Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Xl650 Vs. Super 1050

I'm sure the 650 will more than serve my purpose, but I really don't mind the longer caliber change.  I like working on this kinda things, it relaxes me.  Super 1050 it is!

You definitely won't be sorry with the 1050.

My only other advice is to order from the benos.com store. You get free shipping and a bullet tray @ n/c (not to mention supporting this forum).

I love my 650, but the 1050 sounds SEXY! And, a bunch of my friends have 1050's :(

But, I can't imagine that the 1050 is THAT much faster. I can load as fast as I can put a bullet on top of the case on my 650XL

NOW, if that 1050 had a bullet feeder :o count me IN!!!! :D

Z, it is that much faster since you dont have to prime on the upstroke and bottom out the handle by "feel" to get the primer seated. The 1050 series prime on the down stroke mechanically, so you dont even feel it, it is just one smooth stroke, and the stroke is a little stiffer than the 650 if you use the primer swager. If you are set up to swage like I am right now and a case isnt in the shellplate you think something is wrong since it is so smooth. Dont try one, cuz when you do.... ;)

Doug

That was just plane NOT NICE!!!!! :angry:

I do like the priming on the downstroke, but I find I have no problem the the 650 style of priming. NOW, if it seemed that much faster...... :)

OK, which one of you genius' with way too much time on your hands is gonna design a bullet feeder that we can ALL AFFORD? :unsure:

In NUMEROUS past threads it does exert less pressure on the elbow due to the shorter/single down stroke, some have even upgraded from the 550/650 to the 1050 for that very reason.

Maybe i'll find a used one at much savings one day... Until then I have faith in my 650 and my roller handle.

I have both a 650 and a 1050. I recently purchased the primer tube filler and was noticing that on the 1050 I was over halfway through the primers by the time the primer tube machine stopped. The primer machine runs for 2 minutes. I timed myself after I loaded the primer tube and it took me 3 minutes 35 seconds to load 100 rounds. That was with one case tipping over at station 1. I couldn't do that on a 650. The 1050 is so much better. I also had overall length isuues on the 650. The overall length would vary plus or minus .015. With the 1050 it decreased to .002.

P.S.  Never remove the anti-reverse ratchet thingy like I did, it will make reloading smoother, but death is almost certain.  You have been warned! :ph34r:

That's the first thing I took off when I replaced my old 1000 with a 1050. (Please don't ask me why I replaced the 1000.)

:D

Sorry, (no, not sorry, but I do apologize) for the thread drift, but the ratchet thingy is driving me crazy! If I stare at it it works fine but just let me look away to check the powder charge in the case as I move the lever and the {expletive deleted} ratchet locks up! Does it have a purpose other than to just annoy the {other expletive deleted} out of me?

[/thread drift]

I have a 650 which was my first purchase with .40 and .45 dies and a 1050 with .38SC. I am saving my pennies for a second 1050 in .40 and I'll leave the 650 set up for .45. Much better, smoother, quicker is the 1050. The force is strong with this one....

Dale,

I had the same issue with one of mine. A quick call to Dillon provided the cure.

Lean around the left side of the machine and you'll see an allen-head stud* screwed into the frame from the left side. It's the pivot point for the ratcheting lever. If it's too loose it allows the lock to fall back into place and engage the teeth on the ratchet. Tighten it 1/4 - 1/2 turn. That should take care of it.

*Part number 20635, on page 27 of the Super1050 maunal.

...Mark

Edited by ima45dv8

Ok I did a bad thing.....

I cranked out 9K rounds of ammo in 3 calibers on my 550B before going out for some training with Matt Burkett. While there he needed to load some rounds up to shoot with us. He asked if I wanted to try the 1050 he had setup and the little guy in the red suit and pitchfork on my shoulder said SURE!!!!!

Well you all know the end of the story. A 1050 is in my near future and the 550B will be regulated to low production runs of other calibers I own. The smoothness of the 1050 was incredible.

I love the idea of setting the primer depth and not "feeling" it. This of course was exacberated by the fact that the 3K rounds I shipped out for training in my 38SC had major problems due to high primers. These were all felt to be seated but in actuality were .001 to .002 high. Lets just say I had plenty of practice on failure drills. Now I know why slide rackers were invented. :lol:

so end result is my daughter is now going to a 38sc open setup (my backup gun :D ) and the 1050 will crank out ammo for both of us.

Have a blast and get the 1050..

Steven

PS>

Matt did make a good point.

"Buying a 1050 is like putting money in a savings account. You can sell it 3 or 4 years down the road if you have to and recoup most if not all of your initial investment."

if money is no object than by all means buy two or three 1050's but when you're reloading 5 different rounds the 650 is the way to go.

btw, you will break parts on the 1050. i had one....for 3 months....

Wow you broke "parts" as in multiple not singular as in "part"

I own 2 super 1050's never broke a single part let alone parts!

i also own 1 650 which is a great machine as well but the fact is if your up-strokin you are wasting valuable time that could be better spent sipping mint julips out on the viranda whilst trying to swoon a fine young southern belle!

Or you could just make rash statements at random over an obvious equipment malfunction that totally waxed your A-- !

Just my .02

if money is no object than by all means buy two or three 1050's but when you're reloading 5 different rounds the 650 is the way to go.

btw, you will break parts on the 1050. i had one....for 3 months....

Or you could just make rash statements at random over an obvious equipment malfunction that totally waxed your A-- !

Just my .02

Now now now......Tsk tsk... ;)

I have 4 1050s, 2 of them with auto bullet feeder.

I kept the old 550 for "small production runs" it sit in the corner collectiing dust.

First thing I do is remove the annoying ratchety thing.

My 1050 have 100 s of thousands of rounds, never look back it is of course only money.

But darn well spent.

Matt's correct I bought my last 1050 used for $950.00 the guy told me he made money on the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my 550B is great, and I would NEVER let it go.... but I simply need to spend less time loading, and I'm gonna be using a lot more ammunition next year, so I dropped a check to Brian this afternoon fot a Super 1050 in 40 S&W and an RF100...

I probably should have just moved up to the 650... But then I'd have three presses within a year when I moved up to the 1050 anyway. ;)

Edited by cautery