Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Bullets for 9mm Major PF

gerritm

Starting to run out of my normal 9mm 124gr JHP bullets. I have used coated before for minor PF. Can't seem to find info on how they work for open major.Several of the coated bullet manufacturers give their specs at 2400fps max. I would be around 1400fps for a 124/125gr.

I know leading in the comp may be an issue. 

Just curious as a backup.

gerritm

I have used Blue bullets, SNS, & Eggleston in the past for PCC minor and had some lead issues in my comp. Probably due to the powder (Titegroup) and running right at minor PF. But what about HS6 and 1400 fps. I know just a light crimp to hold bullet. The lead problem was manageable. Used a pick & dremel.

gerritm

Been there; tried that.  Never again.  Heavy plate or JHPs are all I feed my Open guns now.  I have 8,000 rounds down the pipe of one and I can still see the machining marks in the bottom of my comp ports.  I have 2000 poly coated 9mm on hand for the one club that does not allow plated or jacketed on steel.  I do use my Open gun, but I switch to an uncompensated barrel when shooting poly.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

Been there; tried that.  Never again.  Heavy plate or JHPs are all I feed my Open guns now.  I have 8,000 rounds down the pipe of one and I can still see the machining marks in the bottom of my comp ports.  I have 2000 poly coated 9mm on hand for the one club that does not allow plated or jacketed on steel.  I do use my Open gun, but I switch to an uncompensated barrel when shooting poly.

Understand, that is my feeling, but Texas is starting to open up and I didn't get my order in soon enough. Not out, but just thinking for the short span until I get my regular bullets. I have found a few places to get JHP or even FMJ, but always trying to think ahead. Not for the long run. 

gerritm

Just now, gerritm said:

Understand, that is my feeling, but Texas is starting to open up and I didn't get my order in soon enough. Not out, but just thinking for the short span until I get my regular bullets. I have found a few places to get JHP or even FMJ, but always trying to think ahead. Not for the long run. 

gerritm

One 100 round practice session with Hiteck coated bullets put enough lead in my poppels and comp to piss me off.  Getting it out of the comp was a real PITA.  Fortunately going back to shooting JHPs blew the crap out of the poppels.  I'd rather not shoot than use poly coated for Open.

Using nothing but coated in my Czechmate. 

Running HS6, AA7 and SWMP with no crimp (i.e. case mouth set at .379"+)

When not in use I soak the comp in Hoppes No. 9 24/7 and wipe out with q tips. Plastic dental pic speeds up the process. Looks like new inside the comp when done.

Spraying the comp with case lube before shooting seems to interfere with the build up.

I don't have poppels but I can see where they may clog and don't know if my method would work on those.

20 hours ago, zzt said:

One 100 round practice session with Hiteck coated bullets put enough lead in my poppels and comp to piss me off.  Getting it out of the comp was a real PITA.  Fortunately going back to shooting JHPs blew the crap out of the poppels.  I'd rather not shoot than use poly coated for Open.

LOL! Yeah that's Hi-ghly CrapTek coated bullets for ya.... I use J-Ames Bullets with the appropriate diameter and get no leading in my comps.  Just as clean as the Remington JHP's I use. 

20 hours ago, zzt said:

ZZT, which heavy plated bullets are you using, how would you compare the accuracy vs the JHP

1 hour ago, Furrly said:

ZZT, which heavy plated bullets are you using, how would you compare the accuracy vs the JHP

I use Berry's Hollow Base Thick Plate 115 and 124 bullets for SCSA when I can get them.  They are quite accurate.  Hornady HAPs are the most accurate, followed closely by Montana Gold.  Everglades is next, followed by Precision Delta.  I only use the Berry's for SCSA.  They are right up there with Everglades JHPs in accuracy.  Even with the worst of them you can cover the entire group at 15 yards with a quarter.  HAP 115s you can cover with a dime with room to spare.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, Glockster1 said:

I use J-Ames Bullets

Well I tried to order some based on your recommendation.  The site said I could order 1000 125gr for $74 and free shipping.  Then they added $10 shipping in the cart.  There was no way to pay.  So I guess I won't be trying any of these.  There is also no phone number to call.

I’ve shot thousands of blue bullet thru my 38 SC open guns, I got a little leading in the comp but swabbing it with kroil and letting it sit until the next time I shot it would blow most of it out

Also experiment with keeping the same powder charge and go with a 115 gn bullet, because coated takes less powder than jacketed to reach the same velocity.  I did and they PF pretty close to each other, and the recoil and dot movement were the same

33 minutes ago, zzt said:

Well I tried to order some based on your recommendation.  The site said I could order 1000 125gr for $74 and free shipping.  Then they added $10 shipping in the cart.  There was no way to pay.  So I guess I won't be trying any of these.  There is also no phone number to call.

