Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 primer questions, Allen bolt ?

• 4 weeks later...

I am gonna check this out on mine, maybe I can get it to be more reliable. Really getting fed up with my 550 to the point I am ready to just buy a new press.  seems I am lucky to get 100 rounds an hour done due to constant primer feed issues.
My press is about 30yo, but I bought a new primer assembly and new dog leg shaped operating rod..
In the past my main issue was flipped primers, but that was usually a problem with the folding trap door on the primer catcher. New smooth pin on that and watch for a spent primer junk to be sticking out the bottom of the door fixed that.

Now the common issue is primers not getting picked up. Like the slide isnt getting pushed back far enough, the bar seems to occasionally jam and not go back. I have had it apart multiple times, cleaned it, polished it, polished the spacer plate, loosend the bolt down screws a bit. Even bought one of those after market plates with the bearing on the side... ( dont waste your money) Didnt help and it is thicker than the dillon plate, pulled it out last time and went back stock.
Latest issue I just rotated the cup 180 degrees and it started working.. although no burrs, do aparent bends nothing.

Any thoughts ?

Yes, I had the same issue. Loosen the mounting bracket on the black primer feed tube, the one the dog leg rod goes into,  and turn it slightly counter clockwise.

I'm talking  1/32 of a turn. Just enough to cause the dog leg rod to put pressure on the outside of the primer feed slide.

When facing the press, you want the primer feed slide to have pressure pushing it to the right

Edited by ysrracer

sounds good, cause I usually have to tap the slide to the right then it springs back the hair needed for primer to drop. Thats why I bought the spacer plate with the roller bearing on the back,, but didnt help,, seems it would get tight and jam there.

Right now I want another press, and once arrived thinking of sending mine in for a rebuild.

I had some issues with my large primers feeding too. I took out the primer magazine and replaced the  plastic tip as it was trashed ........because the primer press was not at the  right length. simple fix. take the  primer slide off.  get  a  used primer and turn it in the cup used  side up  turn it upside  down  and press it into the  table top. open the allen screw on   the side of the  primer press and you will feel the spring open a bit. now  -tighten the  screw-- you should be  good.

also watch as you move the press  handle-- check the primer tower the rear area with the sheet metal strip should move backward as you hit the limits of the down stroke.  you should then see the primer in the cup on the up stroke

• 5 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 11:34 AM, ysrracer said:

Yes, I had the same issue. Loosen the mounting bracket on the black primer feed tube, the one the dog leg rod goes into,  and turn it slightly counter clockwise.

I'm talking  1/32 of a turn. Just enough to cause the dog leg rod to put pressure on the outside of the primer feed slide.

When facing the press, you want the primer feed slide to have pressure pushing it to the right

Thanks for the tip. Both mounting screws on the old 550 primer assembly were stripped... Dillon sent a free replacement part, but primer slide wasn't returning all the way. Very slight rotation counterclockwise and back in business for another 35 years.

• 6 months later...

My present 550 problem is sideways small pistol primers.  I can see between the frame and primer feed that they are coming out of the primer feed sideways in the cup, not flipping against the shell plate.  I have caught a number by watching through that gap but sure as the world, I take my attention off of it and I will get one on edge.  Primers are too precious to waste, not to mention the delay and aggravation.

.45 case on the follower rod to add a little hold down - no help.

Fresh yellow plastic feed tip - no help.

Varying tightness of the magazine cap holding down the tube - no help.

I thought to adjust the cup position set screw #13961 as shown above.  I could not budge it.

I am getting more now I am loading CCI primers but it wasn't zero with Winchester or Federal.  

22 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

My present 550 problem is sideways small pistol primers.  I can see between the frame and primer feed that they are coming out of the primer feed sideways in the cup, not flipping against the shell plate.  I have caught a number by watching through that gap but sure as the world, I take my attention off of it and I will get one on edge.  Primers are too precious to waste, not to mention the delay and aggravation.

I thought to adjust the cup position set screw #13961 as shown above.  I could not budge it.

I am getting more now I am loading CCI primers but it wasn't zero with Winchester or Federal.  

