Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

uncoated hard cast bullets in a Stock II

bravobravo

1 hour ago, gnappi said:

Again, yet ANOTHER reader who did not read or fails to acknowledge what I SAID:

No I read it and your comment is typical of the “experts” out in internet land.

Without a teardown and the facts of the “kabooms” it’s all just speculation. Almost all failures I’ve personally seen at the range are operator induced from a multitude of reasons. 

The quote from the most recent Glock manual I posted had noticeably removed the “coated” bullet reference and replaced it with all reloaded bullets.

And let’s be completely clear, you posted your opinion essentially as a fact and warning to others. Such is the internet.

Be safe, be wise and accidents do happen. 

3 hours ago, gnappi said:

Again, yet ANOTHER reader who did not read or fails to acknowledge what I SAID:

"In front of my eyes in the early 90's a fellow shooter's Glock blew with sedate loads. He used every precaution possible while loading even a powder checker. I'd have used his loads any day in my Colts. Whether you believe it or not is your choice, I read the discussions, I don't care... I use powdered, TMJ or FMJ. "

Not "OPINION"... fact, your choice to believe it or not.

How do you know that lead buildup in his bore lead to the overpressure excursion?

When I bought a Glock 17 I decided to find out for myself.  I loaded 100 124 grain Missouri Bullet hard casts (BHN 12 or so which is the appropriate hardness for mild velocities) and shot them all, checking the barrel for leading every 10 rounds.  Within the first 20 rounds I saw some very mild lead streaks about an inch back from the muzzle.  Kept going and found that the leading near the muzzle did not get worse and that the barrel leaded nowhere else.

Verdict: in that Glock barrrel, bare cast lead bullets with hardness/MV combination that obturated the bullet did not create anything more than very mild leading and were 100% safe to shoot.

A. I never called myself an expert

B. this guy was nutso fastidious / anal about his load practices

What caused it? If a dog craps in the yard, and you find poo under your shoe can you take a SWAG? That's what all of us at the range did... just draw two lines between known data points. YMMV.

And I answered "Again, just another internet opinion without information to back it up"

So when someone says something you refute it no matter what? Go forward and prosper. Shoot lead, or bubble gum, or tar balls. 

3 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

How do you know that lead buildup in his bore lead to the overpressure excursion?

When I bought a Glock 17 I decided to find out for myself.  I loaded 100 124 grain Missouri Bullet hard casts (BHN 12 or so which is the appropriate hardness for mild velocities) and shot them all, checking the barrel for leading every 10 rounds.  Within the first 20 rounds I saw some very mild lead streaks about an inch back from the muzzle.  Kept going and found that the leading near the muzzle did not get worse and that the barrel leaded nowhere else.

Verdict: in that Glock barrrel, bare cast lead bullets with hardness/MV combination that obturated the bullet did not create anything more than very mild leading and were 100% safe to shoot.

Well, first off I wonder what kind of religious zeal it takes to take on experimenting with unknowns to prove or disprove a notion where danger is not known.

Secondly, in the past it was often stated that high pressure /  velocity loads contributed to the "suspicion" that lead was at fault. So in that sense your experiments were flawed from the get go using "mild" velocities, so it proves zilch.

Also from previous readings, since K'booms were always suspected to be caused by over pressure ammo which can and do blow out the web in guns other than Glock.

Lastly, I mentioned my Tanfo as my reason for not using lead, and there's never been a report of a Tanfo blowing using lead to make me cautious. I just am. The old, believe 10% of what you hear applies to me, my mama's boy's face and not too cheap firearms make me err on the side of FMJ, TMJ, and PC'd bullets. 

Edited by gnappi

On 10/7/2020 at 12:38 PM, bravobravo said:

As I wait semi patiently wait for a shipment of coated bullets to come in, I am down to a few thousand 9mm 125gr .356 dia uncoated hard cast bullets.

I have only ever put coated or factory ammo thru any of my guns. Could anyone advise if it would be unwise to use them or if there is anything to watch out 

for while loading them or firing them?

You should just wait for those coated bullets to arrive. Scraping out encrusted lead deposits is a real chore.......

16 hours ago, gnappi said:

Well, first off I wonder what kind of religious zeal it takes to take on experimenting with unknowns to prove or disprove a notion where danger is not known.

Secondly, in the past it was often stated that high pressure /  velocity loads contributed to the "suspicion" that lead was at fault. So in that sense your experiments were flawed from the get go using "mild" velocities, so it proves zilch.

Also from previous readings, since K'booms were always suspected to be caused by over pressure ammo which can and do blow out the web in guns other than Glock.

Lastly, I mentioned my Tanfo as my reason for not using lead, and there's never been a report of a Tanfo blowing using lead to make me cautious. I just am. The old, believe 10% of what you hear applies to me, my mama's boy's face and not too cheap firearms make me err on the side of FMJ, TMJ, and PC'd bullets. 

You didn't answer my question at all.  So basically you were guessing and drew up a bunch of strawman arguments to hide the fact.

I'm an engineer.  I saw a hypothesis.  I tested it.  I found the hypothesis to be false.  End of story as far as I'm concerned.

Unknown dangers?  LOL....

Edited by SGT_Schultz