Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

uncoated hard cast bullets in a Stock II

bravobravo

As I wait semi patiently wait for a shipment of coated bullets to come in, I am down to a few thousand 9mm 125gr .356 dia uncoated hard cast bullets.

I have only ever put coated or factory ammo thru any of my guns. Could anyone advise if it would be unwise to use them or if there is anything to watch out 

for while loading them or firing them?

17 hours ago, gnappi said:

A few bullets are not worth the risk. 

A risk of what?

While I don't shoot uncoated lead bullets because they are overall dirtier, people have shot them successfully and in great numbers long before the miracle coatings we have arrived on scene.

The only down side I see is:

Smoke, dirty barrels, more leading, and air pollution.

super fast super hot powders like tightgroup will be dirtier than some slower cleaner powders. Dont get insane about some lead streaks in the barrel You will do more harm to your barrel super scrubbing it than just leaving some lead in there. Save a few FMJ rounds and shoot them at the end of your session 

5 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

super fast super hot powders like tightgroup will be dirtier than some slower cleaner powders. Dont get insane about some lead streaks in the barrel You will do more harm to your barrel super scrubbing it than just leaving some lead in there. Save a few FMJ rounds and shoot them at the end of your session 

Agree, I loaded 500 rounds of the uncoated bullets with N320 and shot them other day. They ran fine then I put 10 rounds of FMJ thru to finish up.

Aside from the gun being considerably dirtier and maybe a little more smoke in the air (but it was a windy day so i really didn't notice it much), everything else i.e., accuracy and recoil were the same as coated bullets. At home the gun and barrel cleaned up fine. I plan to load up the other 1500 rounds and use them in practice.

Thanks to all for the help!

even 320 is a bit fast for ideal.. The smoke and dirt is from the lube burning off.

I used to read all the smoke comments and not really get it. Till I shot a match using bullets like yours over tightgroup on a super hot humid morning,, and stage had movers.. Looked like I was shooting black powder loads. 

Far as cast seemed like that is all anyone ever shot, powders a bit slower than today were pretty popular. 231, unique.. that area

I and Zombiewolff and I'm lots of other guys have shot 10's of 100's of blue lube bullets. Both indoors and outdoors.

Got used to the haze from the lube burning/melting and I kinda like that smell but so much for reminiscing!

Shoot them and when your coated bullets arrive store them up until the next shortage. FWIW

4 hours ago, Joe4d said:

This right here ^

2 hours ago, orangeman711 said:

You don't say wether your shooting open or limited. If your shooting open spray your comp before each practice session and match with Weld-All , no lead buildup.

Shooting 9mm minor in carry optics so no comp to worry about.

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

I and Zombiewolff and I'm lots of other guys have shot 10's of 100's of blue lube bullets. Both indoors and outdoors.

Got used to the haze from the lube burning/melting and I kinda like that smell but so much for reminiscing!

Shoot them and when your coated bullets arrive store them up until the next shortage. FWIW

I'll wait for a calm day with no wind to fire off a bunch more so i can enjoy the haze a smell!!!!

On 10/12/2020 at 2:20 PM, HesedTech said:

A risk of what?

While I don't shoot uncoated lead bullets because they are overall dirtier, people have shot them successfully and in great numbers long before the miracle coatings we have arrived on scene.

Conventional wisdom says polygonal rifling and lead bullets are a no-no... K'boom. The debate goes on about it's validity but no stinking petty bullet is worth the risk when I can (and do) powder coat them. YMMV 🙂

2 hours ago, gnappi said:

Conventional wisdom says polygonal rifling and lead bullets are a no-no... K'boom. The debate goes on about it's validity but no stinking petty bullet is worth the risk when I can (and do) powder coat them. YMMV 🙂

That’s an old discussion which for the most part has been found to be not really true.  No I don’t run uncoated Bullets. Why? Because they are dirtier, smoky and why bother when there are so many coated ones on the market.  

Here’s a link to the debate:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?33855-The-Truth-about-Glocks-and-Cast

Also in these days of “fact checking” could you provide a case or two of a “kaboom” and cite the “conventional wisdom” to help the forum readers understand the validity of this claim?

In front of my eyes in the early 90's a fellow shooter's Glock blew with sedate loads. He used every precaution possible while loading even a powder checker. I'd have used his loads any day in my Colts. Whether you believe it or not is your choice, I read the discussions, I don't care... I use powdered, TMJ or FMJ.

On 10/12/2020 at 2:20 PM, HesedTech said:

A risk of what?

Edited by gnappi

8 hours ago, gnappi said:

In front of my eyes in the early 90's a fellow shooter's Glock blew with sedate loads. He used every precaution possible while loading even a powder checker. I'd have used his loads any day in my Colts. Whether you believe it or not is your choice, I read the discussions, I don't care... I use powdered, TMJ or FMJ.

My friends G34 had leading from coated bullets.

The Tanfos must be a little different. In my six Tanfo barrels, there is no leading after Tens of thousands of coated both minor and major.

10 hours ago, gnappi said:

Again, just another internet opinion without information to back it up.

Yes Glock says no to all lead bullets, coated or not and most if not all manufacturers say no to any non-factory reloads. Why? Liability, because people do dumb things and sue when they go wrong. 

Tanfoglio manual on ammo,

”It is suggested that high quality commercially manufactured ammunition be used in this firearm. Avoid military surplus or old ammunition as it may not fire with sufficient force to expel the projectile from the barrel. The use of reloaded, high pressure or hand- loaded ammunition can be dangerous and will void the warranty.”

Glock Manual

”Do not use reloaded, remanufactured, or handloaded ammunition because it may not meet applicable SAAMI, CIP or NATO standards and could cause death, serious personal injury, and/or property damage. Only use high quality commercially manufactured ammunition in the same caliber as your GLOCK pistol. (Note: Use of reloaded, remanufactured, or handloaded ammunition will void the warranty).”

Be smart and safe.

If he had leading, I can only assume his bullets were either not baked long enough, had poor powder coverage, or sizing removed some PC. Powder is really hard and stands up to velocity far better than lead.

My Tanfos are one of the main reasons I went to powder coating. Aside from the fact that wax smokes up the range, leads the barrel and is a mess to handle, PC got me shooting again when waiting tor the bullet supply to free up was not an option.

5 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Again, just another internet opinion without information to back it up.

>>SNIP<<

Again, yet ANOTHER reader who did not read or fails to acknowledge what I SAID:

"In front of my eyes in the early 90's a fellow shooter's Glock blew with sedate loads. He used every precaution possible while loading even a powder checker. I'd have used his loads any day in my Colts. Whether you believe it or not is your choice, I read the discussions, I don't care... I use powdered, TMJ or FMJ. "

Not "OPINION"... fact, your choice to believe it or not.

When I started shooting,I shot reloaded ammo From the local,store in revolver and colt 1911. Didn’t know it was bad or good it was what I could afford.Still have the revolver.