Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp in Limited, ever seen it?

streckjc

Hey all,

Has anyone ever seen someone shooting 45acp in Limited? Not L10, actually full-on Limited.

I know most go 40sw for Limited major due to the larger capacity, but if you could get 16-18 rounds for a 1911/2011 pistol in 45acp is it even worth considering?

I currently shoot 9mm in Limited due to only having 9mm or 45acp pistols in my safe. I've never actually shot 40sw before. I don't reload (and don't plan to any time soon) and shoot Federal Syntech for matches.

I was thinking of taking the 45acp that I use for SS and shoot it for Limited major knowing I may have an additional reload possibility at local matches and for sure have one at a major match. I can run 16 round mags and base pads that would be +1 or +2 for 45acp, which isn't a ton less than my 20-21 round 9mm mag now or the 20-21 rounds for a 40sw mag (with proper base pads). Plus the PF between the 40sw & 45acp for Federal Syntech is the same at 175.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's even worth considering knowing I shoot minor now and don't really want to add another caliber to my safe.

For those of you who are laughing at this inquiry or think it's just dumb, please just pass on by. I think it's a legit question/inquiry and would like to know what the more experienced USPSA shooters think. I'm still new (only about 15 matches total over the past 2 years) and am looking for options to use stuff I have and not drop a ton to add another caliber and specialized pistol to the mix.

So am I just being dumb here or is this something that's possible? I'm not going to be a GM or win Nats, but I'm just trying to compete as best as I can without getting a second mortgage to pay for something I'm not good enough to utilize. Thanks.

Not a damn thing wrong with it if you have a .45 that you like. You can definitely get 17-18rds in the double stack mags. You give up some options on locations to reload, but often it doesn't really matter. Might also be a factor on steel-heavy stages if you miss a bunch, but otherwise it will work perfectly fine and its easier to score your targets too!

Its not worth considering.. 
Its not the 32 round stages that smoke you it will be all the 19 to 22 round stages,, 
stay in SS or L10, or get into production or CO,, if you want to go limited 40 is where its at.

I shot a Glock 35 for the first half of a season and then I shot a Glock 21 in 45-ACP for the remainder of the season.  I eventually moved to a CZ TSO and back to 40 S+W.  In the Glock I shot 230, 200 and 185 gr FMJ rounds.  I liked the 185 best since I felt the sights settled back quicker.

11 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Its not the 32 round stages that smoke you it will be all the 19 to 22 round stages,, 
stay in SS or L10, or get into production or CO,, if you want to go limited 40 is where its at.

In my local matches, I see very few 20-ish round stages. And, if you're a competent reloader (of magazines into gun) there's going to be a place where you take a couple steps and can stuff in a fresh mag to finish the stage when you happen to run into a stage where 2-4 extra rounds in mag could save a reload...

I used to shoot with a guy who ran an sti edge in .45 like a boss. I never noticed the 2 or so rounds he was short in the mag being a reason he got beat. If you like 45 and have a double stack to run it I don’t believe it would hold you back. Archer vs arrow and all that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, streckjc said:

Hey all,

Has anyone ever seen someone shooting 45acp in Limited? Not L10, actually full-on Limited.

I was thinking of taking the 45acp that I use for SS and shoot it for Limited major knowing I may have an additional reload possibility at local matches and for sure have one at a major match. I can run 16 round mags and base pads that would be +1 or +2 for 45acp, which isn't a ton less than my 20-21 round 9mm mag now or the 20-21 rounds for a 40sw mag (

1 How are you taking a SS gun and getting 16 rounds in it?

2 If you have a 45 that will hold 16+1, you will get burned on the  18-20 round stages.  I know people will tell you that you always have a spot to reload without issue, but that is simply not true.  I have shot many stages over the years where you are shooting 18-20 rounds nonstop and anyone who has to reload ends up being 1-1.5 seconds behind the guys who didn't.

3 That said, if you are shooting for fun, have a doublestack 45 laying around and only need a couple of base pads to shoot limited, i would take it over a 9 every time.

