Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star

Ok, we have discussed how to shoot it. Now try this. Place a no-shoot target behind the star at twelve o'clock plate so that you either have to take your time aiming or choose another plate first. Start sitting with gun and mags on table with a no-shoot swinger directly in front of you that must be activated prior to hosing. :P:D . I designed this stage for next month's match. This month will be the first time for many to ever see the "Texas Star". We just got one. Hope they like it. TXAG :P

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stars have a habit of separating out the newer/less-skilled shooters rapidly. Be careful loading them up with too much extra hardness just because the experienced shooters are cleaning it.

You want to see painful, put a star at 20+ yards and let some new shooters have at it. Takes forever since they typically refuse to leave before that last plate is gone.

I do have several new shooters, but I many veteran shooters also. I try to keep it balanced, but I like a really challenging stage on occasion. I think this will be the toughest we have ever shot locally. I will be informing everyone in the newsletter that although the round count is only 77, bring 100+. I have seen 50 rounds fired at 3 or 4 paper and to Texas stars in one stage.

Sunday's Limited match had a star with two steel IPSC no-shoots, one at 5 o'clock and one at 9 o'clock. It totally discombobulated most people, even those who are experienced and know the (unobscured) pattern. Forum member TMC (B class?) won the stage over a half-dozen Masterblasters.

I shoot it has I see it, meaning, what ever plate is in the upper half and in my sights. I cleaned it today in practice @ 4.27 w/ no mikes. Not super fast but consistanly under 5sec. every time. I just never have a plan for it. Wing it. TXAG

• 1 month later...

I shot one on a stage not to long ago, did not see the time but it was a bunch of NS targets and poppers along with a couple normal ipsc targets. Well I had a hell of a run going. Probably would have been around 11 seconds, but on the last plate I just lost it. Fired 10 rds at it or so before it went. Total on the stage was 13 some seconds.

The range that hosts one of our local monthly matches just bought one, and we're using it tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

As others have said, work from the top down whenever possible.

I actually prefer it when it is set off-balance with two plates at the top and one pointing straight down at 6 o'clock, and a remote activator is used to start it spinning. It gets crazy!

• 1 month later...

There appears to be a Texas Star as part of the COF at the Long Island, Westhampton, NY Championship Match in about two weeks. Haven't actually seen one of these critters ever before. Have been told it has some unusual hit characteristics . . . wobbles, spins, etc. Anything special other than plates getting hit that I should be concerned with?

I guess it depends on if it's popper activated to spin, or starting stationary. If it's starting stationary, work from top down to minimize spinning. If it's a popper activated spinner, either trap 'em or track 'em. I'm not good enough to track 'em, so I trap 'em. In other words set up with the gun aimed at one spot and shoot the plates off as they spin by.

Joel

I have had to shoot TX stars in 3 or 4 shoots now, and everytime they have been a little different. Area 3 a month ago was BY FAR the worst.

As to how to shoot the damn thing, it will depend a lot on how it is set, weighted, and activated. The key thing to try and look at as what order to shoot the plates off to kepp the star as balanced as possible. Usually this mens you need to think like the Army....Left, Right, Left, Right. If you are good enough, and feast enough, I have seen some people just shoot right around the thing in one dirrection, but that is tough in my opinion. Just try to keep the star from getting to unbalanced, and rotating at high speed.

RO'ed Blake at the Texas Limited last weekend. I discovered that the proper way to shoot a MOVING Star is 1-5 (in that order) with five rounds only, splits between .30 and .40.

:blink:

Back to the practice range <_<

Alex

At the Tennessee tactical 3-gun we shot the Texas star at 25 yds out of the back seat of a car... gun was in the car to start but you were out. (shotgun)

Still not easy but am glad it was a shot gun and not a pisol :)

Hopalong

Hopalong, have just finished building a star for rifle. Its a bit on the heavy side due to having to take 308 hits but works great, have only shot it from 100 yd. off hand but plan to set it at 175 to 200 yd. for the match. Target plates are 4 1/2 in. wide and 11 in. long. May be a real ammo eater till they figure out how to shoot it. Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Looks like I will be getting a crack at shooting a Texas Star for the first time real soon. I understand to shoot the 12 o'clock first ( or 6 o'clock depending on the alignment), but don't know if there is another technique out there? Any suggestions (other than close your eyes and spray) would be appreciated. :cheers:

What works the best for me, which I think was mentioned by Matt Cheely somwhere on here. Shoot the top one first, and then go down the left side. They will be comming right to you. Did it for the first time Sunday, and it worked great. The biggest thing to remember is to never focus on the star, only your front sight.

Edited by waxman

Looks like I will be getting a crack at shooting a Texas Star for the first time real soon. I understand to shoot the 12 o'clock first ( or 6 o'clock depending on the alignment), but don't know if there is another technique out there? Any suggestions (other than close your eyes and spray) would be appreciated. :cheers:

Start with a full mag!

Start with a full mag!

Where's the fun in that? I was going to start with 5 rounds! :surprise:

What works the best for me, which I think was mentioned by Matt Cheely somewhere on here. Shoot the top one first, and then go down the left side. They will be coming right to you. Did it for the first time Sunday, and it worked great. The biggest thing to remember is to never focus on the star, only your front sight.

This is how I shoot them too although I prefer the right hand side for some reason. Also, do not shoot a plate that is at or anywhere near the 6 O'Clock position unless you want to see the star spin rapidly. Always start with the one closest to 12.

If it does start to spin (some are designed to do so on some stages by using weights) pick a spot where the target plate is transitioning from one spin direction to the other. It will be stationary for part of a second and can be hit relatively easily. The worst technique is to try to chase the moving plates.