Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remembering Ammo

Armedinmd

I forgot ammo once. Loaded mags, put them in the bag, carried the bag to the door, let the ammo boxes neatly stacked. Not sure how I missed the lack of weight.

Someone loaned me 100ish rounds of factory. Asked him what I owed when it was over and he wouldn't take more than $20.

Might consider a good large range bag or backpack style. It has everything needed for any match except ammo, belt/holster/mag holders, gun, & mags. The gun & mags are in a separate bag that fits in my range bag. So when I check before the match all I have to look for is range bag, gun bag, belt, & ammo. Eyes, ears. spare parts, oil, etc. never leave the range bag. Take them out at the match, back in after.

gerritm

+1 on the large range bag.  Mine is the largest I could find, when I bought it; has its own zip code.  Holds everything I need for a match except for my belt/holster.  Throw everything in the night before, so all you have to do the next morning is throw it in the car.  Considering how everyone is using the collapsible wagons, these days, it's not even a hassle to lug around.

Range bag always has everything.Just add my ammo and guns.

I use mini ammo bags they hold bout 500 rounds of 9mm and 3-4 times what i need for match or about what i shoot on practice.

I have forgotten ammo for certain guns(not all/and it was a practice day)

I have left rifle at range(not my proudest moment/lived an hour from range and noticed once i got home/someone was nice enough to hold it for me.)

I have been thinking checklist and I will still probably do one. However I really like the idea of a range bag with everything in it. I normally have my stuff on some shelving and just throw everything together before a range trip. I think it would be really beneficial to just keep one packed with everything except the guns and mags, so I just grab one bag and it encompasses lots. Right now I use a LAPG small range bag and pistol bad. I might keep an eye out so a little larger of a range bag, though I feel like I should be able to pack the basics in what I have. Thanks for all of the ideas, I'll be putting them to use this weekend at my first 3 gun match.

We shoot USPSA & 3-gun. There are 3 of us. My son, granddaughter, & myself. Not too bad for USPSA, but, Imagine the amount of stuff for all 3 of us for a 3-gun match. Each one of has a range bag with standard items that never change. I have all of the spare parts for 3-guns in a separate bag besides my standard range back pack.

It has become a standard routine for us to keep all organized and not forget anything. Really the only things to pack are guns, mags, ammo, holster & belts. Rest is in our range bags. Worst thing was a 4 hour drive to a 3-gun match and my son forgot the key to a loop type gun lock on his shotgun half way into the trip. Needless to say there was a quick stop at a Home Depot for a pair of bolt cutters.

gerritm

2 hours ago, gerritm said:

We shoot USPSA & 3-gun. There are 3 of us. My son, granddaughter, & myself. Not too bad for USPSA, but, Imagine the amount of stuff for all 3 of us for a 3-gun match. Each one of has a range bag with standard items that never change. I have all of the spare parts for 3-guns in a separate bag besides my standard range back pack.

It has become a standard routine for us to keep all organized and not forget anything. Really the only things to pack are guns, mags, ammo, holster & belts. Rest is in our range bags. Worst thing was a 4 hour drive to a 3-gun match and my son forgot the key to a loop type gun lock on his shotgun half way into the trip. Needless to say there was a quick stop at a Home Depot for a pair of bolt cutters.

gerritm

Do three of you have a preferred range bag, I have been looking in the gear section and see there are lots of different recommendations. Also once your at the range for a match do you typically carry the bags and guns or put them in a wagon/cart.

We each have a backpack type range bag. GPS Gunner & a Midway USA. We use to store gear & pistols/mags then transfer to a cart at the range. Can carry several pistols including backups and wrap the holster belt around the backpack. Plenty of room.

Especially for 3gun. Sometimes just carry the backpack for USPSA. Depends on the match.  I have a Rangerunner cart for 3-gun. My son & grandaughter both have converted baby jogging strollers. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018312232

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1085600349841?pid=349841

gerritm

Thank you for the description and links. I hadn't seen the Midway backpack before. It looks really nice with the different pistol pouches. I also like how it has compartments for eyes and ears. I figure those items probably cover what should be in the range bag. 

19 hours ago, gerritm said:

Worst thing was a 4 hour drive to a 3-gun match and my son forgot the key to a loop type gun lock on his shotgun half way into the trip. Needless to say there was a quick stop at a Home Depot for a pair of bolt cutters.

gerritm

+1 forgetting the gun lock key, but it was a through the trigger guard type.

So embarrassing when I brought the gun so someone else could use it.

Bullets go in the magazine(s) which go in the gun which goes in the holster (which is attached to the belt). Load the range bag in that order. Most of whatever else I need stays in the range bag.

I forgot my belt/rig once going to a sectional match that was four hours away. Lucked out and was able to borrow gear.

• 5 months later...

Seen a few questions on here about bags. I recently purchased the Safariland Range Backpack. That thing is amazing. I shoot USPSA and Multigun. For USPSA, it’s all I need and still have room for water and snacks. For Multigun just need ammo, shotgun and rifle. It is absolutely the best bag ever!

• 3 months later...

Live north of Detroit.  Match was in Toledo, OH.  Discovered ammo was missing when I hit the range.  Called the wife and asked her to meet me half-way.  Now I prep for EVERY match the night before.  For the one's that are "out of town" there is a written checklist verified against what is put in the truck.

The hard lessons are the ones best remembered....

BC

3 hours ago, BillChunn said:

Live north of Detroit.  Match was in Toledo, OH.  Discovered ammo was missing when I hit the range.  Called the wife and asked her to meet me half-way.  Now I prep for EVERY match the night before.  For the one's that are "out of town" there is a written checklist verified against what is put in the truck.

The hard lessons are the ones best remembered....

BC

I've started doing much the same for range practice, but using an email in the Drafts folder that can be modified as I go - either adding to (e.g. double check that I have spare batteries for the chrono or shot timer) or for checking off as stuff goes in the vehicle.

Took a break for a few years.  First match back I showed up with a non-functional holster.  Now a backup (or two) are part of the checklist.

• 2 months later...