Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Caffeine Factor

Is anyone here affected by caffeine from the standpoint of stability with respect to trigger control and grip from the standpoint of slight shaking of the hands , respiration, etc.

I am diabetic, but HAVE to have my coffee or tea in the morning. Alot of matches take place at that time, so even casual shooting is affected as well, One has to come to a point to go without and in the end, its whatever works for you, I am just curious how many folks take this into consideration.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a caffeine abuser of long standing, let me say that there is a point of balance to be had here. It's maintenance thing, just enough is just right. Speaking of which, I believe it's time for another cup-o-joe ;-)

--

Regards,

Just like that song by the Police with the repeating chorus "Too Much Information, Runnin' Round My Brain".

Got ya Cullen, now it's time for some more coffee!

I'm actually not kidding here, I hafta get a large estimate done tonight and more coffee is the only way in heck that's gonna happen ;-)

I guess it does have an effect on USPSA type stuff...I am sure does with long range or silhouette shooting. When you can see your heart beat in the scope movement it is pretty apparent.

So just what are we willing to give up???

Not me.

Gotta have my caffeine, I'm a wreck without it. Takes a LOT to give me the shakes, but everybody is different. I'm not a morning person, so I generally have at least 4-5 cups of coffee before a match. Any less and I'd probably shoot myself in the foot on the first stage. :P On the bright side, I don't seem to be taking in near enough to take me out: Death by Caffeine :lol:

It is truly a drug. I gotta slam several cups every morning just to get back to normal. If I go too long after waking up before I start, I get a MASSIVE headache.

And now, like George, I think I'll have another cup. :)

For practical pistol shooting I would be thinking less about the shakes and more about caffeine's diuretic effects and reduction in deep sleep.

On the other hand if you are a regular caffeine consumer, match day is not the time to quit.

I like my coffee too, but I normally only have a cup when I feel runned down or dragging. Most mornings Ill have a cup, but sometimes I feel fine when I get up and dont have one. I might have one later in the day if I feel like Im dragging.

I remember way back when the folks in the precision shooting sports talked about laying off the caffiene, stacking carbs, biorhythms, and all that stuff. The general consensus was to lead a healty lifestyle and follow your daily routine. Even if you don't lead a healthy lifestyle it's still important to follow your routine, lol.

At Area One I was eating supper with a GM shooter who was telling about the time he kept buying beer for a couple of his competitors the evening before a major shoot. He was wanting to have the advantage of shooting against them with a clear head while they nursed a hang over. He told me it didn't work, they still dominated the match.

The Air Force had a program called Substance Abuse and caffeine was included. Seems some of the midnight shift workers were drinking so much coffee to stay awake at work that they had sleeping problems and had to take prescription sleeping pills.

We had a beer drinker get off the program when he got down to a 6 pack a day and convinced them he just liked the taste.

I like Coffee in the Morning to get me going about 3 cups. Like said above lots of other things to worry about in a match other than Caffine. It never seems to play a role in any match i have been to.

Just did the Calculations on the above link it takes about 115 cups to kill me

Edited by scorch

Slightly off topic but caffeine seems to really help my dry-fire sessions a LOT.

At a match, I usually try to check my hands for shaking or heart beating against my sternum. If that's happening, no caffeine that day.

PS - 217 cans of Diet Mountain Dew = RIP

Flex are you talking about last weekend? :) Definitley distracted my shooting. Reminded me why I'm not a certified RO.

i used to be really hung up on every little aspect of shooting, no drinking before the match, no coke or coffee the day of. certainly no red bull.... i think it's most important to just BE RELAXED.

Right now I am dying, I ran out of coffee and have a horendous headache. BTW I love Penguins mints also. They make caffeinated peppermints. www.peppermints.com

If you eat 5,373.77 Penguin Mints, you'll be pushing up daisies

Thanks for the feedback guys, its really interesting. Since I am diabetic, I mainly drink Diet Coke and tea or coffee with splenda or equivalent substitute.

When we get to our level of shooting, even the slightest jitter can cost, I guess I am more vulnerable being diabetic, so its something that I have noticed about myself, but different folks react in different ways.