Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remembering Ammo

Armedinmd

Ive forgotten my horse rolling out to a horse race.

trailer hooked up, everything loaded before work, worked till 1am, plan was to catch a 2 hour nap and be rolling out by 4am,,, roll down driveway, look over and horse is standing there....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I always do a last minute check...go down a mental checklist in my head as I'm buckling up and rolling down the driveway headed to the match.  Start my checklist with the most important items first in roughly a priority order.  Something like #1-Gun(check), #2-Gunbelt and rig(check), #3-Ammo&Magazines(check), etc.  If I can't confirm mentally that I'm 100% sure I packed it, I might stop and check quick to verify.  Better to catch any missing gear and correct before you get too far from home.  That way I can also relax and enjoy the drive knowing I have everything for the match!

• 8 months later...

During match season, I leave 200 rounds of ammo in the trunk of the car at all times.  The ammo never leaves the vehicle.  That way I always have ammo for a reshoot, or for a brain fart where I left my intended ammo at home.  I have left my intended ammo at home and I have used the emergency ammo to carry on.  No one was the wiser.  🙂 

I have the same rule for batteries for optics and shot timer and hearing protection. A package of every type I need remains in the car really year round.  If I am at a match chances are I drove there and will have batteries.  I also have a set in my range bag just in case I got a ride with someone else.  I have used the batteries for one device or another several times and many more times, given them to some other shooter whose optic died or earmuffs shut down.  

Edited by lawboy