades & Gear for Carry Optics?

RobE1010

On 12/23/2020 at 10:00 AM, BillChunn said:

For me, pre-travel does make a difference.  I prefer a solid wall with very little trigger movement.  If the pre-travel screw is set in too far, the trigger does not reset.  There is still some pre-travel movement with how I set my AC trigger.  It moves the minimum distance to cam the striker safety out of the way. The striker safety is still functional so the gun is drop safe.  It was tested with a snap cap in place and dropped to the floor from waist height, directly on the beavertail and the muzzle several times.  The striker never released.

YMMV

BC

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that when you dropped your gun on the muzzle it was not on a concrete floor. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ddc said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that when you dropped your gun on the muzzle it was not on a concrete floor. 

Correct, you are safely ensconced on your limb.  It was on carpet and that may not have been the exact Dallas Police testing procedure.  Bottom line, for my purposes the AC trigger at it's current setting is acceptable.  

The P320's that fired when dropped were NOT the Legion and had not gone through the voluntary repair program that Sig offered.  Go to 2:37 in this video and their Legion was dropped so many times the beavertail broke off.

BC

2 minutes ago, BillChunn said:

Correct, you are safely ensconced on your limb.  It was on carpet and that may not have been the exact Dallas Police testing procedure.  Bottom line, for my purposes the AC trigger at it's current setting is acceptable.  

The P320's that fired when dropped were NOT the Legion and had not gone through the voluntary repair program that Sig offered.  Go to 2:37 in this video and their Legion was dropped so many times the beavertail broke off.

BC

Do you understand how the striker safety works?

Edited by Rich406

The striker safety requires pre travel to work correctly. When the trigger is forward the striker safety is engaged and the gun cannot fire. When the trigger pre travel is removed the trigger pushes up on the striker safety and the safety is disengaged.  Without the striker safety engaged, the only thing keeping the striker from slipping off the sear and potentially discharging the gun, is the tension created by the sear springs. You may drop it 100 times without issue, but the potential is there, and given the right circumstances the gun will go off..

I spent some time today trying to determine exactly when the striker safety is on and off. I came to the conclusion that the safety might only be partially depressed and not be fully released when the trigger is pressed to the wall. That said, I’m no gunsmith and I didn’t sleep at a holiday Inn express last night.  I also don’t have a AC trigger installed, I was using the GG kit. So take it as you will...

On 12/28/2020 at 6:24 AM, BillChunn said:

Did TSA fit your Barsto barrel?  If so, how did it come out?  With the new barrel and fitting job, what pound recoil spring are you using?

BC

Yes TSA fitted a BarSto in my main and my backup has a semi-fit drop in from BarSto that needed throating to plunk 1.13" 147gr FP.  I tried a drop in BarSto first on my main gun and it didn't help but it helped my backup.  The TSA fitted BarSto came out well for me and has given me the confidence to go back to 147gr as it can group 1" at 15y off hand where as before it was 4-5" with my factory barrel.  My factory test load was a hot Precision Bullets 125gr RN 1.105" 4.0gr WST.  No matter what I did for the factory barrel it didn't group well.  The root cause is the slide, something I didn't consider early on until I watched TSA's facebook video on how he fits a barrel.   I have mid 2019 builds the factory barrel rattles forward and backwards and side to side.  On the range most guys I've asked who picked up Legions have parked them as backups and run their X5 with a TXG grip plus GG trigger but they did mention their Legion didn't rattle quite as much as mine did.  They didn't elaborate but like everything else in life watch what they do not what they say.      

Edited by Stician

22 hours ago, Stician said:

Yes TSA fitted a BarSto in my main and my backup has a semi-fit drop in from BarSto that needed throating to plunk 1.13" 147gr FP.  I tried a drop in BarSto first on my main gun and it didn't help but it helped my backup.  The TSA fitted BarSto came out well for me and has given me the confidence to go back to 147gr as it can group 1" at 15y off hand where as before it was 4-5" with my factory barrel.  My factory test load was a hot Precision Bullets 125gr RN 1.105" 4.0gr WST.  No matter what I did for the factory barrel it didn't group well.  The root cause is the slide, something I didn't consider early on until I watched TSA's facebook video on how he fits a barrel.   I have mid 2019 builds the factory barrel rattles forward and backwards and side to side.  On the range most guys I've asked who picked up Legions have parked them as backups and run their X5 with a TXG grip plus GG trigger but they did mention their Legion didn't rattle quite as much as mine did.  They didn't elaborate but like everything else in life watch what they do not what they say.      

