Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock Master

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't fully came to conclusion yet. I LOVE the stock 2 so it's really hard to convince me. Stock master does shoot more flat but it feels nose heavy to me, especially on transitions. Maybe I'm just use to the stock 2. I'm giving it some more time since haven't had much live fire due to the covid-19. I don't have experience with stock 3 so i don't know if stock master feels similar. 

8 hours ago, Polymer said:

I haven't fully came to conclusion yet. I LOVE the stock 2 so it's really hard to convince me. Stock master does shoot more flat but it feels nose heavy to me, especially on transitions. Maybe I'm just use to the stock 2. I'm giving it some more time since haven't had much live fire due to the covid-19. I don't have experience with stock 3 so i don't know if stock master feels similar. 

Awesome info. Would love to hear what you decide to do.

I keep getting really close to just going ahead and buying one, but then I talk myself out of it. I can’t decide if I want to go ahead and get one or wait to try and pick one up used and just keep shooting the stock 2 for now. I do really want one though.

Everyone who shoots a stock 2 really disliked my Stock 3 with the extra slide length and all that rail out front. Whereas I felt their guns to be  butt-heavy with a full mag.

That said, while the Tanfo guys tend to dislike the forward weight... the vastly more popular Shadow and Shadow 2 prove that it’s a workable recipe for thousands of CZ shooters.

I've never shot a stock master, stock 2, or stock 3, but I did buy a limited master, which is a nice gun but we never "bonded", so I sold the limited master and bought a match xtreme with a 6" slide.  Price for the match was close to the the limited master cost. For me I shoot a longer length slide better than one shorter. 

I own a stock 2 and lim pro, and had a stock 3 for a bit. If there was anything I didnt think the stock 3 needed was more weight at the nose...that being said the stock master does have lightening cuts out at the nose to do two things. Cut back the extra weight out front, and lighten the reciprocating mass. This makes me feel like anyone with a stock 3 wont have a very good frame of reference for how the stock master will feel...Personally I like the Lim Pro better than the stock 2 even. Heavier slower slide, but with a short dust cover to keep the nose weight down...Probably gonna ditch my Stock 2 to get another lim pro soon.

I reeeeally wanna get my hand on a stock master though. The cone fit barrels are extremely accurate which is great, and having that extra little bit of length will make scraping that PF floor easier as well if youre into that sort of thing.

Mine just arrived today from Patriot Defense (with Titan hammer, bolo, and other trigger work). Was able to get to range and fire 100 rounds. I shot 50 rounds of WWB 115 gr. and Fiocchi 115 gr. I had six light primer strikes with the WWB and one light strike with the Fiocchi. I wanted to use the cheaper ammo to conserve my better ammo during the ammo shortage. I'm going to test some Federal tomorrow. May have to add an extended firing pin for cheaper ammo. I like the trigger and don't want to put a heavier hammer spring in if I don't have to.

Quite accurate. I shot 15 rounds strong hand only at 27 feet and had a smile on my face when 12 were touching the center black circle of an NRA target.

I shot two sets of 10 shots rapidly and all were A-Zone hits (some drifted straight up a bit), but I don't like the wood grips (too slippery for my tastes). I'm going to put some palm swell boogies on it for next range trip.

I like the overall balance of the gun.

Edited by Steppenwolf
Typo

15.5 # PD spring with Titan hammer and other PD parts. I shot 50 rounds of Federal 115 gr. today and no light strikes. Also 20 rounds of Hornady 124 gr. with no light strikes.

Will have to use Federal primers or ammo for competition or else put in extended firing pin.

Quite accurate. I took the LOK palm swell boggies off my Stock 3 until my new metal palm swells are here. Much better grip traction.

Edited by Steppenwolf

16 hours ago, Steppenwolf said:

15.5 # PD spring with Titan hammer and other PD parts. I shot 50 rounds of Federal 115 gr. today and no light strikes. Also 20 rounds of Hornady 124 gr. with no light strikes.

