Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know why sti is getting rid of their open guns?

nikdanja

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, a matt said:

I cracked my slide on a 7 year old (when I traded for it)  STI, it had been tri-topped with 3 popple holes plus it had been lightened in the rear with a racker cut. That gun had been shot so much STI replaced the slide and 2 Trubors to replace the shot-out originals..Now, It did take a good while to get the parts from STI and I even ask them not to fit anything. 
 I talked to Art and we decided to go ahead and get a frame from PT and a SS grip and have them (Axiom) to  just do a new build. I’m looking forward to see what Art comes up with. I guess that’s not all that bad for starting out with an old STI with a cracked slide & 2 shot-out barrels... 

Nice!

I doubt they completely abandon the competition market. The emerge of social media and youtube attracted many new shooters, among which many who emphasize on equipment much more than the gaining the needed skills. Result is a big market for fully customized guns with much higher price tags. So they needed a new name-brand for their product to  increase their price.

Saying that, I agree the previous dvc generation had the cracking issue for some time, and while the STI addressed that problem, the sticky bad reputation still has a negative impact on their sell. To a point that people forget they offer lifetime warranty, not a limited-time warranty like Dan-Wesson.

It is not bad to see a crack on STI, you will get a new gun for that crack.

In the end, I predict they will introduce their new guns at the shot-show 2020, with much higher price tags for their competition series.

2 hours ago, Sean_ht said:

I doubt they completely abandon the competition market. The emerge of social media and youtube attracted many new shooters, among which many who emphasize on equipment much more than the gaining the needed skills. Result is a big market for fully customized guns with much higher price tags. So they needed a new name-brand for their product to  increase their price.

Saying that, I agree the previous dvc generation had the cracking issue for some time, and while the STI addressed that problem, the sticky bad reputation still has a negative impact on their sell. To a point that people forget they offer lifetime warranty, not a limited-time warranty like Dan-Wesson.

It is not bad to see a crack on STI, you will get a new gun for that crack.

In the end, I predict they will introduce their new guns at the shot-show 2020, with much higher price tags for their competition series.

1.  They never fixed the problem.  2.  A crack is bad even if they replace the gun.  Especially if you have to wait months for the replacement.  3.  They put out crap products and it cost them a bundle due to warranty repairs and replacement.  4.  Instead of fixing the quality issues, they're shifting to the poser market because those people won't be nearly as demanding or use the stuff like we do.  So you can expect more high dollar John Wick safe queens and similar tacticool offerings.  Great marketing strategy.

Edited by ltdmstr

41 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

1.  They never fixed the problem.  2.  A crack is bad even if they replace the gun.  Especially if you have to wait months for the replacement.  3.  They put out crap products and it cost them a bundle due to warranty repairs and replacement.  4.  Instead of fixing the quality issues, they're shifting to the poser market because those people won't be nearly as demanding or use the stuff like we do.  So you can expect more high dollar John Wick safe queens and similar tacticool offerings.  Great marketing strategy.

Hey now, tiff tiff, I own more STIs right now than I ever have and they are all running perfectly as long as I put stronger/longer springs in the mags.  

7 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

It is amazing how many STI haters are there. There are so many that makes me thinking maybe the other companies are spreading these type of criticism to persuade people buy other brands of handguns.

1. Look at the cut on the slide on the old and new DVC-open or DVC-steel. Do they address the problem, yes. Does it make the gun 100% resistant to any issue over time, of course no. Guns are consumable products. Some parts will eventually fail, due to the constant pressure and stress. 

2. Of course it matters if you get a lifetime warranty, vs a limited time warranty.

People keep whining about how Czeckmate has a barrel issue, or how their slide-stop-lock cracks. Guess what, these are all consuming parts of the gun, and if that happens, the owner have to pay for the repair, because CZ has a 5 year warranty. The same story is true for Dan-Wesson. They offer 3 years.  AGAIN, guns are consuming products, if you use them, especially in harsh condition like the competition, you should expect a failure at some point. That is why a life-time warranty is important. 

3. Agree, they target a portion of market that they did not have a product for, to gain more profit. That is called business.

Edited by Sean_ht

Not hating on STI at all.....but here in CA, they are pretty hard to come by them. And if your frame cracks that is pretty much the end of your pistol because it can not be replaced with a new one due to the messed up gun laws here.

Unless STI was willing to make it with the same serial number.

So whatever the issue is that is leading to cracked slides and frames, for some folks, it could be a real bummer.

Heres to hoping they square it away.

Edited by BigBamBoo

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they can resolve the problem.  I have a friend that has had a couple of issues with his STI open gun and each time STI has replaced the slide or even the whole gun.  But it seems to possibly be a design  problem that is not being addressed.  I was always very happy with mine and I never had a problem with it.  I had only put a couple of thousand rounds through it.  It seems as though the real test is when you get up into the high volume of round count.  If anybody has had an issue with a low round count I would like to know. 

Good Luck to the STI owners out there.

• 4 months later...

I’m headed down to Sv infinity right now but have been browsing around looking at other open guns, and was shocked when I saw that STI didn’t make any of their old stuff.. hopefully the new staccato kind has better QC.