Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mall Ninjas

Crusher

For some reason (maybe I'm noticing more or maybe it's a sign of the times) there seems to be an influx of the newer shooters (to action pistol) that seem to have the "mall ninja" syndrome. Granted I noticed this in IDPA more so than USPSA matches but now it seems USPSA (level I matches/club) are seeeing an influx of this type of shooter.

I hate having burned through a stage (or match for that matter) and having the new guy/gal (even some experienced competitors) come up to me and say....... "Nice run/match...........BUT....... doing that in the REAL WORLD will get you killed"

WTF? I HATE having to bite my tounge and NOT slap em' in the head with the rule book till they are comatose. My typical response is "thanks" and I leave it at that now and walk away.

"REAL WORLD"? I play a game to test my personal best and identify personal weaknesses for future improvement within the rules of the specific game.

Some like to add addional commentary that my gear (USPSA) is not practical (for the "REAL WORLD") or in IDPA, my ESP division gun is a "gamer" gun (the current IDPA gun was built to just fit in the box magwell and all), but I play to push/test myself.

I fully realize that the action shooting sports attract many diffrent types of personalities for a miriad of reasons, and my only (logical) explaination of this type of behavior is that these "mall ninja" types need a justification (and feel the need to voice it) as to their own dismal personal performance within the GAME.

Maybe I'll rig up am MP-3 player and pipe it into a set of ear muffs and just continue to smile and say "thanks" of course I could allways just get to "rule book slapping too" :wacko:

Edited by Crusher

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything has a begining. I started out shooting PP about a million years ago because it was the ultamate plinking range. As time rolled by and without noticing I became interested in competition. Today I've been an RO for some 10 years and am PPMD for our club.

Plinkers and back yard ninjas are just 2 reasons to start shooting PP. Bottom line is that once you shoot that first COF, WE GOTCHA!!!

Bottom line is that once you shoot that first COF, WE GOTCHA!!!

A more true statement has never been written!

Bottom line is, this is a game. The object, like most other games, is to score as many points as possible--not by getting balls in a pocket or through a hoop, but by putting holes in paper or knocking down steel. In the real world, most of us don't run around with big compensators or optical sights on our guns. It's a game, but we take it seriously.

Crusher, I ran into similar situation when in College. I had joined the varsity fencing team and it seemed there were two types of fencers. The first type of fencer saw it as a collegiate sport. The second type of fencer was playing out their D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) fantasies.

mcb

Some like to add addional commentary that my gear (USPSA) is not practical (for the "REAL WORLD") or in IDPA, my ESP division gun is a "gamer" gun (the current IDPA gun was built to just fit in the box magwell and all), but I play to push/test myself.

I had an asshat call me a cheater at the last IPSC match I shot (the ALSPPC L-10 Challenge). I just looked at it. It then said, "Yeah, you're shootin' in that cheater rig". I responded "This rig is perfectly legal within the rules". It shot back "Don't the rules require that you shoot out of a real holster like mine" - it points to the kydex holster on it's hip. I quipped "L-10 is Limited w/ ten rounds in teh gun." "BUt..." "There's a new Single Stack Division that will require tactical leather and 8 round mags, but that doesn't start up until Jan '06 - but I'm shooting L-10, so...." "But..."

I then successfully demonstrated discipline, self control, and better thinking by turning and walking away before I did something, well..... messy.

Crusher, I am SO in the boat with you on this. It was this sort of crap that kept me from shooting IDPA in the first place (while it may have changed over time - and I hope it has - my initial exposures were less than positive).

IT'S A F*****G GAME, A******S!!!!

Gah....

Edited by XRe

This weekend at a match there was a stage where you started facing uprange, then turn and draw. Most people seemed to rotate around their strongside leg (ie right for a right hander). One unnamed shooter said he was going to rotate around his weakside leg, then proceeded to tell the crowd that it's a better way to do it, the silence was deafening, he then said it's because the last thing your attacker should see is your gun. I was thinking to myself, maybe so but these paper targets haven't shot back at any other shooters, doubt they will at you. Very strange.

I shot an IPSC/USPSA match recently where one of the new competitors was going through every COF putting three shots on every target (two in the lower A, one in the upper A if you know what I mean). To his credit, he was a good enough shot to actually do it, but his times were hella slow. He would finish each stage with this look of pride and explain to the rest of us that "that was how it should be done" while praising all of the "real world" training he was getting by doing it that way. I guess I'll just never understand that mindset in a grown man.

