Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 got really hot at the range today!

Stafford

I’ve shot outside before in the hot sun before, but not for a sustained period. Usually, it’s been an outdoor match where you shoot 18-20 rounds and then stop until your time to shoot again. Other times have been during cool temperatures.

Today, I shot steel at my local outdoor range. Temps were in the high 80’s and there is no shade and there was no cloud cover today. 

As I was the only person on the range, I was free to move around and shoot without waiting. I brought 200 rounds and went through it fairly quickly. By the last 50 rounds, I was attempting to shoot fast as I have a USPSA match tomorrow night. 

I rest my thumb on the slide stop and by the last 50 rounds, the slide stop grew uncomfortably hot. By the last 10 rounds, the gun was so hot that I had to adjust my grip and move my thumb off of the slide stop. Once I quit shooting, I realized I had a small blister on my thumb. 

My back-up competition gun is an SP-01. But, I shot it at the indoor range this weekend. And since I’m using the Shadow 2 tomorrow night, I dry fired with the Shadow 2 last night. And only shot it today. I had the SP-01 in my range bag and should have alternated with it. Lesson learned.

I will be shooting tomorrow in 108 degrees here. A few weeks from now it will be hotter. We kind of just get used to it in AZ. It's not like we are going to not shoot!

Ran it last night at my indoor USPSA match. Kind of noticed the spot on my thumb after the first stage, but forgot about it after that. Then, pinched my palm on a mag reload that drew blood. No big deal until I squirted some hand sanitizer on it - now that burned!

This is where your twin will come in. A match gun and a practice gun.

Shooters still shoots in the middle of the summer when temperature is above +110..

But as we say... it's dry heat 😅

21 hours ago, Yagi said:

This is where your twin will come in. A match gun and a practice gun.

Shooters still shoots in the middle of the summer when temperature is above +110..

But as we say... it's dry heat 😅

Well, I had my SP--01 in the bag, but wasn't planning to shoot it that day. I should have given it a few mags and let the S2 cool down. From now on, I'll plan on shooting two guns on very hot days.

Today, if it doesn't rain, I'll take my S2 and my new C-100 out to shoot some steel. The C-100 just arrived yesterday. 

Ran it today outdoors. It was a few degrees cooler and not as sunny. But I ran the Shadow 2 along with a new C-100 and alternated every three mags. Guns were warm but never too hot. Since the C-100 was new, I ran some JHP’s to test it out. One of the jackets separated, flew off the steel and came back and lodged on my t-shirt. When I tried to remove it, it was very hot. Had to use the shirt material and basically push it off the shirt.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:36 PM, kalaikanui said:

Situation normal in Vegas area🔥🌡️💯++ here. Multigun matches require gloves:cheers:

I read this thinking 80 lol come on. This is commonplace in areas like Vegas. And yes, gloves are needed even with not competing if you’re in the sun for prolonged periods of time. 

Haha, this is a normal day for those of us in Texas. I used to bring a cooler with ice packs before I got a 2nd pistol for practice. Black guns don't cool off for us unless they are in the shade. 

It's super common for the rifle guys. I put Thermal Dissipators on my PCC's just to help cool the barrels this year. I remember Teemu even put up a video using a water mister to cool off his barrels faster 😅😅