There could be some residue/gunk inside the primer tube, try push a q tip though the tube. :)

On 12/23/2020 at 8:28 AM, Joe4d said:

the bar seems to occasionally jam and not go back

Yep, same issue with two 550 primer feed systems. The answer is really simple and requires a file and a little bit of work.

The assembly the primer bar rides back and forth bulges around the holes that hold the assembly to the press. Simple dismantle the assemble file and smooth the sides down until the channel is flat on both sides. Reassemble and it runs back and forth with out any binding.

PB020016.jpg

Here's an old thread on the subject:

I do have an aftermarket plate with a support bearing under the assembly to help with long term wear. 

On 12/3/2021 at 3:05 PM, HesedTech said:

Yep, same issue with two 550 primer feed systems. The answer is really simple and requires a file and a little bit of work.

The assembly the primer bar rides back and forth bulges around the holes that hold the assembly to the press. Simple dismantle the assemble file and smooth the sides down until the channel is flat on both sides. Reassemble and it runs back and forth with out any binding.

PB020016.jpg

Here's an old thread on the subject:

I do have an aftermarket plate with a support bearing under the assembly to help with long term wear. 

I bought that bearing plate, used it for awhile, basically seemed to do nothing. 
That pic you posted is it the part on the primer tune bottom or the press ? kinda zoomed in to far to see. All my stuff is packed at the moment, have just moved to KANSAS !  Looks like some more clubs nearby than I had in VA

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

I bought that bearing plate, used it for awhile, basically seemed to do nothing. 

Yep, same here. What did work was not over tightening the two Allen bolts holding the primer feed in place (Dillon had replaced the bolts with thumb screws) and squaring and polishing the primer feed bar and housing with a file and a stone to remove any high spots.

Edited by ysrracer

8 hours ago, Joe4d said:

That pic you posted is it the part on the primer tune bottom or the press ? kinda zoomed in to far to see. All my stuff is packed at the moment, have just moved to KANSAS !  Looks like some more clubs nearby than I had in VA

It's the bottom where the primer tube attaches and is then bolted to the plate. What you are seeing is a view with the tube assembly removed from the press and looking into the channel where the primer bar runs. The metal isn't the hardest and on both my 550s it deforms after a few too many tightening sequencings. Thus a bulge is created and causes the bar to hang up.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:23 AM, TheChewycookie said:

That should be the slide pickup adjustment screw #13961. Screenshots below are from the 550c manual: https://dilloncdn.com/manuals/dillon-rl550c-manual-english.pdf

image.png.58d2f374f3b7aa449c51ef1c9618712d.pngimage.png.f29702ff8906c90f62beafbc4b106c9e.png

I cleaned the primer magazine, yuck, it needed it.

The screw was very tight, but I finally got it loose and have turned it both ways with no effect.  I am getting more primers on edge than ever.  They are on edge coming out of the feed, I can see them through the gap between frame and tube, they are not getting turned going through the shell plate.

Recommendations? 

On 12/2/2021 at 1:29 PM, Jim Watson said:

Jim, I think the small primer feed tip should be BLUE, part number 14024.

Nolan

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Just making sure, doesn't Dillon still have a 'no questions asked' warranty policy on all things 550? 

It has been a few years since I called them with a 550 question, when I did the advice was on the spot. 

They still do. In fact, I called to let them know I had a problem with the primer system and they sent me a replacement part free of charge. 

9 hours ago, Nugget said:

I can’t say enough good about Dillon and Vortex. They 100% stand behind they’re warranties. Even when I admit I’m at fault.

A caveat is that the warranty varies with Dillon. The machines that they consider to be industrial (1050 in my case) do not have the same warranty as the 550. That is not me saying the 1050 warranty is bad, just not as good. 

17 hours ago, Nolan said:

Jim, I think the small primer feed tip should be BLUE, part number 14024.

Nolan

Oops, right, I replaced the BLUE feed tip.  (My yellow pickup tip is kind of flabby, too, which explains my error.)

Next I will change what I call the "ivory peg" primer stop pin 14051 and fiddle with the set screw some more.

ETA. That helped.  I had two tipped primers in 100 and one of those shook into position as the bar traveled.  That would have been par for the course in 15 - 20 before I changed the pin.

Edited by Jim Watson
Tested.