Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Discontinuing the DVC-L

bulldog009

73012034_522237461686520_177715014014704

Excerpt from Brazos Custom Gunwork's Facebook post about it - 

"DVC L Discontinued by STI

STI is discontinuing the DVC L and no direct replacement has been announced. It will soon join the STI Edge as a no longer available but great option for USPSA Limited Division competition. We have only one DVC L left -- 9mm in black with gold. As Dave Skinner (long-time former owner of STI and lifetime USPSA member) would have said, 'when they're gone they're gone...'"

It will be interesting to see if there is a new Staccato that will be released to fill this void in their lineup. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

They just got some sizable LE and government contracts, so it wouldn't surprise me if they focused more on that.   I'm hoping they will keep a decent entry level competition pistol in the arsenal.  

Yeah, it really seems that way, moving towards a defensive/tactical focus over the shooting sports. Which, may be good for the market, if there are more 2011 platforms in the market, it may bring prices down. I think as long as they keep 1 "limited" 2011 pistol in their lineup alongside their open gun options, they will still have a good share of the competition market. I know there are other manufactures and builders you can get a 2011 platform from these days, but it is nice to be able to go to a good gun shop and pick up an STI 2011 off the shelf and go shoot a match. Here's to hoping the rumored Staccato L is coming soon. 

On 10/22/2019 at 7:49 PM, Gomar83 said:

Wow! I wonder what direction they are trying to take the company. I wonder how many different models STI has discontinued in the last 5 yrs?

you'll run out of numbers that you've heard of counting that up.

If that Dan Wesson works, you are going to see a lot of 2011 builders "discontinuing models."

Edited by tha1000

On 10/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, Gomar83 said:

Wow! I wonder what direction they are trying to take the company. I wonder how many different models STI has discontinued in the last 5 yrs?

They are all about the LEO gig. Thats all their new staff and clear direction. Realizing they can make departments pay for SWAT bros to carry 2011s was more profitable then competition shooters asking for the highest quality, cheapest gun ever made. 

I do find it interesting they are sponsoring the SS Nationals. Wondering if they will debut a new gun there? if not Shot Show is right around the corner. 

I just called STI and asked about it. The guy on the phone confirmed that DVC-L was discontinued. He did not have any update regarding DVC-O. He also told me that they were not planning to replace it with any other Limited gun. So it looks like STI is out of the competition world. I am guessing no more 40SW STI magazines either at some point in the future.    

I think with all the current builders out there the shooting world is better off anyway.  I watched most the guys that purchased a new STI (specifically the DVC) had to go clear through it and fix all the things STI should have done from the beginning.  With companies like CK, Atlas, Limcat, ect... offering quality guns with most of the bugs already fixed and better customer service people should have nothing to fear.  Kind of an end of an era though.

STI will be maintaining a competition presence as confirmed by an employee and good guy.  From what he could say the DVC line will disappear entirely and some remaining pistols will be rolled into the Staccato line.  Also that there will be a single 5.4" pistol coming that will "replace" the Edge/DVC-L, etc as the off the shelf competition option.  

Details received regarding DVC discontinuance:

"As 2019 begins to wind down, we are excited to share with you a preview of where our product line is headed for 2020.  As always, every year we work to improve our product line.  We listen to market feedback from you, from end customers, and from numerous law enforcement agencies actively testing and fielding our products.  We also analyze sales data and conduct market research. Based on all that information, for 2020 we have designed, refined and thoroughly tested both planned revisions to existing products, as well as new product introductions, and the results are incredibly exciting===  To start with, for 2020, we will transition all products under the Staccato brand which has been very popular and well-received by consumers.  Existing DVC line products will be discontinued, or revised and transitioned into the Staccato line. Specifically,  the DVC O, DVC S, and DVC-C will not be produced in 2020, The DVC L and DVC 3 will both be replaced in 2020 with a single new 5.4” Staccato model designed to fill these market segments.  The DVC P will be updated and transitioned to the Staccato line.  In the meantime, we recognize that market demand continues for our 2019 product line and we will, of course, fill your existing orders for these products and get them shipped to you ASAP.

Comprehensive details of 2020 products will be shared first with you, our retail partners in the coming weeks, and shortly thereafter we will begin accepting orders."

4 hours ago, Kema said:

It has always been good for business when manufacturer makes constant and confusing changes to whole productline. 

They're something like 14-17 weeks behind on production orders.  I think they will do fine.  They are adding staff and production capability.  Paring down the product line makes sense to concentrate on your core business.

2 hours ago, MPrimo said:

I love me DVC 3G ... My dealer asked them to make me one in 40 and they said no.  Wondering what the 5.4" Staccato will look like and if it will be available in 40.  I tend to doubt it.  Too bad.

Buck from STI has posted several photos of the prototype on his Instagram over the last few months. This is it next to a DVC-P

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzk1VW6Aelt/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

5.4.PNG

That isn't the replacement for the DVC.  The pistol on the left is the Staccato P5, which was requested and is being used by LAPD.  The DVC-P on the right is as currently manufactured.  The new 5.4" Staccato pistol has not made an appearance yet.  Spoke with Buck about this today.

On 10/29/2019 at 6:14 PM, paherne said:

They're something like 14-17 weeks behind on production orders.  I think they will do fine.  They are adding staff and production capability.  Paring down the product line makes sense to concentrate on your core business.

12 months ago, their “core business” was the DVC line. Their focus changes like underwear. 

From my point of view, discontinuing the DVC line is a good idea because it never made sense in the first place.  While everyone gets lemons in every product line now and then, assuming that isn't an issue, the pricing was a big problem to me.  In the non-optic line of things, you could either get a DVC Limited/3gun for $3K, or you could pay $2700 for a semi-custom CK Arms(or similar).  For $3.2K, you could get that CK with a steel or aluminum grip.  I don't see how it was even a choice unless you were picking up something used for a steep discount...

For a nice factory pistol to shoot USPSA/3gun with, they need to get back to their old price points.  Honestly, with the DWX coming out, I think they'd be well served if they could even get it a bit lower than the $2K it used to be.  Based on MSRP, the DWX should end up around $1.6K or a bit less...

I went to their local Dallas "STI Day" at a range.  One rep even mentioned a "Glock 19 killer".  I kinda had to laugh, as much as I dislike glocks, the $1500 price difference between whatever Staccato they came out with buys a lot of practice ammo/reloading equipment/beer. It did seem like the focus has shifted to the staccato line.    I am not sure if that is good or bad.  There doesn't seem to be a decent starting pistol out there in wide-body 1911 style.  My used edge, was perfect--got me into Limited at under 2k, but now it seems they have ceeded that territory.  I know the CZ-TSO is a very attractive alternative, but its not a 1911/2011.

I just don't get the widebody 1911 world.  I may have to become an Armscor snob with my stupid 45 rig.  Yeah its dumb and its 45, but it works for local "outlaw" matches and I'm in no danger of winning anything.