Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 Hogue Big Butt Grips

TheGoatMumbler

I think that it will depend on how they feel in your hand and the size of your hand. I have large hands and both fit me well.  With that being said if they don't quite fit Hogue can build you a grip just for you and your hand size. I use them on all of my competition guns.

All depends on what one you buy
They have rubber ones with and without finger grooves with is the same grip that comes on the gun but with a big butt glued on. The non finger groove rubber grips are basically the same grip with the grooves ground off and blended in so they are a fair bit smaller.
They also make wood ones with and without finger grooves in checkered and smooth.

Personally I cant stand the finger groove grips the grooves are in the wrong place for how I grip the gun. But one of people that liken them so the only answer is to try some different styles and see what you like. If you know anyone with different grips ask to try them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Biggest mistake I made was trying a set on my old 627, I now own multiple sets and any new purchases will likely have a set as well. Then last year Pat Hogue offered to custom fit a set for a friends 929, now everyone wants their custom fit for just a few dollars more. I am one of the fortunate ones where the finger grooves fit me perfectly and can switch to grooveless and not notice the difference. The only shooter I know that does not like the Hogue grip found a Pachmayer that  fit his hand better. By the way I prefer the Big Butt in Rubber and wood.

One is Hogue Big Butt, the other is Nill Grip.

What I like about the Nill is that the shelf at the bottom provides a good place for the support hand pinkie where it sits flat against it and helps with the recoil control (whatever small recoil there is). It has finger grooves that happen to fit me so I don't notice them - it's one of those deals where the feature (finger grooves) doesn't help and can only be a disadvantage if it doesn't fit you. 

The Big Butt at the bottom is rubber so it doesn't wiggle, it's narrower than Nill so more suitable for smaller hands. No finger grooves makes it suitable for any shape hand without side effects. The bottom shelf works for pinkie, but it's not as nice as on Nill. As you can tell, I prefer Nill, with Big Butt being a close second (not enough preference to change it). I actually ordered another Big Butt for my new Super GP100 and it is wood, has finger grooves and checkering. It shows that such small details are really a matter of preference.

i had BB rubber with finger groves and loved them. I ended up with BB ruber without

the finger grooves on my newest 929 and like them just as well. You might get the

one with finger grooves and dremel them off if they bother you.I think you will be

happy with either one.

I started with a nice set of grips with checkering and finger grooves I liked but switched to smooth Big Butt..  Decided I like the old grips better but with Lardgebhands the butt helped so I cut off and mounted to the original grips..  Now I have what I want/like ...  Houge will do a custom set for you so you wouldn't have to cut 2 up!!!  LOL....

IMG_2218.JPG

• 3 years later...