Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Trusight" Gun Is "legal" For Standard Division

cking

STI gram says.

With the IPSC decision that the "TruSight" gun is "legal" for Standard Division, the influx of orders has started with a "bang". USPSA has inferred that it will meet the definition for "Limited" in it’s original configuration. We are still mulling over the "expansion chamber". We find no Rule in the current Rule Book that would prohibit it. We’ll keep you posted.

I can't find anything out about what this means.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Basically, it is a Hornet with the Trubor not...bored. Instead of a comp, the end of the barrel matches the slide profile for 3/4", with the front sight dovetailed on top.

The gun is exactly the same weight and profile as a standard 5", so no weight was added or "external modifications" done.

The inside of the end of the barrel/front sight assembly is backbored, forming an expansion chamber; like a comp with no external ports.

Neat stuff.

A

Quick, someone refresh my memory, why do we have a limited class again?

If we're going to allow this sort of gamey stuff, why don't we just kill limited class and just go ahead and use the IPSC Modified class rules?

how is it a barrel weight if the part is the same piece as the barrel?

not arguing, and part of me doesnt think this should be limited legal...but then again if we didnt embrace change we would all be shooting singlestack 45s

this should be OK if infinity can have the sightracker, if they meet the production #s it should be OK for limited...since it doesnt weigh more than a 5 inch gun, the only thing thats heavier is the barrel. what makes this different than the sight tracker?

harmon

Hey Harmon.

I am just stating my opinion. It is not, at all, what was discribed to me when Dave Skinner told me about it. Dave explained it would look like any other limited gun with a 5 in slide. The difference would be the last 3/4 in of the barrel would be bored out to .500 or so. If you didn't look at the muzzle you wouldn't know it was any different than what we run now. The pic posted sure looks like a commander length "Pin Gun" used at Second Chance all them years ago.

Besides, we have allowed 6 in limited guns. Why not build it with a 5 in slide and barrel then add the....whatever you want to call it out on the end.

I think SVI's "Sight Tracker" is just fine. The concept allows you to have several barrels (ported. hybrid, comped, etc) fit to the same frame/slide. You only have to swap barrels to go from standard/ limited/l-10 to modified or open.

And I love to shoot 1911's, and Glocks, and, STI's......... well........pretty much anything that goes bang.

I think we all know what it takes to get something approved. Crazier things have happened and are being planned right now.

Edited by Caspian_45

A short dust cover frame with a classic slide profile would do wonders for its looks.

As far as legal or not? Remember building a better mouse trap within the confines of the rules is what competition is all about.

Bernoulli's principle states that ....as velocity decreases, pressure increases (works for both fliuds and gasses). The expansion chamber to would seem to decrease velocity of the gasses therefore increasing pressure. The only place for the increased pressure to go is out the one hole in the muzzle. This would INCREASE the "rocket effect" and theoretically induce more muzzle flip.

What am I missing here...

Two things that I am thinking of while reading this post. One is the CZ SP-01 episode where a gun manufacturer designs something within the rules then someone wants to rewrite the rules because of it's introduction. Personally I don't know if this falls within the rules or not, it is just what this reminds me of.

Secondly, is a phenom that I have seen over and over again. I first experienced it in the sporty clay arena. People keep trying to buy this new gun or that new gun to gain a competitive edge. The truth of it is that more improvement in scores would take place by adding some time to your dry fire routine than buying some new fangled piece of hardware. Human nature is that we just want to buy it and not earn it. We all want a pill to take that we can eat like pigs and still look like a 25 year old body builder. We want to buy the shinny new gun that will make us shoot better without added effort. It's the human beast.

Sometimes things are introduced that do help mechanically, but at this point they are usually small increments. After the fundamentals are there much of match performance is between your ears. So if the new shiny gizmo makes you think you will be better who am I to say not to get it.