Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help diagnose this malfunction

Bravo_Victor

This is a recent issue im having. As seen in the pics below, my gun is failing to go into battery. Sometimes 3-4 times at a match, sometimes not at all, sometimes twice within 50 rounds. Happens with different mags new or old, different bullets (RMR and Everglades), perfectly clean gun or dirty. Recoil spring is barely 2 months old, theres no buffs inside either. 

When the gun malfunctions, i pull the mag out and inspect. I push on the slide and it goes into battery. I eject it no problem, and nothing looks out of ordinary with the round. I even plunk test it and it fits freely. Reinsert the round into the mag and it functions fine. 

Am i correct to guess theres an issue with the locking lugs or barrel link? If so how do i remedy this? If not, has anyone experienced this before?

D7ZnsoG.jpg

RPxtdPD.jpg

0urgBeG.jpg

lS3YIye.jpg

D7ZnsoG.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: In the one pic it looks like the upper right barrel lug is hitting the slide. Check the barrel and slide to see if either has peen marks on them. Check your slide stop as well to see if it is worn. I would also check the barrel link to see if it moves freely or is cracked. Thanks, Eric

I'm assuming this is a new issue after thousands of rounds through it with no issues?

Generally speaking if the above statement was true, the first thing I'd look at is what has changed if anything. This can be anything; mags, mag components, new safety etc. If nothing has changed and this is out of the blue then I'd start looking at parts that can wear. Number one that I think of is possibly the barrel link pin is worn?

Just my 2¢

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, schaet said:

I'm assuming this is a new issue after thousands of rounds through it with no issues?

Generally speaking if the above statement was true, the first thing I'd look at is what has changed if anything. This can be anything; mags, mag components, new safety etc. If nothing has changed and this is out of the blue then I'd start looking at parts that can wear. Number one that I think of is possibly the barrel link pin is worn?

Just my 2¢

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So this gun prob has roughly 25k give or take. The barrel has about 10-12 bc it was replaced by the same builder. The only thing that has changed was the safety, that broke off on the left side where it goes into the grip. I replaced it with a Double Tap. Now, coincidentally i didnt have this issue until after the safety was fitted (by me, a non gunsmith). Safety appears to work just fine and there doesnt seem to be any slide/safety contact or friction. 

1 hour ago, texasdawg said:

Are you case gauging and plunk testing or just plunk testing? Two different things. If not case gauging, your reloads are off due to your reloader may need adjusting.

I do both. Anything remotely questionable after case gauging i will plunk test. 

Hello: In the pic you have a Pheonix Trinity safety but you say you have a double tap safety? Did it do the same thing with both safeties? One thing to check is if the safety is rubbing on the bottom of the slide if it moves up just a little bit. Also if the detent does not hold the safety down very well you will have to adjust the detent pocket. Also check to see if the safety is hitting the top of the grip. Thanks, Eric

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: In the pic you have a Pheonix Trinity safety but you say you have a double tap safety? Did it do the same thing with both safeties? One thing to check is if the safety is rubbing on the bottom of the slide if it moves up just a little bit. Also if the detent does not hold the safety down very well you will have to adjust the detent pocket. Also check to see if the safety is hitting the top of the grip. Thanks, Eric

The left safety is DT and the right is a PT. I was playing around with different safeties at one point and decided i like that combo. I made it a point to take down the safety where it would possibly contact the bottom of the slide.

46 minutes ago, TRPOperator said:

I agree with GrumpyOne on this, the first thing I would check is the extractor and make sure it is good. My gun did something very close to this and was very random and it was the extractor causing the issue. 

What was the issue? Tension? Was it moving around? 

8 hours ago, Bravo_Victor said:

What was the issue? Tension? Was it moving around? 

Yes it was a tension issue. It was actually just a little to tight which was causing the tooth to drag on the new round, it was just enough to slow diwn the slide, which caused the pictured issue.  Or a failure to go into battery. Returned the extractor, and haven't had that issue again. 

Extractors cause many issues you wouldn’t think was an extractor problem, but when it happens with different mags and different loads AND when it’s intermittent, always check the tension and measurements between the hook and breech face. I prefer to set my tension looser than recommend, but each gun, ammo, mags are different. Always test with a clean gun, including extractor tunnel, and good/ new springs.

You might want to check the locking lugs on your barrel and slide. If either has peened it may be preventing the barrel from rising up and locking in and there-by stoopping the slide from going into battery. 

Can you push the slide the rest of the way or does it stop dead there?

If the extractor was the problem it should close fine on an empty chamber.

18 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

You might want to check the locking lugs on your barrel and slide. If either has peened it may be preventing the barrel from rising up and locking in and there-by stoopping the slide from going into battery. 

Can you push the slide the rest of the way or does it stop dead there?

If the extractor was the problem it should close fine on an empty chamber.

Theres no peening and i can push the slide closed once its malfunctioned. It closes just fine when its empty

29 minutes ago, nbdyspl said:

Did you try going up one pound in recoil spring? What is the pound recoil

spring your running right now? 

Im actually trying that now. My gun is stroked to its a 7lb with some coils clipped. I threw an 8 in there and fired 50 rounds last night and it was fine but im trying it at a match today to see how that is. 

10 hours ago, Bravo_Victor said:

Im actually trying that now. My gun is stroked to its a 7lb with some coils clipped. I threw an 8 in there and fired 50 rounds last night and it was fine but im trying it at a match today to see how that is. 

I actually have exact same gun. 6 and 7lb would do the exact same thing. I changed to 8lb variable Wolff spring with coils cut and that fixed it. I know some that have had to use a 9lb spring as well. Hope that is what it is for you. 

59 minutes ago, nbdyspl said:

I actually have exact same gun. 6 and 7lb would do the exact same thing. I changed to 8lb variable Wolff spring with coils cut and that fixed it. I know some that have had to use a 9lb spring as well. Hope that is what it is for you. 

The gun ran just fine for a year and half with the 7 but with the amount of rounds into the gun, maybe it just needs a small adjustment. 

Just now, Bravo_Victor said:

The gun ran just fine for a year and half with the 7 but with the amount of rounds into the gun, maybe it just needs a small adjustment. 

Oh I thought you said you had new barrel or slide or something just recently.