Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion Recoil Spring Tuning?

NCJammer

So I had a chance to play with my new X5 Legion and it feels really good so far. I ran some Bill Drills at 11 yds (yes 11, not 10) at my indoor range to see how the gun returns. Has anyone played with lighter springs than the 12lb? I was running an 11lb in my Glock 34 with the same 130pf ammo. First impression is that it’s way better right out of the box than my Glock after lots of tweaking.

Sig says it is a 1911 spring but when I took it out it looks crazy long. Anyone running flat wire or softer regular coil springs with good results? 

Edited by NCJammer

I was running a 12lb 1911 spring on my non-legion x-five with a romeo 1 on it and a tungsten guide rod, but when I got my Legion I tried various spring combos and ended up back at the 14lb Sig spring and stock guide rod.  Surprised me since I usually like really light recoil springs in most guns I shoot, but with the Legion, the 14lb just shot best.  This is with iron sights and a 125gr load.

You know that your spring is too long when you have to really push and hunt to get your slide locked back.

For me, that is the driver on what is "too long".

I got into a batch of springs that were made with too much wire (too long).

The springs would "coil stack" right where you want to get the slide locked back.

Standard 1911 Government springs from Taylor Tactical are my favorite.

Nicely color-coded at the closed end and $5 a piece when you buy the 5 pack.

And free shipping when using his Ebay storefront.

On 4/30/2020 at 3:03 PM, alien_pickles said:

Most people seem to say a standard length 1911 spring works perfectly well and not to worry about the extra length.

I'm curious as well if anyone is running anything lighter than 12 with an otherwise factory set-up...

I am currently running a Tungsten Guide rod with the Wolff 11# 1911 style sping. Full size spring not modified in any way. Running 147 gr coated bullets at a 131 PF. Gun runs pretty flat. I did some testing with a 10# Wolff spring and did not see much difference in muzzle flip or felt recoil. I did however have a little bit tighter group with the 11# Spring. I do intend to mess around with the 10-11# springs a little more but I am fairly certain I will stay on the 11# spring. 

I’m running stock 14 lb with Syntech 150gr in my Legion and 14lb Wolf with GG Fat GR in my base X5, same ammo. But I have also recently run some 147g/128pf loads a friend gave me as a recipe to copy because the Syntech has gotten WAY too expensive even if you can find it. I’m using this COVID-19 downtime from matches to get set up for reloading and have run several of my local shooters’ bunny farts (but still making power factor) and both of my pistols run and shoot that stuff flawlessly. Very flat shooting even with the 14lb springs. Forgot mention... my base X5 has the TXG grip module so for all intents it’s a Legion also.

12 hours ago, Solsand said:

I’m running stock 14 lb with Syntech 150gr in my Legion and 14lb Wolf with GG Fat GR in my base X5, same ammo. But I have also recently run some 147g/128pf loads a friend gave me as a recipe to copy because the Syntech has gotten WAY too expensive even if you can find it. I’m using this COVID-19 downtime from matches to get set up for reloading and have run several of my local shooters’ bunny farts (but still making power factor) and both of my pistols run and shoot that stuff flawlessly. Very flat shooting even with the 14lb springs. Forgot mention... my base X5 has the TXG grip module so for all intents it’s a Legion also.

I have a ton of 150gr synthech since I use it in my CZs, but the groups are incredibly bad out of my legion.   Are you getting good groups?  Common opinion here is that the legions like ~125 gr ammo, and I am seeing that.   Although the 125 gr syntech groups worst of all the 125s I've tried.

1 hour ago, LMS said:

I have a ton of 150gr synthech since I use it in my CZs, but the groups are incredibly bad out of my legion.   Are you getting good groups?  Common opinion here is that the legions like ~125 gr ammo, and I am seeing that.   Although the 125 gr syntech groups worst of all the 125s I've tried.

To be honest, for me the 150gr Syntech is plenty good enough. From a bench rest @25yds I'm about 1.5" and both pistols are already better than I am. What I like most is how soft shooting the 150gr is as opposed to the 130gr Syntech (marketed as "for PCC"), 147gr Freedom w/Extreme bullets and 124gr Atlanta. But the loads a friend of mine makes and shoots out of his two Legions are outstanding, both in felt recoil and accuracy. He is using 147gr coated Bayou Bullets and one of the Winchester powders but I don't know the recipe off the top of my head. I'm planning on copying his specs to the T because both my pistols shoot this particular load great. Of course, when al is said and done, as my dad always says "it's typically the Indian and not the arrow..." Words to live by.

