Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Discontinuing the DVC-L

bulldog009

14 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

STI had a video running at SHOT Show a couple years back showing their employees building the guns.  That's the impression I got watching the video.

Couldn't know what's going on in this company, but I saw this video too😉 i can only check sometimes their guns in the club .

sometimes the level of work is very low .  not like on old STI models. 

No problem getting them back in a  half year in  top place.😉

Edited by yigal

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to step back and look at the gun market outside of the competition  world, the competition world is very very small compared to other markets available to sti. Look at USPSA membership numbers, then look at active member numbers, then Open-Limited-SS participation  numbers which sti has guns for those Div., every time  the number of potential  customers goes down and down. The LEO/Mil-Tactical/Carry market is much larger than competition, their biggest problem they face in this new market is the potential customers aren't used to having to use a gunsmith regularly to keep a gun running like the competition market is used to. They will have to build to a higher quality and provide a far superior customer service than they have done in the past.

Rich

On 1/28/2020 at 1:56 PM, ltdmstr said:

STI had a video running at SHOT Show a couple years back showing their employees building the guns.  That's the impression I got watching the video.

Anybody got a link to that video?  If it was ever posted to the interwebs, it's gotta be somewhere.

Nolan

11 hours ago, RIIID said:

One has to step back and look at the gun market outside of the competition  world, the competition world is very very small compared to other markets available to sti. Look at USPSA membership numbers, then look at active member numbers, then Open-Limited-SS participation  numbers which sti has guns for those Div., every time  the number of potential  customers goes down and down. The LEO/Mil-Tactical/Carry market is much larger than competition, their biggest problem they face in this new market is the potential customers aren't used to having to use a gunsmith regularly to keep a gun running like the competition market is used to. They will have to build to a higher quality and provide a far superior customer service than they have done in the past.

Rich

Maybe, maybe not.  That market shoots only a small fraction of rounds compared to the competition market, and most of them don't reload.  

Nolan

If fed or LEO customers encounter the same issues that competition shooters do, word will get out real quick.  It's one thing if guns break or just plain don't work when you're shooting at paper targets.  Obviously a whole different level when lives are on the line.  Given STI's track record in recent years, I'd seriously question the judgment of any agency that decides to issue or authorize STI products for duty use.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

If fed or LEO customers encounter the same issues that competition shooters do, word will get out real quick.  It's one thing if guns break or just plain don't work when you're shooting at paper targets.  Obviously a whole different level when lives are on the line.  Given STI's track record in recent years, I'd seriously question the judgment of any agency that decides to issue or authorize STI products for duty use.

I'm not a rookie shooter and certainly not a rookie cop.  I've been shooting competitively since 2008 and a cop since 1992.  I've had several different STI pistols since 2008 and the 3 that I currently own are simply better pistols.  They have dialed in the mag body, follower and slide stop relationship or so it seems.  I love the new pistols.  And just to make sure my experience wasn't a fluke, I called the US Marshals and asked about their STI experience.  They are extremely happy with the performance of their pistols.  The test goes on.....

I have been really impressed with STI recently. The guns they ARE making are very high quality and are fit very well. I really really like my Staccato P Duo. Extremely accurate and shoots very soft. Would be a great duty gun if it wasn't so heavy. I wish they would make a Staccato P 4.5 with an aluminum frame. I'd buy that like crazy. I might get that C2.

But it really is too bad they have abandoned the USPSA crowd. I'm guessing they finally figured the lifetime warranty wasn't sustainable for groups putting in 100K rounds on the guns. 

There is a Glock cult out there.  Gun enthusiasts like it because of price, reliability, accessibility , replacement of parts that can improve the gun overall, etc.

Glocks pistols run and run with minimum maintenance..my point is, STI has a tough road ahead.  

I have 3 STI guns, one open and 2 limited.Mine run with out any malfunction, accurate just great to shoot. As for as warranty I had one issue with the open gun when I first got it . Sent it back and they sent brand new gun the same week.