Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noisy Dillon Case Feeder

I just installed a Dillon Case Feeder on my 650.  I was surprised at how much noise was generated when there are cases in the hopper.  I may be more sensitive to the noise because of my hearing aids. Has anyone found a way to suppress the noise at all?  Maybe wrapping the hopper in some kind of insulation? Thanks for any help.

The new version is more annoying. Maybe not louder but the higher frequency hurts my ears. 

I suppose you could put some insulation on the motor but maybe that isn’t good for it (too hot?).

You can start by putting hard insulation on top of collator as that will help with the case noise.

There was a posting, exactly where I don't recall, benos, Facebook, ???, where somebody fitted a cover over the collator drum.

Something like the lid to a frying pan that just happened to fit??? 

Apparently helped quite a bit with the noise coming from the cases.

Until I changed my bench around my 650 was located real close to the garage door.  My wife would complain at times about the case feeder noise coming into the house. I found that if I draped a folded beach towel (bigger so I had 3x layers ) over the feeder it really cut down on the noise. Also if the towel went down the sides of the feeder it also seemed to deaden the noise coming through the plastic sides of the feeder also.   

3 hours ago, Intel6 said:

Until I changed my bench around my 650 was located real close to the garage door.  My wife would complain at times about the case feeder noise coming into the house. I found that if I draped a folded beach towel (bigger so I had 3x layers ) over the feeder it really cut down on the noise. Also if the towel went down the sides of the feeder it also seemed to deaden the noise coming through the plastic sides of the feeder also.   

that’s a great idea

I'll echo the poster above, try the hornady case feeder, the dillon one seems near silent compared to that. Now onto solutions, I think I remember a picture of someone using a pot lid to cover the opening, and mentioned that it significantly lowered the volume.

Brass is a very acoustic metal. No wonder that's why they use brass for instruments due to their acoustic properties. But as a result brass clanging against each other in a case feeder is gonna be loud enough to merit the use of ear pro while loading. Or you can do what others have done and put a cover/towel/pillow/whatever over the collator bowl in a way that doesn't obstruct function in order to deaden the noise a little bit.

I do notice that the recent models of the Dillon casefeeder with the variable rate motor is a lot louder than the earlier motor with less torque. Tradeoff, I guess, of having a more powerful motor in the current model casefeeder.

• 3 weeks later...