Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does adding the bushing measureably increase accuracy

BuckRimfire

I've about convinced myself that a blue Shadow 2 optic-ready is the thing for me.  I'm curious if anyone has ever seen group sizes for these vs. the orange version with the barrel bushing from a Ransom Rest, or other test that would convince you of a difference in "mechanical" accuracy conferred by the addition of the barrel bushing?

It's hardly relevant to my choice, since I'm far too poor a bullseye shooter to ever notice the difference, but I'm curious anyway.

I’m in the market for a CO pistol and debating the S2 CO or the S2 Accu CO.  100% going to be used for USPSA CO so not sure if the accu is worth the price increase for the sport. Planning on running a SRO and hoping to make a purchase by the end of the month. I’ve also thought about the S2 orange since I have a TSO I shoot in limited, but don’t want to get that and have to cut the slide for an optic on top of the price.  

I just picked up a Shadow 2 Orange this spring.  Incredible gun, very accurate and very reliable.  I want to be able to shoot it in CO,  but couldn't see myself cutting up the slide.  I installed a CZ Custom dovetail mount and have very happy with it.  I had an AccuShadow with the RDS mount and I like the way the Orange points better.  I do have to allow for about an inch at 7 and 30 yards.

On 11/17/2020 at 12:00 PM, BadShot said:

I just picked up a Shadow 2 Orange this spring.  Incredible gun, very accurate and very reliable.  I want to be able to shoot it in CO,  but couldn't see myself cutting up the slide.  I installed a CZ Custom dovetail mount and have very happy with it.  I had an AccuShadow with the RDS mount and I like the way the Orange points better.  I do have to allow for about an inch at 7 and 30 yards.

I also was in a dilemma with doing this, I ended up buying the optics ready blue version yesterday...then I realized that multiple companies make a dovetail rear sight mounted optics ready plate for less than $100 w/o needing to mill the slide....bummer....I would have totally just bought a regular version and CGW upgrade it. I wanted to pounce on either a Shadow 2 orange or accushadow but decided I wanted a lower pull weight by putting in CGW components.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:49 PM, BuckRimfire said:

I've about convinced myself that a blue Shadow 2 optic-ready is the thing for me.  I'm curious if anyone has ever seen group sizes for these vs. the orange version with the barrel bushing from a Ransom Rest, or other test that would convince you of a difference in "mechanical" accuracy conferred by the addition of the barrel bushing?

It's hardly relevant to my choice, since I'm far too poor a bullseye shooter to ever notice the difference, but I'm curious anyway.

Judging from my own personal experience the S2 Blue with the stock factory bushing works very well but if you want to take it to the next level get the Cajun 10X bushing the the groupings will become a LOT tighter!  But with that being said, it all boils down to shooting fundamentals and the pistol is just a tool a nice tool at that but I've always said that you can't buy performance.  Now I have the S2 Blue with the upgraded 10X bushing and the S2 Orange both super nice pistols and the Orange has a "slight" advantage to the S2 Blue 10X bushing.  Personally, I don't think the extra cost of the S2 Orange justifies the cost when you can get "almost" the same performance with an upgraded 10X bushing with the regular S2 Blue and save your money for more components to load ammo, training, accessories, etc etc. 

I have an S2 with the works from CGW, all done myself.  The 10X bushing takes out noticeable play in the fit, and shooting paper off a bag does tighten things up a bit.  In my gun, I had to had fit the bushing so I could just barely install the barrel.  Does it matter for USPSA or steel?  Probably not for me at least.  I just couldn't see leaving that one small flaw in such a nice gun.  What helped me the most was the reach reduction for better DA first shot as I have med hands at best.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:34 PM, chgofirefighter said:

Judging from my own personal experience the S2 Blue with the stock factory bushing works very well but if you want to take it to the next level get the Cajun 10X bushing the the groupings will become a LOT tighter!  But with that being said, it all boils down to shooting fundamentals and the pistol is just a tool a nice tool at that but I've always said that you can't buy performance.  Now I have the S2 Blue with the upgraded 10X bushing and the S2 Orange both super nice pistols and the Orange has a "slight" advantage to the S2 Blue 10X bushing.  Personally, I don't think the extra cost of the S2 Orange justifies the cost when you can get "almost" the same performance with an upgraded 10X bushing with the regular S2 Blue and save your money for more components to load ammo, training, accessories, etc etc. 

