Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SRP question

1 minute ago, Texaspaul said:

Percussion Bullets suggest using small rifle primers in PCC, anyone see a problem in this?  I know there are many schools of thought on this.  I am running below the minimum load trying for low power factor.

I would not chance SRP in a PCC that has light springs or an after market light trigger setup.

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I would not chance SRP in a PCC that has light springs or an after market light trigger setup.

I agree with Sarge.  I wouldn't use SRP's in a blowback system with lightened springs or triggers.

2 hours ago, Texaspaul said:

So your comment comes from possible light primer strikes?

Yes.  If you have light springs and the firing pin doesn't hit the primer hard enough to ignite the primer...The gun no go bang.

oops - Precision Bullets - dang spell check! 

I am more worried about pressure - though I am loading below minimum on load data for steel challenge. Is there a pressure difference to worry about. Is there a difference in the heat/power on SRP and SPP primers.  I have some SRP but little SPP and it looks like SRP are easer to come by!

45 minutes ago, Texaspaul said:

oops - Precision Bullets - dang spell check! 

I am more worried about pressure - though I am loading below minimum on load data for steel challenge. Is there a pressure difference to worry about. Is there a difference in the heat/power on SRP and SPP primers.  I have some SRP but little SPP and it looks like SRP are easer to come by!

Ahh! Thanks! I thing your big fear should be zero pressure.

ETA: Oh yeah, the thread: During the last 3.5 years, I have heard exactly nobody suggest SRP for PCC. Now if that is all you can get, give it a try but you may have light strikes.

Edited by ChuckS

If most of you are running AR15 triggers, you know that fire 223 with SRP's why would it be any different loading 9mm with SRPs? In the case of JP or hyperfire.....would it be a mute point? I know there are triggers made specifically for PCC, but the way I understand it....that is a geometry thing, not a hammer spring or hammer weight thing. Asking for a friend?

7 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

If most of you are running AR15 triggers, you know that fire 223 with SRP's why would it be any different loading 9mm with SRPs? In the case of JP or hyperfire.....would it be a mute point? I know there are triggers made specifically for PCC, but the way I understand it....that is a geometry thing, not a hammer spring or hammer weight thing. Asking for a friend?

Spot on. Lots of folks worrying about something that isn't an issue. 

If it were a DA/SA pistol with a lightened spring set and I had magnum SRP's I might venture to say that would require some testing and seating depth checks. But it's not. We are talking about AR triggers in many cases designed to ignite NATO spec primers. 

I just loaded some CCI small magnum primers in case I had to use them and fortunately I ran into 5 bricks of small rifle primers (CCI) that will go along with all the other primers I have to use on a regular basis.

Good thing is they worked without issue in my  PCC but did NOT work in my Canik SFX. it has a Ghost 6.5 striker spring and it didn't light them off. My friend was there with his stock SFX with a striker spring that would launch a bolt into the stratosphere and his didn't light off the mag primers either.....

t