Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sro vs Romeo 3 max

jeremy kemlo

I have been running both on Open gun frame mounts.  I think the Max is a bit better as an Open sight and will probably move the SRO to a CO gun where it seems more at home if I get another Max.  Either are very good sights, assuming they hold up.

The Max adjustments are with a 1.5mm hex key (included, also used for the battery door).  There's no locking screws to mess with, just put the wrench in and turn it click by click.

I prefer wide-slot adjustment (use the rim from some brass or whatever's handy) like the SRO has because you can tag a mark on it to make sure it hasn't moved, but hauling around a 1.5mm hex key is not a gigantic burden.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 8:37 PM, shred said:

I have been running both on Open gun frame mounts.  I think the Max is a bit better as an Open sight and will probably move the SRO to a CO gun where it seems more at home if I get another Max.  Either are very good sights, assuming they hold up.

I am interested to hear why you like it better.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:37 PM, shred said:

Do you get any magnification with the sig?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 5:36 PM, AWLAZS said:

I am interested to hear why you like it better.

There is less of the 'fishbowl' distortion at the edge of the lens and the dot is a bit crisper and cleaner on the Max I have versus the 5 min SRO I have.  It's slightly easier to clean the lens which needs doing more often in Open.  There is less 'frame' around the lens.  That could be a negative on a CO gun where the dot takes more abuse, but is fine on an Open rig.  The SRO feels much beefier which is why I like it for CO.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:10 AM, Benji said:

Do you get any magnification with the sig?

There is no magnification.  If you mean target distortion at the edge of the lens, very little.  Less than the SRO.

For a small longevity update, I shot the IPSC European Championship match with a Max and it did fine, including bumpy travel to Serbia and back.  I saw more than a few SROs there on slide mount Prod Optics guns and no reports of issues either.

Here is the FTP Optics Alpha 3 as another option for you. The glass side is very similar to the SRO with features like the Max. It is available in 6 or 8 MOA. It has the special lens coating like the Max to give clear glass, more light transmission and less glare. We also have the motion sensor but set up in a more favorable way for competition shooters than the Max. Our sensor will turn the dot off after 3 minutes of no motion and then right back on at last intensity as soon as motion is recognized.

If anyone is at US Nats this weekend, you ca welcome to come and check it out on my Open gun.

ftp_optic_alpha_3_ongun_through_glass.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 4:04 PM, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Here is the FTP Optics Alpha 3 as another option for you. The glass side is very similar to the SRO with features like the Max. It is available in 6 or 8 MOA. It has the special lens coating like the Max to give clear glass, more light transmission and less glare. We also have the motion sensor but set up in a more favorable way for competition shooters than the Max. Our sensor will turn the dot off after 3 minutes of no motion and then right back on at last intensity as soon as motion is recognized.

If anyone is at US Nats this weekend, you ca welcome to come and check it out on my Open gun.

ftp_optic_alpha_3_ongun_through_glass.jpg

There’s a vendor area in the forum. This isn’t it. 

4 hours ago, MrDanCheck said:

I have a friend who was shooting an SRO at Nationals a couple of weeks back and had this happen to him..

The angle of the sun became an issueb61cc39007c00f119c1c6a9d7d97c7f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ive seen this a couple times. I think it has to do with how thick the SRO glass is. The sun and your angle to the sun has to be just right. And it was never an issue when the gun was actually indexed right on target, only when holding the gun at the funny angles.