Thanks for the feedback.  My primary is getting the Barsto fitted by Robert.  Expecting it back soon as he e-mailed on December 24th saying he was starting the project.

BC

Current upgrades to Gun #1:

- Grayguns Trigger System upgrade Reduced trigger pull to 2 lbs 11 oz

-- Trigger alone brought it down to ~5.5 lbs

-- Trigger with pins and sleeve brought it down to ~4.5 lbs

-- Full Trigger System ~2.7 lbs

- Grayguns TXG Grip - Pretty grippy and good weight...Gun weight:

-- 38.10 oz no mag
  -- 42.50 oz mag 0 rds
  -- 50.50 oz mag 21 rds
  -- 51.70 oz mag 24 rds

- Grayguns Steel Guide Rod - 15# spring (might try 13-14#)

Future upgrades to Gun #2:

- Sig Armorer's Competition Action work

- Tungsten Guide Rod - 14# spring

- Grayguns TXG Grip

- NORSSO Slide

Mag extension: Debating TTI vs Henning

Barrell:  BarSto is a good barrel, from my research and some comments on the thread not a noticeable difference

Edited by cperazza

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, paulnascar24 said:

Hi Guys, Great info on how everyone personalizes their X5 Legions.

For the the 2 posts that said they are using a Romeo3 XL (@BillChunn and @echotango)

What Optic plate are you using?

I'm in the middle of researching my options.

Thanks,

Paul

As with all the above individuals, Springer Precision on both my Legions.  (link)

8 hours ago, cperazza said:

Leverage some help:  So I am set to run SRO/RMR/Holosun on a full size NORSSO Slide with a TXG grip.  I do have a R3XL, what plate will I need?

Thinking it will be the same Springer Precision plate as it matches the mounting holes for the standard Sig slide.  If the Norsso mount holes are the same, the Springer plate would be needed to mount the Romeo3 XL.

BC

18 hours ago, cperazza said:

Leverage some help:  So I am set to run SRO/RMR/Holosun on a full size NORSSO Slide with a TXG grip.  I do have a R3XL, what plate will I need?

Looking at the NORSSO website, I don't believe that those slides are set up to accept plates like the factory Sig slide is.  Might be stuck with just the Trijicon/Holosun footprint and optics that fit that footprint (especially because of the forward mounting bosses).

image.png.39d113b93986c09d25dc58af9d1ad935.png

Edited by cjmill87

9 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

Looking at the NORSSO website, I don't believe that those slides are set up to accept plates like the factory Sig slide is.  Might be stuck with just the Trijicon/Holosun footprint and optics that fit that footprint (especially because of the forward mounting bosses).

image.png.39d113b93986c09d25dc58af9d1ad935.png

Just talked to NORSSO today...They recommended Springer Precision or a RMR to R3XL plate.  I am settling with the idea of a SRO/Holosun 507.  I currently have a HS508T on my XCarry w/ RMR cut.

41 minutes ago, paulnascar24 said:

I noticed that @echotango is using a Tungsten Guide Rod, is this a popular option for the x5 legion?
I would assume that it's more a personal feel. I am getting one for my TP9SFX, was wondering if I should get one for the X5 Legion as well.

I have a tungsten guide rod in one of my slides. It normally resides on a tungsten infused grip ‘lower’ it is very stable shooting gun. I also have another slide with a Gray Guns stainless guide rod. 

2 hours ago, paulnascar24 said:

I noticed that @echotango is using a Tungsten Guide Rod, is this a popular option for the x5 legion?
I would assume that it's more a personal feel. I am getting one for my TP9SFX, was wondering if I should get one for the X5 Legion as well.

Do a search and you'll find several threads on Legions with tungsten guide rods. There is one a couple down from this one. 

Personally, I prefer it.

Edited by echotango

12 hours ago, echotango said:

Personally, I prefer it.

^^^^ Same.

Have one in the primary but just the stock guide rod in the backup.  It is noticable.  When I have a spare buck and a quarter lying around, will get another one for the backup gun. 

BC

When I first got my Legion I messed around with different springs and a tungsten guide rod. I eventually settled on the stock 14lb spring and steel guide rod while shooting irons.  With my carry optics Legion and a Romeo3 Max mounted I am using the stock 12lb spring and a tungsten guide rod. 

I found the iron sighted setup dipped a bit too much with the tungsten guide rod and 14lb spring, but with the steel guide rod my shots stacked on top of each other.  I did recently get some brass basepads from a buddy starting a new business, so when i get a chance I want to try them with the tungsten guide rod and see if it balances out.