4 So, if you are doing it and spending basically no money, go for it.  However, if there is much investment at all, save a bit longer and get a 40

3 minutes ago, RJH said:

1 How are you taking a SS gun and getting 16 rounds in it?

2 If you have a 45 that will hold 16+1, you will get burned on the  18-20 round stages.  I know people will tell you that you always have a spot to reload without issue, but that is simply not true.  I have shot many stages over the years where you are shooting 18-20 rounds nonstop and anyone who has to reload ends up being 1-1.5 seconds behind the guys who didn't.

3 That said, if you are shooting for fun, have a doublestack 45 laying around and only need a couple of base pads to shoot limited, i would take it over a 9 every time.

4 So, if you are doing it and spending basically no money, go for it.  However, if there is much investment at all, save a bit longer and get a 40

1. I'm just talking about taking my 45acp ammo I use for SS. Not the actual gun itself. Although I could do that for L10 if I wanted to with longer mags.

2. I'm aware that there will be times when standing reloads or a "pause" in action may be required. I've had to do that as a newish shooter as it is. So right now I'm not so heavily worried about it.

3. I do it for fun mainly, but I do like to do well in my class and show well against those a class or two higher. I'll never compete with M/GM shooters at this point.

4. There would be virtually no out of pocket to do what I'm thinking about.

20 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

In my local matches, I see very few 20-ish round stages. And, if you're a competent reloader (of magazines into gun) there's going to be a place where you take a couple steps and can stuff in a fresh mag to finish the stage when you happen to run into a stage where 2-4 extra rounds in mag could save a reload...

humm that must be why there is such a diversity in calibers in Limited, no real clear advantage..
Ohh um wait.... 

17 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

I used to shoot with a guy who ran an sti edge in .45 like a boss. I never noticed the 2 or so rounds he was short in the mag being a reason he got beat. If you like 45 and have a double stack to run it I don’t believe it would hold you back. Archer vs arrow and all that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be interested in using a 2011 type pistol of an STI caliber, but I've never seen them have mags about about 12-13 rounds. I'd be interested to know how many rounds he was running and if 16+ where he got them. Good to know that if one runs the gun properly, it's not a big deal. I agree archer/arrow comment.

With a 1911 45 you can compete in Single Stack, major, L10 major, or Limited major or minor.  If you love 45, go for it.  A friend shoots a double stack 45 in Limited and has a ball.  Since you are shooting for fun, go with whatever floats your boat.  I'm getting tired of all the naysayers who say you cannot do this or that.  Do what you want.

1 minute ago, RJH said:

Archer/arrow comment apparently popular with people who don't understand archery 🙂

Amen to that.  Or, evidently, not ballistics.

Edited by zzt

9 minutes ago, zzt said:

With a 1911 45 you can compete in Single Stack, major, L10 major, or Limited major or minor.  If you love 45, go for it.  A friend shoots a double stack 45 in Limited and has a ball.  Since you are shooting for fun, go with whatever floats your boat.  I'm getting tired of all the naysayers who say you cannot do this or that.  Do what you want.

Thanks. It's on thing to think this but another to hear it from other shooters. I agree with it as well. I was mainly curious to hear what others thought and if they were things to consider that I didn't take into account.

I’ve seen a couple guys shooting 45 in Limited. One shoots a long slide Para and I don’t remember what the other guy shot, but neither one was winning matches; it wouldn’t have mattered what caliber they shot. 

If you already have a 45, I say go for it. If you’re going to buy a new gun, buy a 40. 

22 hours ago, HCH said:

If you already have a 45, I say go for it. If you’re going to buy a new gun, buy a 40. 

This begs a follow-up. I've never shot a 40sw before, only 45acp and 9mm.

I've heard that 40sw is actually snappier than a 45acp (more difficult to control accurately, especially quickly). Is that accurate?

I know many answers are "it depends on the gun," "it depends on the ammo," and "it depends on the shooter." But I'm asking in more general terms.

