Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Discontinuing the DVC-L

bulldog009

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STI has produced single stack grip modules in the past and these guns were not deemed legal for single stack division in USPSA. I guess it depends how you define "basis in the original 1911". Maybe they have something cooking with USPSA. 

" Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal.

They had the "Stacatto R" (the R may change) Single Stacks at Single Stack Nats in a demo bay.  Seemed ok although those (the first 6 made) needed some minor tweaks to be USPSA Single-Stack legal.

On the frame they said they talked with USPSA and they were ok with the 'frame' being metal and the rest of the grip being grip.  I vagely remember a BOD minutes that says they talked about it, but haven't gone back to look.

5 hours ago, shred said:

They had the "Stacatto R" (the R may change) Single Stacks at Single Stack Nats in a demo bay.  Seemed ok although those (the first 6 made) needed some minor tweaks to be USPSA Single-Stack legal.

On the frame they said they talked with USPSA and they were ok with the 'frame' being metal and the rest of the grip being grip.  I vagely remember a BOD minutes that says they talked about it, but haven't gone back to look.

I would not be surprised if STI could tell USPSA what should be legal in SS, especially if they are sponsoring SS nationals now. I guess once people start making aftermarket steel grips to replace STI's plastic grips we'll have come full circle anyway...

41 minutes ago, Tcotter2629 said:

Seems like STI is kicking the door wide open for BUL to come in and take the entry level competitive gun market 😂 

At least the buyers will get a gun, which works out of the box and of much better quality and service.😉

1 hour ago, Tcotter2629 said:

Seems like STI is kicking the door wide open for BUL to come in and take the entry level competitive gun market 😂 

The Bul armory 1911 with all the bells and whistles is the same price as the 33oz Stacco R (1800ish vs the STI rep at SS nats saying 1800ish once they confirm pricing) 

The STI rep did say their 2011 is SS legal. So by that logic and the gas pedals on sig 320s, might as well try and sneak a real 2011 into SS nats next year

It would be my opinion that they will get murdered in the competition world by Bul, if they truly go head to head. But STI doesnt do competition anymore, they want the LEO business. So they will make some offshoot gun to try and appease what made them famous and focus on LEO sales with everything else.

I REALLY wanted to like the STI gun, but either i'm to much of a 1911 purist (read: FUDD, BOOMER etc) or just salty. The 2011 grip on the 1911 is a no go, and then you have a lot of reciprocating mass up top.  

Edited by Dutchman195

Maybe STI stepping back from the Competition side is a good thing? If they can't keep pace with the other competition gun manufactures, for whatever reasons, then they are actually doing us all a favor by not wasting our time and money.

STI's loss of market share in the competition world is a very good example of what happens when a company rides the coat tails of their patents way too long and fails to proactively innovate which lets their competition beat them at their own game.

The company has been run by idiots for a long time, starting with Skinner and Kimble 20+ years ago.  The innovation was gone when Sandy, then Virgil, left the company.  And from there, it was just a long, slow, and steady decline.  Firearms are pretty simple from a manufacturing standpoint.  Anyone with decent brain function and basic business skills should have been able to run that company and realize a healthy profit doing so.  But the people in charge were/are utterly clueless.

Seems like STI is kicking the door wide open for BUL to come in and take the entry level competitive gun market [emoji23] 
Seems that way. The SAS II Standard Limited looks like an incredibly well built gun, and for 2100 with 3 magazines, how do you beat that?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

On 10/23/2019 at 1:06 AM, Robertwil18 said:

They just got some sizable LE and government contracts, so it wouldn't surprise me if they focused more on that.   I'm hoping they will keep a decent entry level competition pistol in the arsenal.  

It will be interesting to see what these LE and government contracts turn out to be.  I am no fan of the polymer pieces most LE departments carry now, but good luck trying convincing the county or city council in most places that it makes sense to spend 3x-6x what is spent now, on anything LE equipment related. 

On 10/23/2019 at 1:06 AM, Robertwil18 said:

They just got some sizable LE and government contracts, so it wouldn't surprise me if they focused more on that.   I'm hoping they will keep a decent entry level competition pistol in the arsenal.  

It will be interesting to see what these LE and government contracts turn out to be.  I am no fan of the polymer pieces most LE departments carry now, but good luck trying convincing the county or city council in most places that it makes sense to spend 3x-6x what is spent now, on anything LE equipment related. 

9 hours ago, Bruce said:

Most of them are simply individual officer purchases. 

The big CA agencies they are touting that have them approved are optional. It’s simply another gun on the list that officers can use if they buy it themselves. 

I highly doubt agencies are issuing them to EVERY person in the department. US Marshall SOG is a tiny group and is the only one I’m aware of that is actually adopting it. 

• 1 month later...

There are some changes going on on STI . I believe they are trying to “ rebrand” the company to appeal to a different market. Having said that,  I rather wait to see the direction sti is going and the market response. 
STI pistols are coming and going and the price ..well you know.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:52 AM, jschweg said:

Seems that way. The SAS II Standard Limited looks like an incredibly well built gun, and for 2100 with 3 magazines, how do you beat that?

That's a hell of a lot of gun for $2100. 

On 11/21/2019 at 9:47 PM, ltdmstr said:

The company has been run by idiots for a long time, starting with Skinner and Kimble 20+ years ago.  The innovation was gone when Sandy, then Virgil, left the company.  And from there, it was just a long, slow, and steady decline.  Firearms are pretty simple from a manufacturing standpoint.  Anyone with decent brain function and basic business skills should have been able to run that company and realize a healthy profit doing so.  But the people in charge were/are utterly clueless.

That is common on some companies in today's world...sad. 

2 hours ago, yigal said:

i hope u wrong.

i know few companies that ALL workers has 150 IQ. 

together.😀

STI had a video running at SHOT Show a couple years back showing their employees building the guns.  That's the impression I got watching the video.