Will have to use Federal primers or ammo for competition or else put in extended firing pin.

Quite accurate. I took the LOK palm swell boggies off my Stock 3 until my new metal palm swells are here. Much better grip traction.

Crazy to me to think you are getting light strikes with a titan hammer and 15.5 lb hammer spring.

Has to be something to do with the firing pin and firing pin spring. Get the PD optimized firing pin spring and PD firing pin and get that fixed.

1 hour ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Crazy to me to think you are getting light strikes with a titan hammer and 15.5 lb hammer spring.

Has to be something to do with the firing pin and firing pin spring. Get the PD optimized firing pin spring and PD firing pin and get that fixed.

That is crazy.

1 hour ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

i hope that u set the over travel screws correctly and sear don't  hit  the hammers half notch.

This is not crazy. I continue to have bookoo lite strikes with my 15.5 lb hammer spring and all the patriotdefense goodies.

The only remedy I’ve seen is to go back to the stock hammer spring. The DA pull is comparatively atrocious, but I still have 3lb SA pull.

After a few thousand strikes even the 15.5# spring will have lite strikes on federal primers also.

You'd think the Tanfolgio hammer geometry would be similar enough to a CZs that we could get away with lighter springs.

In my CZs I run 12lb hammer springs with extended firing pins/reduced power firing pin springs and can still ignite IMI and M885 primers 100%.

My Tanfoglios have 15.5 (as recommended by PD for 100% reliability) and luckily I don't need to go lower as after PDs work the DA is extremely light even with a 15.5lb and I still went with extended firing pin/reduced power firing pin springs for an extra margin of safety since I've seen a few "help I'm getting light strikes" posts here before even with what I'd consider heavier springs, like 14s and 15.5s.  Strangely, I can't launch a pencil out of the barrel of my DA Tanfoglio with a 15.5lb as far as I can with one of my CZs with a 12lb but lucky for me I've had no issues yet.

Edited by FALAR

4 hours ago, Localizer said:

This is not crazy. I continue to have bookoo lite strikes with my 15.5 lb hammer spring and all the patriotdefense goodies.

The only remedy I’ve seen is to go back to the stock hammer spring. The DA pull is comparatively atrocious, but I still have 3lb SA pull.

After a few thousand strikes even the 15.5# spring will have lite strikes on federal primers also.

I was having light strike issues with anything else besides the stock spring when I was using the PD firing pin.

I then tried the Extreme Medium Spring (which is harder than the 15.5lb PD), but less than the stock spring, and still had occasional light strikes even on factory Federal Syntech.

I tried testing without the FPB to make sure that wasn't the issue, but the problem persisted.

At wits end, I put the factory firing pin back in and all my problems went away.

• 1 month later...

Was able to shoot few matches with stock master. Incredible gun, but it didn't magically improve my scores like everyone wants. As mentioned, it is more soft/flat shooting because of all the weight out front but i did not like that during transitions. It doesn't naturally sit as deep in the web of my hand with weight out front. I don't see a need for a heavier gun for 9 minor. I weighed the slides and it surprised me they were nearly identical in weight.

Edited by Polymer

On 4/19/2020 at 3:10 PM, motherFNbrandon said:

I was having light strike issues with anything else besides the stock spring when I was using the PD firing pin.

I then tried the Extreme Medium Spring (which is harder than the 15.5lb PD), but less than the stock spring, and still had occasional light strikes even on factory Federal Syntech.

I tried testing without the FPB to make sure that wasn't the issue, but the problem persisted.

At wits end, I put the factory firing pin back in and all my problems went away.

Interesting that an extended firing pin would have light strikes when compared to the standard.  I wonder if it is lighter?

It would be interesting to measure the length of and get the weight of the 3 extended firing pins that are available now:

Patriot Defense

Tanfoglio Xtreme

Tanfoglio Unica

To see which one was the longest and heaviest.

