Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Professional Courtesy

Whoops!

Funny topic for an online forum - but as society moves further and further into a digital age, it’s going to become more and more of an issue.

Even funnier topic for a sport, where in general, a terrible basketball player in society is free to say how terrible They think Michael Jordan was.

But, let me try to relate it to the shooting sports and our sport in specific, as it doesn’t get much respect in comparison to many others.  

Also, our professionals aren’t making huge sums of money to play a game.  When a main source of income is classes that cost participants hundreds and not thousands of dollars - it’s obvious that the manufacturers and sponsors don’t respect much what we do either.

It’s my belief that respect starts from the inside out, we have to respect what we do before others will respect what we do.

A big part of that is identifying when someone does something well and acknowledging it.

That’s leadership, professional courtesy, respect, whatever you want to call it.

As a specific example, if a shooter who consistently places tops in the highest level of our competition misses one more target than the other shooters while trying to make up score, it isn’t respectful to him to say he thinks “hits aren’t important,” or “hits are optional.”

That’s a general stereotype that, when applied to the top shooters in our sport, simply won’t ever be true.

It also makes us look bad to outsiders and starts to make IDPA shooters think they are more talented than us.

Relating that to your profession, as an example, would make you angry.

For example, think of the two most important things in your profession.  Think about how you’ve been doing them so well for however many years.  

Then, think of someone else who can’t do them well saying that you don’t care about doing one of those two things you do.

It would suck, right?

In that regard, we should try to show the top shooters more respect here first, that’s one of the keys for the industry and general public to understand and respect what we do.

There’s a fine line between professional courtesy and constructive feedback.

In order to gain that respect, we can’t act like something is fine when it doesn’t pass the smell test.

That’s a different discussion for another time.

Edited by Whoops!

The nature of that reply stirs the pot.

Keep in mind, I’m not saying I don’t do any of the bad things I’m referencing in this post.

I’ve screwed up many times.

But, I can still talk about things we can all try to do to make life better for all of us.

And, I’m not going to single anyone out for doing anything.

But, this is a general way of thought we can all strive for.  Respect teaches respect.  Even to those who don’t know us.

Positivity to replace negativity, I suppose.

Nobody embraces the negativity, even if it’s more fun sometimes.

Edited by Whoops!

I’m saying we should all recognize the things we do well.  Especially in regard to the top shooters.

This stuff is hard.  Practical shooting in general is hard.  

The stuff a lot of us do is really impressive and crosses the lines of traditional sports.

Vocalize the successes we have instead of tiny bad things and stereotypes.  Point out the bad things as a way we can improve instead of as something we always do wrong.

Doing so would show respect to each other.

Even more importantly, it would build respect for all of us.

Edited by Whoops!

49 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Just because you have a keyboard and internet access doesn't mean you have to use it every day. 

Right.

Hey Matt, where were you at the 2020 Techwear Mid-Atlantic Sectional?

I get trying to be funny, but you notice how the positive personalities don’t stay here very long if they start posting?

You notice how some of the actual top shooters in the world have some of the most positive personalities?

2 hours ago, Whoops! said:

It also makes us look bad to outsiders and starts to make IDPA shooters think they are more talented than us.

It's interesting that in a post about being respectful of others with in the practical shooting community you disrespected all the shooters in one branch of practical shooting because you feel you have superior skills. 

1 minute ago, Racinready300ex said:

It's interesting that in a post about being respectful of others with in the practical shooting community you disrespected all the shooters in one branch of practical shooting because you feel you have superior skills. 

Exactly.  That’s my point.  How many people went through that and didn’t even see it?

Because it’s so ingrained in the culture.

It’s not cool.  It’s not helping anyone.  And yeah, it was absolutely wrong of me to say that.

2 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Wuss....wait this probably isn't the best thread to insult average shooters. 

And not the best place to call a gm average . . .

50 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Wuss....wait this probably isn't the best thread to insult average shooters. 

I was worried I might have Covid since I was in Florida 13 days earlier. I thought it would have been a dick move to show up if I was showing symptoms of an illness, so I did it for YOU!

37 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I was worried I might have Covid since I was in Florida 13 days earlier. I thought it would have been a dick move to show up if I was showing symptoms of an illness, so I did it for YOU!

I'm glad you didn't shoot, I zero'd stage 1 so you'd of just been one more person that beat me. And thank you for looking out for us. 

Someone is just trying to stir the pot here.  

Of course this sport is hard. Anything worth doing is hard until you put in all the practice and effort it takes to get out of the cellar.  

All of the  top professionals I've met over my 40 years of shooting IPSC and USPSA as well as SCSA and ICORE have been very helpful and no one has turn away from questions that I posed.  

Perhaps it's  your attitude that needs adjustment.

Just saying.  Now flame me.

26 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Someone is just trying to stir the pot here.  

Of course this sport is hard. Anything worth doing is hard until you put in all the practice and effort it takes to get out of the cellar.  

All of the  top professionals I've met over my 40 years of shooting IPSC and USPSA as well as SCSA and ICORE have been very helpful and no one has turn away from questions that I posed.  

Perhaps it's  your attitude that needs adjustment.

Just saying.  Now flame me.

I’m not going to flame you.

And I agree, the top professionals are very helpful.

My attitude definitely needs adjustment, but then, who’s doesn’t?  Can anyone say they’d make their mama proud with everything they do?  I can’t.

I think you’re taking the topic more personally than anyone needs to.

Im really not sure what I just read? 

When you say top shooters of the sport are you talking about like the Super Squad at Nationals?  Or the local M?  
Either way I try to respect everyone who participates and I've found 95% of the people involved helpful and respectful.

Did I miss something?