is the 10x bushing fit with the Shadow 2 barrel? 
It looks like CGW says that it does not.
curious

5 hours ago, GMP said:

I have an S2 with the works from CGW, all done myself.  The 10X bushing takes out noticeable play in the fit, and shooting paper off a bag does tighten things up a bit.  In my gun, I had to had fit the bushing so I could just barely install the barrel.  Does it matter for USPSA or steel?  Probably not for me at least.  I just couldn't see leaving that one small flaw in such a nice gun.  What helped me the most was the reach reduction for better DA first shot as I have med hands at best.

How much "fitting" did it take you? like I mentioned above the CGW site mentioned that it doesn't fit  

1 hour ago, MicahSwan said:

How much "fitting" did it take you? like I mentioned above the CGW site mentioned that it doesn't fit  

This is a 10X bushing for a Shadow 2 and it may require fine fitting the ID to the barrel, but the bushing is designed for the gun and fits the slide perfectly.  After pressing and pinning it in the gun, I worked the ID with #600 paper until the barrel would barely go it at the right angle with a little force. I then polished it.  Once broken in, you have to get the right angle but no force required, fits perfect.  If you punch paper or just enjoy precision its a good mod. 

2 hours ago, MicahSwan said:

is the 10x bushing fit with the Shadow 2 barrel? 
It looks like CGW says that it does not.
curious

Yes, the bushing is made for the Shadow 2 platform.  Requires fitting, etc.  I had mine done by CGW since my slide was there getting machined for an optic figured why not get the bushing installed as well...  Best money spent thus far!  

cool. 

I'll give it a whirl only because it's the off season, and I like to fool with these guns. 
I realize much of the perfect grouping after the human error is consistent reloads, but all of it is fun if you enjoy this type of stuff.
I think 99.9% is good trigger control, and so it's all a waste of money anyhow, but who needs money  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, BadShot said:

I had the dove tail mount on shadow couldn't bring myself to doing it either lol

15 hours ago, AngeloConde said:

I had the dove tail mount on shadow couldn't bring myself to doing it either lol

I just installed the CZC universal plate on my S2O. I was not a fan of these generally because the ones I've used in the past were alum. Makes it hard to keep the screws torqued, and they are easy to pull the threads out of if you use Trijicon specs (15in lbs). But this CZC plate is made from steel and there is no issue with torquing. The locating dowels are a very tight fit too. This is a big step above the rest for sure.

Time will tell if I get the slide milled. I have an extra complete slide from a regular S2. So I may just stick the money into it with a bushing and optic mount. Hate to mill the stock slide, but at the same time, I feel like I'm leaving something on the table if I'm not shooting that slide.

4 hours ago, jejb said:

I just installed the CZC universal plate on my S2O. I was not a fan of these generally because the ones I've used in the past were alum. Makes it hard to keep the screws torqued, and they are easy to pull the threads out of if you use Trijicon specs (15in lbs). But this CZC plate is made from steel and there is no issue with torquing. The locating dowels are a very tight fit too. This is a big step above the rest for sure.

Time will tell if I get the slide milled. I have an extra complete slide from a regular S2. So I may just stick the money into it with a bushing and optic mount. Hate to mill the stock slide, but at the same time, I feel like I'm leaving something on the table if I'm not shooting that slide.

Yea milling the slide gets me kind of nervous lol. Im thinking of getting back into USPSA CO on the fence if I should get the S2 or X5 legion only downside is id have to get the s2 milled or use the mount but idk if it would make weight

Ohhh the choices lol

8 hours ago, AngeloConde said:

Yea milling the slide gets me kind of nervous lol. Im thinking of getting back into USPSA CO on the fence if I should get the S2 or X5 legion only downside is id have to get the s2 milled or use the mount but idk if it would make weight

Ohhh the choices lol

No need to worry about making weight now for the S2 since CO weight limit has been increased to 59 oz.

1 minute ago, George16 said:

It was increased February of this year iirc. I just had my shadow 2 milled a few months prior so I spent money for nothing 😠.

Oh man but I bet it looks sweet. Was thinking between the legion x5 and a shadow 2 or even and sp01 shadow