I would be shooting Federal Syntech ammo as I do for 9mm and 45acp. I noticed the PF for the Syntech 40sw & 45acp is the same - 170. Obviously the 40sw is lighter and higher velocity. But that doesn't mean it's harder to control, at least in my pea-brain.

So generically, is 40sw hard to control than a 45acp as I've heard?

On 11/11/2019 at 5:45 PM, Joe4d said:

? I reload on almost every 19-22 round stage. If there is more than a step or 2 of movement, a reload takes literally zero time (if you practice), and then you can shoot more aggressively instead of having to worry about round count.

I think the bigger disadvantage of 3-fewer rounds in 45 is you will have less flexibility over where to reload, so you may have to choose some stupid places to do so.

48 minutes ago, streckjc said:

I've heard that 40sw is actually snappier than a 45acp (more difficult to control accurately, especially quickly). Is that accurate?

I know many answers are "it depends on the gun," "it depends on the ammo," and "it depends on the shooter." But I'm asking in more general terms.

I would be shooting Federal Syntech ammo as I do for 9mm and 45acp. I noticed the PF for the Syntech 40sw & 45acp is the same - 170. Obviously the 40sw is lighter and higher velocity. But that doesn't mean it's harder to control, at least in my pea-brain.

snappy is not the same as more difficult to control accurately and quickly. Most good shooters prefer a snappier gun because the sights return more quickly. 

also, limited guns are noticeably heavier than singlestack guns. 40 in an STI edge or similar is imho slightly less recoil and easier to control than 45 in a 1911.

Once upon a time people did shoot double-stack 45's, and you still might see one every now and then.

55 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

snappy is not the same as more difficult to control accurately and quickly. Most good shooters prefer a snappier gun because the sights return more quickly. 

also, limited guns are noticeably heavier than singlestack guns. 40 in an STI edge or similar is imho slightly less recoil and easier to control than 45 in a 1911.

Once upon a time people did shoot double-stack 45's, and you still might see one every now and then.

I like the way my 40 skinny gun feels more then I like 45's. But that's probably just becasue I've shot a lot of 40 in limited guns and I'm used to the feel of it.

9 hours ago, streckjc said:

If there was anything to the “.40 is hard to control” argument, you’d see a lot more .45s in Limited. 

14 minutes ago, HCH said:

If there was anything to the “.40 is hard to control” argument, you’d see a lot more .45s in Limited. 

It's hard to control for small young girls...... oh, wait, my small young wife shoots 40 in limited and places in the upper third overall......  ;)

On 11/11/2019 at 6:22 PM, streckjc said:

I'd be interested in using a 2011 type pistol of an STI caliber, but I've never seen them have mags about about 12-13 rounds. I'd be interested to know how many rounds he was running and if 16+ where he got them. Good to know that if one runs the gun properly, it's not a big deal. I agree archer/arrow comment.

As a matter of fact I own an STI Edge in .45 and love it. I have used it in L10. 3 Gun, Steel, and Limited. Using MBX 140 mags I get 18+1 which would leave me with a reload on a few short stages, but for me personally that is not going to make or break a match. I felt no disadvantage shooting against the .40 crowd, and much prefer the recoil impulse of the .45.

Go ahead and shoot .45 in whatever division you like. Most of us will never win a big match, so I don't see any big deal. It is about fun too, not just competition. I don't shoot it anymore simply because my eyes have betrayed me, and I have moved to Carry Optics. With the long mags in L10 it was just a real blast to shoot.

I think another part is the cost to reload .45 vs. .40. I know you don't plan on reloading but many/most do.

.40 brass is plentiful, and the typical 180gr .40 is cheaper than a 230gr .45. Switch to 200 or 185 and it probably gets closer in price.

19 hours ago, streckjc said:

No.  172PF in my 40 Limited gun kicks less than 172 in my 1911, and the sights return quicker.  180gr in 40; 200gr in 45.