Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compression socks: just silly looking or do they help?

Sdlrodeo

Yes, you would have to design a study with identically looking and feeling socks with and without compression etc, but you'd first have to prove that they are beneficial at all to begin with.

Call my placebo statement an opinion based on prescribing compression socks and stockings for  over a decade of cardiovascular medicine practice. 

18 hours ago, YVK said:

It was a placebo effect. External compression, or venous compression socks, are used to help with venous insufficiency which manifests in leg swelling. For any given degree of venous dysfunction it will be more easily brought out in tall people, overweight people, people with some cardiac and pulmonary problems, or people who are on their feet and upright for extended periods of time. If your veins are working normally, you don't get any additional physiologic benefit. If your veins are not coping, your benefit would be less swelling. Some folks get pain with swelling so they may help with that too. That's about it. 

The only benefit that I could perceive wearing them was keeping my legs warmer, which may help with performance under some circumstances. 

Note that with the gravity it is normal for feet to be slightly swollen by the end of the day if you had been upright. Some quote 10% shoe size increase. The night-out shoes are best to be tried on before buying in the evening.

The negative side of those is that if you overdo the degree of compression and actually worsen the venous return from superficial veins. In medical practice we have different compression pressures available and we try to gestimate venous pressure in each patient and go just above that. 

(Also with all due respect as you sound like you know what you’re talking about)

make no mistake I definitely felt ‘something’. I really think it was the cooling effects of the wicking performance fabric of the socks And possibly the little bit of tightness the socks provide. Sort of like the first time you ever put on a snug fitting under armor shirt. The feeling was almost like a topical heat rub on my legs which felt energizing. There was definitely a physical sensation. I don’t know that it really helped anything in the same way that a topical cream doesn’t really do anything. 

Edited by Sdlrodeo

Yes, you would have to design a study with identically looking and feeling socks with and without compression etc, but you'd first have to prove that they are beneficial at all to begin with.

Call my placebo statement an opinion based on prescribing compression socks and stockings for  over a decade of cardiovascular medicine practice. 

I respect your medical experiences. I wouldn’t have any issue if you didn’t mention placebo effect. Again, by definition, placebo effects means there is a beneficial effect. I also don’t think you can use a pair of socks that offers no compression as a placebo as anyone who wears it can tell it’s not a real one.

Placebo effects, by definition, means there is a positive outcome from an intervention that doesn't have an active component designed to elicit such outcome. It doesn't  mean there is a physiologic beneficial effect. A classic example would be an anti-inflammatory pain med placebo when patients report improvement in pain but when objective markers of inflammation are checked, nothing is changed. 

Anyway, we've taken this thread on a tangent enough so I'll stop. Thanks for the discussion.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

compression socks would probably help if you have varicose veins in your legs. Using the leg muscles helps the blood circulate. If you wear comp socks you do not get as much stasis in the circulation in the leg and the blood should flow "better". The older you become the more stasis/edema you will probably have in your legs and the compression socks should help with the blood circulation. i.e.- the blood should not "pool" in your lower extremities. If you are athletic this would help prevent the blood from pooling in the lower extremeities and you may not need compression socks- but they may help in improving the circulation. 

Try a pair, and if they help or make you feel better, "they are working for you".

Edited by verla
additional infro

I wear tall compression/athletic socks. But the main reason I wear them is because they are tall, they keep me warmer on cold days and when I wear shorts my legs are less likely to get burnt, especially since I'm always in long pants for work and my legs are almost bleach white.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have buergers disease, as well as pheriferal artery disease, I noticed no improvement whatsoever. I tried several different socks with different pressures, all the same result.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

They help even while seated. I asked my dads cardiologist about wearing them while driving tractor (8-12 hrs a day) and he said it was a very good idea. He said they will help ward off varicose veins and edema later on with better circulation and pushing the water out. Also helps prevent blood clots even while flying. I also know my Under Armour compression long johns not only keep me warm and dry but make my legs feel much more energized while tromping up and down the mountains chasing elk. Remember the Sheer Energy pantyhose commercials? Similar results. 

Edited by Farmer

I have exercise induced anterior compartment syndrome (the outside of my calves swell with blood when I run or walk vigorously). Compression stockings have helped in the past, to a minor extent.

I wear them to assist with shin splints, and find them hugely helpful.  I wear ski socks for rucking and kit runs, and sometimes for winter events.  I have compression sleeves for summer when I'm expecting to move a lot, especially on hard surfaces.  YMMV.  I swear by the smartwool ski socks, but they make your feet sweat more and you need to take extra care of your feet.  YMMV

I wore a pair to a match this last weekend and stood all day.  When I got home my legs weren't hurting or swollen, so, all I can say is that for that match they worked for me.  I'll wear them again to the next match and see what happens.  Different strokes....

I wear them most of the time from the minute I get out of bed until I'm going back to bed. I've bought dozens of different brands and compressions and kept the best fitting ones in various weights that I can tailor for my activity. Skiing gets the thin, high compression ones so I get a nice tight boot fit for control versus some thicker, less compressive ones for everyday wear in Winter. 

I have RA and retain fluid in my legs, the socks help control it and allow me to be more active. I'm large, semi active, weekend warrior, and 60, perfect specimen 😜 Thankfully it calms down in Summer and I can wear short socks with athletic shoes but for most of the year I keep things tight. 

Anything tight with moderate compression is going to help your athletic performance. Track athletes wear entire compressive suits, lots of other sports as well. What do you think the NFL players are wearing under their jerseys? 

Edited by Frankly