Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Relaxed face

Videoed myself previous week shooting simple drills and found tension crippling into face - crippling into mind. Usually I'm not into making funny faces yet it was beyond I'd like to see.

Spent last training session just on making face relaxed during all shooting. Easier hits, slightly better time, more observations.

Bonus, I'll look even prettier on match photos!

So when I used to be really into golf, the same thing would happen to me. I would tense up my jaw, which would tense up my neck and shoulders and cause my shots to be inconsistent.

Someone told me to put a potato chip in my mouth between my teeth and hit w few shots at the range, focusing on not biting the chip. It helped and shifted my focus to relax my face. I changed my preshot routine to relax my entire body staying from my head down to my toes before each shot.

I tool this same feeling to my shooting and relax everything prior to the buzzer. When I get rushed to the line and don't relax it definitely shows up in my scores.

2 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

So when I used to be really into golf, the same thing would happen to me. I would tense up my jaw, which would tense up my neck and shoulders and cause my shots to be inconsistent.

Someone told me to put a potato chip in my mouth between my teeth and hit w few shots at the range, focusing on not biting the chip. It helped and shifted my focus to relax my face. I changed my preshot routine to relax my entire body staying from my head down to my toes before each shotI

I was a decent golfer at one time. One of the best rounds I ever shot was when I was just starting to get, as I later found out, a case of the flu. I was lethargic and felt weak. I learned from that and relaxed much more while playing. I guess that’s why the beta blocker scandal was a big deal.

14 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

So, are you saying that putting on my war face for match day is bad?

Especially if you're using L'Oreal instead of Max Factor!

Nolan

• 9 months later...
2 minutes ago, RH39 said:

Seems like I need to work on something else...

Let's argue about something pointless so all these post will be on one thread instead of clogging up the new post feed with a crap ton of old threads.  You can pick the topic LOL

PS, what you trying to sell?

8 minutes ago, RJH said:

Let's argue about something pointless so all these post will be on one thread instead of clogging up the new post feed with a crap ton of old threads.  You can pick the topic LOL

PS, what you trying to sell?

You caught me 😂

13 minutes ago, RH39 said:

You caught me 😂

Me and probably 45 other people.  A bunch of us use the "new post"  button and it is pretty easy to figure out.  Sherlock Holms I am not LOL.  But I do see you have been a member here for a long time, are you getting out of USPSA, or just did a shiny new blaster catch your eye?

28 minutes ago, RJH said:

Me and probably 45 other people.  A bunch of us use the "new post"  button and it is pretty easy to figure out.  Sherlock Holms I am not LOL.  But I do see you have been a member here for a long time, are you getting out of USPSA, or just did a shiny new blaster catch your eye?

That new blaster is calling my name😉!  I do need to move another one first though.  I appreciate the info on the new post button, I’ll give her a try!  Thank you👊🏻

16 minutes ago, RH39 said:

That new blaster is calling my name😉!  I do need to move another one first though.  I appreciate the info on the new post button, I’ll give her a try!  Thank you👊🏻

Only 3 more posts, and you'll be classified.  I know you can do it, you've already posted in 47 threads dating all the way back to 2015.

3 minutes ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Only 3 more posts, and you'll be classified.  I know you can do it, you've already posted in 47 threads dating all the way back to 2015.

It’s been quite the journey!  Thanks for the encouragement 😂

• 2 years later...

I’m pretty sure it’s the facial expression that makes the bullets go where you want.

Seriously, I’ve been reminding myself not to hunch, apply proper support hand pressure, and keep the trigger finger relaxed.

My face does whatever it does - grimace, smile, not even sure.

haha, i tend to have a tongue hanging out when i shoot, or come into an aggressive position. no idea why, never knew i did it, until someone started showing me pictures. pretty funny for sure

• 5 months later...

Well, having been a professional mechanic at one point in my life, I know for a fact that it's almost impossible to get some bolts started straight if you don't hold your tongue just right so I can certainly see the feasibility of this!😁

Head straight up, don’t hunch, both eyes open, shoulders relaxed, don’t squint, BLAM hey it hit where I was aiming!! Lots of old bad habits to break. 😅

@392heminut I can relate to the two fingered upside down wrist elbow standing on your head tongue sticking out blind bolt starting technique. 🤣

On 7/18/2023 at 6:19 PM, 99mpower said:

haha, i tend to have a tongue hanging out when i shoot, or come into an aggressive position. no idea why, never knew i did it, until someone started showing me pictures. pretty funny for sure

I have seen pictures of myself.  I bite my lower lip when concentrating on fast shooting.