Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Bullets for 9mm Major PF

gerritm

I used to shoot Blue bullets on my open gun, nothing ever happened to my barrel or compensator no lead fouling, nada~! But I switched to Precision Delta 124gr JHP bullets instead.  Now I only shoot Blue's 9mm minor exclusively on my CZ Shadow 2 and Shadow 2 Orange and PCC...  

• 2 weeks later...

So I loaded up 25 round test batch of coated for minor to shoot in my PCC & CZ. Used my normal load & OAL of 1.12 with 124gr -- .356 coated bullets. Normally use .355 plated or FMJ. Case gauged them & plunk tested in my JP PCC barrel, but not CZ Felt tight, but OK. Took both CZ & PCC out to test and check zero. Ran fine in the PCC, but stuck several in the CZ chamber. About 75% of the rounds chambered & fired in the CZ, but others would not chamber/fire & had to be forced out to eject. 

Very accurate, but moral of the story is check them in all guns barrels. Glad it was testing & not a match. Reran them at 1.11 and all plunk tested in both.

gerritm

I've used Blues 124 .356 TC on my open gun with absolutely zero issues.  However, I decided to use Blues strictly for minor loads and pcc and use Precision Delta's for open, just a personal choice.  However, you can't go wrong with Blue's.  

At the end of the day it's all about personal preference, budget and of course taste...  Test everything out and choose what works best for ya!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 2:46 PM, Sarge said:

Just save yourself the hassle and order jacketed bullets. I ordered from Montana Gold and Precision Delta during this latest shortage and received both in a week to 10 days

Hi Sarge,

Wish I  had ordered PD when you did. My PD order is "Pending" now for 6 weeks. 

22 minutes ago, 191138sc said:

Hi Sarge,

Wish I  had ordered PD when you did. My PD order is "Pending" now for 6 weeks. 

Be prepared to resubmit your credit card info once they say they're ready to ship... credit card authorizations are typically only good for 30 days and most companies authorize the card at the time of order.  So, if you're 6 weeks from order you're card authorization is likely no good any more.  I recently had to replace two orders under similar situations.  

5 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

Be prepared to resubmit your credit card info once they say they're ready to ship... credit card authorizations are typically only good for 30 days and most companies authorize the card at the time of order.  So, if you're 6 weeks from order you're card authorization is likely no good any more.  I recently had to replace two orders under similar situations.  

Thanks for the heads up.

On 5/7/2020 at 9:57 PM, Glockster1 said:

These days I only load J-Ames Bullets products. I've shot all the rest and I'll stick with the best.

I ordered 1000 124s and 500 135s on your recommendation.   They are by far the very worst bullets I've ever shot.  They were incredibly smokey and woefully inaccurate.  So now I have 900 124s and 450 135s I'll give away to someone who doesn't care.

I have been running Eggleston and SNS coated 124RN .356 @ 1.10 OAL for minor since the shortage. Been very happy with accuracy and reliability. One thing I have noticed with the SNS is that their coating is thinner than the Eggelstons and the coating scrapes a little easier when loading with the same bell. Also get a little more lead/carbon build up at the comps on our PCC's with th SNS bullets. Nothing terrible, but can see it. Will stick with the Egglestons for now until the plated Everglade 124's come back in stock.

Found plenty of MG & Everglades 124 JHPs to run in the open gun.

gerritm