Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running a shooter without ro certification?

Learn2count

It was very cold for our last match.  We didnt have alot of RO's show up so i was on a squad with only one.  When he was the shooter he handed me the timer.  I was curious if its ok to run a shooter if you're not certified?  I had fun being the timer stand with only 9 matches to my name.  The RO let me run some more shooters while he kept his hands warm.  Im going to take a class this summer.

While I will say it is obviously preferable to have someone certified run the timer, depending on the squad, there have been times where I see uncertified people get involved. These are local club matches and as long as you're keeping safety in mind and obeying the written stage briefing, I think it does more good than harm.

6 minutes ago, Learn2count said:

It was very cold for our last match.  We didnt have alot of RO's show up so i was on a squad with only one.  When he was the shooter he handed me the timer.  I was curious if its ok to run a shooter if you're not certified?  I had fun being the timer stand with only 9 matches to my name.  The RO let me run some more shooters while he kept his hands warm.  Im going to take a class this summer.

No problem at all. Happens all the time. 

Great way to get others introduced to being an RO and hopefully, you will continue with your learning and get your National Range Officers Institute (NROI) certification in the near future. 

When our club first started, I think we may have had one certified RO. I'd attended the class like 11yrs previous, but had been away from the sport for nearly 10yrs. Now, a large portion of our regular members are ROs and I'm a CRO. As long as you're keeping everyone safe and keeping to the rules, you're good...besides, you had a certified RO helping keep tabs on everything, so you were actually "in training."

49 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’ve run probably a thousand shooters at locals in the past decade without being a certified RO, and I’m certainly not alone.

I know you are sure not alone I started shooting ipsc back about 1980. Be honest I'm not even sure there was such a thing as a certified RO back then. But, we sure had a lot of fun everybody had a good time and it was very little complaining or crying about the RO. I really can't believe IPSC/ USPSA has become. Just saying.

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

Local match yes.  Not a problem but should probably be someone competent and comfortable.  RO classes in some areas don't come along often so having a lot of certified ROs can be a challenge for some clubs.

1 hour ago, Matt1911 said:

As long as you're paying attention to what's going on and can keep things safe, then there's no problem with it at a local level 1

Actually not even required at level II matches.

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Actually not even required at level II matches.

...but not necessarily a good idea at L2.  We've all run across too many of the untrained, uninformed, "let's use them because we don't have enough trained people", who can be pretty distracting.

OTOH, I'm certainly thankful for all those who give their time to make matches happen.  It's a dilemma, I guess.

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

...but not necessarily a good idea at L2.  We've all run across too many of the untrained, uninformed, "let's use them because we don't have enough trained people", who can be pretty distracting.

OTOH, I'm certainly thankful for all those who give their time to make matches happen.  It's a dilemma, I guess.

I am a stickler for requiring certification at my level II State match. I get offers to work every year from folks who are not certified willing to just hold the tablet etc. That is still an RO and savvy gamers will take advantage of things when they learn an uncertified guy just called them on a 180 or some other penalty. I have three certified staff on every stage without fail so they can rotate in and out of different jobs and leave no gaps.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I am a stickler for requiring certification at my level II State match. I get offers to work every year from folks who are not certified willing to just hold the tablet etc. That is still an RO and savvy gamers will take advantage of things when they learn an uncertified guy just called them on a 180 or some other penalty. I have three certified staff on every stage without fail so they can rotate in and out of different jobs and leave no gaps.

Indeed you do, Sarge.  You run a good match, and it'll be my pleasure to shoot at least of your L2s this year.

Never been a so or ro officially. Just read the rule book and watched other people who are certified who do it well.  I run people at every single match I attend that allows it. (I have shot a few clubs where if you're not certified they won't let you help.)

If you use the proper range commands and are concerned about safety you're good to go. Don't worry if a rules question pops up, plenty will give you an opinion and worse case they reshoot and you're at the range 5 more minutes. 

No problem, just understand that it's still your responsibility to know the rules and to use the correct range commands. There is no exemption for uncertified ROs to deviate from the rules or commands.

The "commands" part is usually the problem and it's a great disservice to the shooters when they are not correct. In our RO seminar we were warned against "three S-es" - shooter/slide/safe (no "shooter ready," no "slide, hammer, holster," no "range is safe.") It's especially important at the end, when a shooter can keep shooting after "if you're finished, unload and show clear," but not after "if clear, hammer down holster." Using incorrect commands makes it very tricky if someone notices a standing steel and fires at it after pulling out the magazine, just as he was about to show clear.