FWIW, he is using the 12# springs in both his pistols with this load with zero issues, and no discernable difference regarding muzzle rise or dip issues. Go figure.

Edited by Solsand

• 2 months later...

With 147’s I’m torn between the 12 and 14 stock springs with tungsten guide rod. Had originally tried out DPM progressive recoil setup but after it broke my takedown lever from battering, I moved to the tungsten guide rod and am playing with the spring weights

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, DirectDrive said:

You know that your spring is too long when you have to really push and hunt to get your slide locked back.

For me, that is the driver on what is "too long".

I got into a batch of springs that were made with too much wire (too long).

The springs would "coil stack" right where you want to get the slide locked back.

Standard 1911 Government springs from Taylor Tactical are my favorite.

Nicely color-coded at the closed end and $5 a piece when you buy the 5 pack.

And free shipping when using his Ebay storefront.

I loved that guys youtube content; but he hasn’t done anything in a while.  

I don’t suppose you know who makes the springs he sells?  Does that even matter nowadays? I know that people love Wolf and Wilson Combat.  There’s another manufacturer that’s popular of which the name escapes me.  

Thanks,

kg

6 hours ago, KindredGhost said:

I loved that guys youtube content; but he hasn’t done anything in a while.  

I don’t suppose you know who makes the springs he sells?  Does that even matter nowadays? I know that people love Wolf and Wilson Combat.  There’s another manufacturer that’s popular of which the name escapes me.  

Thanks,

kg

Maybe they are re-branded Wolff ?

I do know that they are uniform and the color-coding is very sanitary.

There's Sprinco and ISMI

ISMI does (maybe not all) flat wire springs which require a smaller guide rod O.D. (not a fan)

On 7/16/2020 at 5:37 AM, DirectDrive said:

Maybe they are re-branded Wolff ?

I do know that they are uniform and the color-coding is very sanitary.

There's Sprinco and ISMI

ISMI does (maybe not all) flat wire springs which require a smaller guide rod O.D. (not a fan)

Thanks my dude!!!

kg

On 7/16/2020 at 8:23 PM, jaep1911 said:

Anyone has tested variable springs from Wolff?

I run 12lbs variable in my 3

They in theory, open softer and lock up softer so supposed to stop or ease front sight/dot dip.

I run variables on all my 1911/2011 so that's what I had when I was testing springs for shot to shot recovery FWIW! 

21 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

I run 12lbs variable in my 3

They in theory, open softer and lock up softer so supposed to stop or ease front sight/dot dip.

I run variables on all my 1911/2011 so that's what I had when I was testing springs for shot to shot recovery FWIW! 

Nice! Thanks! I also use a variable in my 1911, which I rarely fire these days, and wanted to try one in my X5 one day.

With a 12lb Variable spring, how is the lock up at the battery? Sloppy? When I used a light recoil spring in my Walter PPQ, the slide got really sloppy and I had to lighten the striker spring as well.

I put springs of different wgts in until the dot was returning the best.

12 or 13 variables were the best for me and my grip etc.

Gun has never failed to run, When I holster it I have my thumb behind the slide to hold it in battery.

BUT

I do that with everything but 1911/2011's

6 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I put springs of different wgts in until the dot was returning the best.

12 or 13 variables were the best for me and my grip etc.

Gun has never failed to run, When I holster it I have my thumb behind the slide to hold it in battery.

BUT

I do that with everything but 1911/2011's

Thanks a lot! I shall try one or two

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Vinnyp said:

I tried some 1911 springs in mine but they were way too short and the slide jiggled in and out of battery.. anyone else have this problem?

Not all 1911 Government springs are created equal.

I've even had some that are too long and wouldn't let me lock the slide back.

These have been consistent for me.

Nic Taylor's Ebay storefront :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colt-Government-1911-Recoil-Calibration-Spring-Pack-11-12-13-14-15-set-of-5/301275600553?hash=item46256cd6a9:g:4oAAAOSwGvhT6X9-

Edited by DirectDrive