Edited by FALAR

I put in the PD extended firing pin and have had no further light strike issues testing at least 400 rounds of different variety ammo. I did add the PD palm swell aluminum grips. They are really aggressive. I have a couple of small roughed up skin patches on my support hand, especially on the left thumb pad. I need to find out how to smooth down a couple of areas without zapping the anodized coating if possible.

I have not been able to use it in a match yet, but I like it so far. I think it balances better for me than the Shadow 2.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:30 AM, FALAR said:

You'd think the Tanfolgio hammer geometry would be similar enough to a CZs that we could get away with lighter springs.

the Tanfo spring is half the length of the CZ; CZs  have a much better design to hammer/strut/spring when it comes to chasing lighter pull weights.

With a Tanfoglio the biggest frustration is owning an otherwise terrific Dillon 650 reloding press. They simply will not seat primers to a consistent depth, and you’ll need several extra pounds of hammer spring.

I also won’t run a bolo and titan combination in any Tanfo I own anymore. For the minor increase in trigger sexiness, you lose a considerable amount of hanmer travel versus the stock components in double action. It’s dramatic enough that you can easily see the difference with your naked eye. They don’t hit as hard without a modification to restore the hammer travel.

(Primarily, I wish I hadn’t gone titan/bolo because it causes the trigger to shatter like glass with zero creep. It’s a 1911. I prefer a gun with a rollling break like most polyer guns, consistently moving rearward as you add weight.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

12 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

the Tanfo spring is half the length of the CZ; CZs  have a much better design to hammer/strut/spring when it comes to chasing lighter pull weights.

With a Tanfoglio the biggest frustration is owning an otherwise terrific Dillon 650 reloding press. They simply will not seat primers to a consistent depth, and you’ll need several extra pounds of hammer spring.

I also won’t run a bolo and titan combination in any Tanfo I own anymore. For the minor increase in trigger sexiness, you lose a considerable amount of hanmer travel versus the stock components in double action. It’s dramatic enough that you can easily see the difference with your naked eye. They don’t hit as hard without a modification to restore the hammer travel.

Interesting.  I started off with an XL650 as my first press (which I bought from Brian Enos, which is why I have an account here) and didn't keep with it for long due to the powder throw not being accurate enough for me with stick powders for loading .308 but also due to the primer seating issue.

I can see the difference you're talking about in my PD tuned Stock III.  The DA hammer travel seems very short and abrupt.  Thankfully, for now I don't have any issues since I'm only using one type of ammo and I have a 5 3/4lb DA and a 2-2 1/4lb SA with no pre travel with a 15.5lb hammer spring.  It seems that the window for correct function is small with this combo, glad they have a lot of experience with it and can "nail it".

I've seen a few posts here about the Unica DA/SA hammer (and the SAO hammer) and it intrigued me as it seems to go the other way---increased arc, more mass, harder hits while still providing great triggers.  I wonder what would be the optimum disco/interrupter to use with it though---unless it comes with one.  I haven't seen many reports here on what the xtreme interrupter does since most are running PD bolos.

Edited by FALAR

The extreme interruptor / disconnector is the same as the factory one. Just like the sear and the sear cage.

The only difference is the finish. For years, IPSC competitiors were forbidden from polishing internals. Xtreme parts have a silver-ish finish that is much smoother than the black coating ours get... and their finish just might happen to hide a little polishing if it happens to occur. ;) 

If I were to build another tanfo, it’d get a full workup of good springs, and a single piece sear. However the trigger, hammer, and disco would be left alone.

Incidentally enough, that’s the setup that many of the guys winning major matches with one happen to be running.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, Polymer said:

Patriot firing pin should be longest and heaviest.

The xtreme is same as factory, and reports on here is the unica is same as xtreme but with a coating. 

So when they advertise them as extended, that is false?

wow

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Even with the bolo modified to maximize hammer travel in d.a.? There is a neat thread around here somewhere about shaving them down as much as you can get by with. 

On 4/19/2020 at 8:14 AM, ngodwetrust21 said:

Are the light strikes in this thread only occurring in d.a. ?