No,  ignore that. You're not using their website properly. Their website clearly says how to place an order at the top of their store page. Your shipping will be free. Fill out their order form and the shipping is free. You need to mail them a check.

You used their disabled checkout cart that they haven't activated  "yet". They will update free shipping in that cart checkout when their checkout cart page is active sometime in the future, from what they told me.

Edited by Glockster1

2 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

Their website clearly says how to place an order at the top of their store page.

Not if you click on '9mm - buy' on the Home page, which is what I did.  This time I hit shop, filled out the order form and submitted.  I'll wait for the Invoice via email.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Not if you click on '9mm - buy' on the Home page, which is what I did.  This time I hit shop, filled out the order form and submitted.  I'll wait for the Invoice via email.

Do let us know if you experience similar results as @Glockster1 and find the J-Ames bullets to be truly as non-fouling as JHPs in comps & popple holes in 9mm Major guns!

55 minutes ago, kamber said:

Do let us know if you experience similar results as @Glockster1 and find the J-Ames bullets to be truly as non-fouling as JHPs in comps & popple holes in 9mm Major guns!

To date I have fired 11,200 or so of their 135's and no leading in my pistol comps. I've also fired well over 6,000 of their 147's in my two 16" long barreled PCC guns - NO leading. I can't say that about any other coated bullet. What you don't wanna do is order a bullet that's too large or too small in diameter for your barrel rifling diameter. Slug your barrel if you don't know what it measures. I slugged mine and found out I only needed .355 diameter bullets in three of my guns.

Those teflon coated Blue bullets will lead up your comps awful... and not to mention that Blue bullets Teflon coating outgassing is a deadly toxic carcinogen that never leaves your body when inhaled. You don't dare wanna shoot those in a indoor range. Lead will eventually chelate out of your body. Teflon particulates never leave your body. That's why Teflon coated cookware for human consumption was banned in the USA and replaced with a silicon based product.

6 minutes ago, Glockster1 said:

To date I have fired 11,200 or so of their 135's and no leading in my pistol comps. I've also fired well over 6,000 of their 147's in my two 16" long barreled PCC guns - NO leading. I can't say that about any other coated bullet. What you don't wanna do is order a bullet that's too large or too small in diameter for your barrel rifling diameter. Slug your barrel if you don't know what it measures. I slugged mine and found out I only needed .355 diameter bullets in three of my guns.

Those teflon coated Blue bullets will lead up your comps awful... and not to mention that Blue bullets Teflon coating outgassing is a deadly toxic carcinogen that never leaves your body when inhaled. You don't dare wanna shoot those in a indoor range. Lead will eventually chelate out of your body. Teflon particulates never leave your body. That's why Teflon coated cookware for human consumption was banned in the USA and replaced with a silicon based product.

Great to know. If there isn't any lead fouling and they're just as accurate as Precision Delta JHP's, that would be excellent as their bulk pricing comes out to more than $.02 cpr less for the same grain bullet! I'm new to reloading and decided to just go with JHP's and be done with it since I don't want to be bothered with lead fouling whatsoever and experimenting with different coatings to find which one fouls the least for a marginal cost saving, but these seem promising.

Edited by kamber

18 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

Just a question......and not trying to start anything.

Blue Bullets doesn't say anything about Teflon in their coating....they say....it's a "Proprietary Polymer based liquid coating that we mix in house (not powder coating)".

Am I missing something here ?   And I'm sorry about deviating from the OP.

Our coating is a proprietary polymer based liquid coating that we mix in house (not a powder coating.)  The bullets are sized after the coating has cure

ting is a proprietary polymer based liquid coating that we mix in house (n are sized after the coating has cured to ensure a consistent and round bullet.

Our coating is a proprietary polymer based liquid coating that we mix in house (not a .

Just save yourself the hassle and order jacketed bullets. I ordered from Montana Gold and Precision Delta during this latest shortage and received both in a week to 10 days

Just looking ahead. Ordered MG's the other day. But the way I see this, here in SE Texas, the shooting sports look like they will be opening up shortly.

Once it does across the country if there is a shortage now, it is going to get worse as things open up. Good to have an alternative if the shortage gets worse. I load for 3 of us so go through a lot of bullets. Probably will use the coated just for PCC & limited minor and the JHP's for major. Good to have a backup plan.

gerritm