Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Care to share some RO tips or experiences we can learn from

Jonesjohnm

Good afternoon,

I’m excited to be taking my NROI cert class this weekend with one of my local clubs. I’m really excited to better learn more about our sport, regulation, procedures. I’ve been shooting for quite a few years now and usually end up running a tablet at matches, so I figured why not further my involvement and education. I’ve been brushing up on all the rules and practice tests, however I must admit I’m still a little intimidated for what comes AFTER I pass.

I can remember this one time a few years ago as a shooter when a quick thinking RO stopped me amongst a unknowingly dangerous situation. During the course of fire I had a softer shot occur while shooting at a small steel popper. I just assumed I missed. The gun failed the chamber the next round, I racked the slide to load a new round. Before I realized what had happened, my RO stopped me. I failed to register that the “soft” round was a squib. The bullet had stopped and barely cleared the chamber. The following attempts at chambering rounds were making making contact and preventing the slide from fully closing. Thank god it had not gone an 1/8” of an inch deeper.

That RO was more aware of what had happened that I was! I realize that there is experience involved in these types of situations, however I guess my biggest concern is that I encounter a new/ inexperienced shooter, like I was at that time, and I won’t catch a less than obvious safety issue. I’m lucky enough to have a friend who is an incredibly versed/ experience RO I know I can’t count on for help learned the ropes.

Those of you who are RO’s, would you care to share some tips or experiences that new incoming RO’s could benefit from. I’m looking forward to further learning and growth in this sport and want to be the best RO I can be!

Thanks all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dont argue with a shooter, make the ruling, maybe briefly listen to what the shooter has to say, make the ruling and move on. Tell them they are free to escalate, or arbitrate per the rule book.
You get some folks that are used to getting their way if they cause a big enough ruckuss, dont get sucked into it. Whether its a DQ or  a points issue.

Volunteer to work some major matches. They will put you with an experienced crew. At a major, you will experience 200-300 (or more) different shooters. Much different than running the same local guys over and over.

Good luck!

ChuckS

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Volunteer to work some major matches. They will put you with an experienced crew. At a major, you will experience 200-300 (or more) different shooters. Much different than running the same local guys over and over.

Good luck!

ChuckS

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Even as a brand new RO (maybe *especially* as a new RO) there is a place for you at major matches, even nationals. You'll learn more and gain more confidence at 1 major match than a year or two of running shooters locally (and you'll probably get your match fee and hotel paid too).

Edited by motosapiens

To your point Joe, I have seen shooters do this. While I don’t think it’s sportsmanlike to cause I ruckus I know some who do. Some of the worst scenes I’ve witnessed were very veteran shooters. This is not a part of the service I look forward too, but it will come with the territory unfortunately.

Know the rules to the best of your ability.

Try not to second guess, there are escalation options for a reason.

Don't let yourself be bullied by shooters. 

Don't forget to count capacity restricted divisions.

Listen for squibs

It's okay to go back and check stage is fully reset and clear just not after make ready

• 2 weeks later...

Carry a zip tie or similar in your pocket. If you stop someone for a suspected squib you can confirm by passing the zip tie through the barrel before they go to the safe table to check. Much quicker and easier than trying to look down the barrel.

Also (especially at locals) make sure the RO on the scoring tablet knows that they should be on the opposite side of the shooter as you and do not need to be certified to make a call for a safety violation that you are not able to see.

Carry a few pasters. If a target gets overlooked it’s quicker to just paste it rather than yelling at the squad to have someone come back and do it.

At unload and show clear move the timer away from the shooter and hold it behind you. This (1) allows the scorer to read the time and (2) prevents the ejected round from striking the timer which would register as an additional shot on the timer.

2 hours ago, MJinPA said:

Carry a zip tie or similar in your pocket....

Maybe even a squib rod (not necessarily on you, but in your gear)

Two overlays for scoring (one for determining the line when the target has many patches, one to determine the bullet hole)

When there's a retreat in a stage, get out of the way before the competitor moves. You don't absolutely need to get every shot on the timer.

Oh,

Don't put the timer behind your back before the last shot is certainly fired. Don't ask....

Edited by perttime

This may seem obvious but - know the rules.

Especially when it comes to rule infractions leading to a DQ, you may only see it for a split second and you'll have to call it right there and then. As a brand new RO, issuing a DQ may feel intimidating, especially if it's a veteran shooter. If you completely trust your knowledge of the rules you will be more confident in making the tough calls.

Also - carry a printed out version of the rule book. Not because you don't know the rules but to show the shooter the rule if and when and argument arises.

3 hours ago, JonasAberg said:

This may seem obvious but - know the rules.

Also - carry a printed out version of the rule book. Not because you don't know the rules but to show the shooter the rule if and when and argument arises.

A PDF file on the phone works too.

Konkapot will confirm this piece of advice as he was one looking at wrong end of the gun but years ago we we having a match.  I was r.o.ing after doing all setup for all the stages, props, etc so I was tired.  Late in the day the safest shooter I know was shooting.  To save myself 2 steps, I took a shortcut & got out of position.  Mr. Safe shooter managed to get barrel of his gun hung up in wall netting & swept the entire squad.  Problem was, I was out of position & couldnt see it.  I knew it happened but if you dont see it, you cant call it.  Konkapot explained in no uncertain terms how mad he was.  I still remember to this day lessons... no matter how safe the shooter is, dont get lazy.  It could have been a terrible accident but we got lucky.  I never want to count on lucky again.  Haha..  never want a chewing out from john "konkapot" again either!!!!!

Everyone makes mistakes.  Learn.  Remember.

52 minutes ago, mlmiller1 said:

Konkapot will confirm this piece of advice as he was one looking at wrong end of the gun but years ago we we having a match.  I was r.o.ing after doing all setup for all the stages, props, etc so I was tired.  Late in the day the safest shooter I know was shooting.  To save myself 2 steps, I took a shortcut & got out of position.  Mr. Safe shooter managed to get barrel of his gun hung up in wall netting & swept the entire squad.  Problem was, I was out of position & couldnt see it.  I knew it happened but if you dont see it, you cant call it.  Konkapot explained in no uncertain terms how mad he was.  I still remember to this day lessons... no matter how safe the shooter is, dont get lazy.  It could have been a terrible accident but we got lucky.  I never want to count on lucky again.  Haha..  never want a chewing out from john "konkapot" again either!!!!!

Everyone makes mistakes.  Learn.  Remember.

There should never be an ass chewing during a shooting match. Regardless of how right or wrong somebody feels , it should never escalate to that.

This is all excellent advice, hopefully we can keep this going for all new incoming RO’s!!! I went ahead and ordered myself a new timer in celebration of getting my card, I’m super excited to continue and grow and learn in the sport!

It is quite possible to get a spent shell in the timer from the last shot too, not just at ULSC. See if you can position yourself so that it is unlikely.

It ain't over at "Hammer down. Holster. Range is Clear". You still need to get the scoring recorded right. If you are calling the scores, give the guy with the pad a chance (does anyone still use paper?) Don't rush. If you are the guy with the pad, don't hesitate to call Wait, Stop or "Say again" if you have trouble hearing the score or getting it right on the pad. Sometimes hand signals can help even at pistol matches when adjacent stages are making noise.

Once you start "If you are finished, unload and show clear", be ready to move the timer away from the shooter so it does not pick up any extraneous noises from that process. If you can do it, take a glance at the time before issuing the command so you can tell if it picked up anything extra on accident. 

For PCC, learn to get the timer further forward and facing the muzzle. Sometimes you need to really get in there at the last shooting position but you need to watch out you don't interfere (or worse)