Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using my timer in a match?

Be yet to shoot my first club match hopefully it will not be before to long!

my question is, should I take my own timer for a match. I assume the RO will use his, so at the moment I see the only use for my own timer is for practice, am I correct?

Barry

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Take it anyway.  I've offered mine up to the RO when the stage timer goes TU and it's faster to whip mine out of the bag than to wait for someone to find another one of the club's timers.

Plus one! I always have a timer in my bag. I RO often and don’t always like the timers available.

Just make sure to mark it for identification. They tend to get handed around a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Plus one! I always have a timer in my bag. I RO often and don’t always like the timers available.
  Just make sure to mark it for identification. They tend to get handed around a lot.

Agreed...also, if you do offer up your timer, be ready to clear par times and adjust sensitivity if needed...don’t want a par time beep going off while shooting a stage or picking up shots from another bay.

• 2 months later...

+1

If you have room in your bag it's nice to have a backup.  I keep mine in the range bag along with a staple gun, pliers, and a few other essentials that come in hand from time to time and keep the match moving.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used mine a few times while I was RO.. Problem is with mine , it seems to work backwards of every other timer in the world. You press the go button and hold it,,, it beeps on the release. Seems all the others beep when you press it... Screws me up on occassion

I always have my timer with me, and I have used it more that once at a match.  It's just your average pocket pro 2, so most shooters are familiar with it, and if not it's easy to use.  Really I just leave it in my range bag so I don't forget to put it back in when I go out to practice!  

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I have used mine a few times while I was RO.. Problem is with mine , it seems to work backwards of every other timer in the world. You press the go button and hold it,,, it beeps on the release. Seems all the others beep when you press it... Screws me up on occassion

If its the R U READY timer, it counts the time AFTER the buzzer so it gives shorter/faster times by about .4-.5sec vs conventional timers w/c counts at start of buzzer. If its to be used in a match, its should be used through out the match duration w/o substitute w/ other timers to be consistent and fair to all shooters. 

You can never go wrong having a timer with you at the match. It is way easier to have one with you than pray every timer is working on every stage. I always seem to hit one stage a month that the timer beep sounded like a goat with a sucking chest wound bleating for his last breath.

• 2 weeks later...