John

We had a tacti-ninja guy at the last *STEEL CHALLENGE* match I was at try to tell everyone that a Glock was far better than a 1911, cause a Glock never jammed regardless of what you feed it. Which was kind of funny, cause he had several jams throughout the match.....

This weekend at a match there was a stage where you started facing uprange, then turn and draw.  Most people seemed to rotate around their strongside leg (ie right for a right hander).  One unnamed shooter said he was going to rotate around his weakside leg, then proceeded to tell the crowd that it's a better way to do it, the silence was deafening, he then said it's because the last thing your attacker should see is your gun.  I was thinking to myself, maybe so but these paper targets haven't shot back at any other shooters, doubt they will at you.  Very strange.

I admit that has been a hard habit for me to break, but I don't tell people it "a better way to do it". Most don't even seem to notice or care. On the rare occasion someone asks I just say it's how I was taught.

If I can ever learn to pivot inside instead of outside, I might make it to A class! :)

We had a tacti-ninja guy at the last *STEEL CHALLENGE* match I was at try to tell everyone that a Glock was far better than a 1911, cause a Glock never jammed regardless of what you feed it. Which was kind of funny, cause he had several jams throughout the match.....

Not that I have a whole hell of a lot of experience but a Glock is the only gun I have ever seen literally fall appart on a stage. My buddie lost his take down stop "thingy" (Sorry I am not a glock guy). At the unload and show clear the slide went right off the front of the gun. :lol: Luckily it was the last stage of the match! :)

Anyway we were watching the video and saw it fall out during one of his reloads! 1911's may have problems if they are not set up right but they are all just mechanical devices. Don't clean them or abuse and they will jam, break, and let you down. :o

We still don't know why this would have fallen out when he had the gun tilted to the side for the mag insert? I believe the gun was at battery with a round in it? But it could have been at lock back, I don't recall at the moment.

Ira

At our local rifle/shotgun match we had a guy who didn't stand in the box behind a barricade while shooting his shotgun. When the RO pointed out the penalties he replied "I won't go against my training." The RO just stared at him for a second and said "You do know this is a game right?" :D I was too busy laughing to pay attention to the rest of the exchange.

-ld

Not that I have a whole hell of a lot of experience but a Glock is the only gun I have ever seen literally fall appart on a stage.  My buddie lost his take down stop "thingy" (Sorry I am not a glock guy).  At the unload and show clear the slide went right off the front of the gun.  :lol:  Luckily it was the last stage of the match!  :)

Anyway we were watching the video and saw it fall out during one of his reloads!  We still don't know why this would have fallen out when he had the gun tilted to the side for the mag insert?  I believe the gun was at battery with a round in it?  But it could have been at lock back, I don't recall at the moment.

Ira

[Thread Drift]I'd guess that the Slide lock spring broke, allowing the slide lock to exit the gun. (The slide lock is the thing in the front that holds the slide in place; the slide stop lever is the thing that locks the action open when empty...) [/thread drift]

This is the excuse--emphasis on the word "excuse"--that many cops use to avoid coming out and getting their a$$es handed to them by a bunch of civilians.

hehehe....... I ocassionaly informing them, (the ones that DO NOT KNOW), they too are civilians, boy should you see their jaws drop, that's allways good for a few chuckles.

"I won't go against my training." 

This is the excuse--emphasis on the word "excuse"--that many cops use to avoid coming out and getting their a$$es handed to them by a bunch of civilians.

Yeah, if they "went againt their training" they'd find themselves as helpless in a gunfight as Phil Strader :)

Slight thread drift;

I heard a story a long time ago, not sure if it's true or not, perhaps someone here will know...

The story goes that TGO was in a gun shop, checking out some guns and some kid tells him his stance is all wrong and proceeds to demonstrate how he should be standing...

I want to know two things:

1) Is it true ?

2) Did TGO smack him ?

:lol:

Edited by BritinUSA

This is one of my favorite subjects. Had a local guy debating that IPSC was a bad habit. His training from big name tactical types was 1 round in each threat, tactical order of course, then reengage targets that are still a threat.

I said but I can put 2 in each target in 1/3 of your time. I still remember his puzzled look. :o