Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTP Alpha3 optic experiences

vgdvc

Recently I had to switch to my backup gun that has an Alpha 2 (same size window as RTS-2) from my usual FTP Optics Alpha 3 I can’t believe how much harder it was to find and track the dot! You take it for granted but you usually find and track the dot in the upper portion of the glass and the FTP Alpha 3 glass size and shape make it so much easier!

alpha 2 vs 3.jpg

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

We just found out The Humble Marksman did a review on the Alpha 3. Check it out:

This review finally convinced me to get one. He never said which MOA he had or did I miss that?

2 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

He purchased a 6 MOA as he wanted to directly compare to the other dots he had reviewed. This was a completely unbiased review. He also paid for the optic.

WHAT MOUNT IS BEING USED ON OPEN GUNS

Here is the link to our open gun mount. It will if the FTP Optics, Sig Max and RTS2 with no modifications required.

http://fasttoys.net/shop/FTP-Optics-Alpha-2-3-RTS2-Sig-Max-Optics-Mount/

If you don't have a blast shield, you can also use any RTS-2 mount. If you want to keep the blast shield on your RTS-2 mount, you will have to clearance it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 2:45 PM, race1911 said:

the latest RTS2 version V5 now has the auto shut-off, and also motion sensor on/off (any reliability problems with the earlier versions seemed to be with ones before V4, I have not heard of alot of problems with the V4, we'll see how well the V5 with its enhanced capabilities stands up, I just bought 2 to go on my optic ready guns

how does the v5 compare to the v1 and v2?  I have a v1 (or2??) but in bright sunlight the dot just gets washed out.  is the v5 better?

6 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

how does the v5 compare to the v1 and v2?  I have a v1 (or2??) but in bright sunlight the dot just gets washed out.  is the v5 better?

The versions were to correct the shutting off issue and have nothing to do with brightness. The Alpha 3 will be brighter than the RTS2.

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

lets see if it can withstand open gun punishment

I shoot with several Open shooters that have been running them for quite some time now including FTP_Shooting_Sports. I own a pair of the original Alpha 2 Optics, one that has been on my CO gun for over 20k rounds and one on my open gun that has surpassed 20k rounds now, looking forward to upgrading to an Alpha 3 for the open gun when this shipment arrives!

7 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

sign me up. Ill take the dive and buy one. lets see if it can withstand open gun punishment

Great. You can order here:

http://fasttoys.net/shop/FTP-Optics-Alpha-3-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sight/

I personally like the 8 MOA as it is a little brighter than the 6 for shooting under the desert sun. We will have the 8 MOA's back in stock in 7-10 days. The 6 MOA's are in stock and ready to ship :)

5 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

I personally like the 8 MOA as it is a little brighter than the 6 for shooting under the desert sun. We will have the 8 MOA's back in stock in 7-10 days. The 6 MOA's are in stock and ready to ship :)

ill get an 8 moa when they are back in stock. could you update us when they are back in stock?

5 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

I'm not a fan of BIG dots, how would you comapre the 8mos vs the 6moa in size differential.. I'm looking into getting the 6moa but this statemt is making me consider otherwise. 

3 hours ago, Furrly said:

I'm not a fan of BIG dots, how would you comapre the 8mos vs the 6moa in size differential.. I'm looking into getting the 6moa but this statemt is making me consider otherwise. 

I think that if you are shooting a match on a sunny day, you would never even notice the differance between 6 and 8. If you had something like 8 and 3 you can see the difference, but I dont think 6 and 8 is enough of a differance to see anything major sticking out between the two 

4 hours ago, Furrly said:

The choice of 6 vs 8 MOA is a personal one. We sell about 40 % 6 MOA to 60 % 8 MOA. The higher level competitors often seem to chose the 6 MOA as they perceive an advantage in accuracy for long range difficult shots without losing effectiveness in the bright sun. This also stems from the sliderides many of them ran in 6 MOA so they are used to that dot size.

Personally, being a lonely Master class shooter, I like the 8 MOA as I feel I can easily make any shot I have ever seen in a match and the little extra dot brightness is appreciated in AZ where I often shoot under the desert sun.

You will not go wrong with either.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:11 PM, zhunter said:

IF ONLY it fit the X5 Legion without needing a mounting plate.  I am mounting plate averse

Looks like a great product

That would mean Sig didn't want you to use their ever changing optic portfolio for their guns.