Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther Q5 Match steel frame or Sig 320 Legion?

1 hour ago, uhmeebuh said:

Which grips did you go with?  The thin appears to change the angle but that might not be the case...

We have 2 SFs, one has the Lok thin checkered, one with Lok thin bogie. I think we both agree the bogie is better. Angle is the same, just better gripping texture. I did NOT like the SF without the grip change, the OE grip just made my knuckle rub the point on the beaver tail and felt weird.

4 minutes ago, ABQautoxer said:

We have 2 SFs, one has the Lok thin checkered, one with Lok thin bogie. I think we both agree the bogie is better. Angle is the same, just better gripping texture. I did NOT like the SF without the grip change, the OE grip just made my knuckle rub the point on the beaver tail and felt weird.

Thanks a ton for the reply - I have the same knuckle issue to a lesser extent but I’m tired of adjusting my grip.  

Off to go buy some LOK grips 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 4:13 PM, uhmeebuh said:

Thanks a ton for the reply - I have the same knuckle issue to a lesser extent but I’m tired of adjusting my grip.  

Off to go buy some LOK grips 🙂

So...I didn't like the thin LOK grips.  Without the palm swell hump, it points down like a vertec 92 but it does let my thumb knuckle clear the beavertail a bit better.  They definitely have more grip than the stock ones so a big thumbs up for that!  

Will replace them with the same checkered ones with the palm swell.  

28 minutes ago, ABQautoxer said:

Good to know, I didnt like the palm swells in my S2 because of the DA reach so we played it safe on our Walthers with the thins. Hopefully that's your goldiloks solutions.

It's so personal you really just have to try it out...as is the case with all firearms and fitment.

And 😁 for goldi-LOK-s!

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Th Q5 SF's grip is way too small for a competition gun, IMO. Side by side with a CZ P10C, a compact gun, the CZ P10C had the more comfortable grip. I'd avoid it unless you have very small hands.

I thought it was small too at first but have grown to like it. It’s kinda like a G19 sized grip. I don’t have small hands. 

In most cases, it’s just a matter of opinion.  If you have an extremely large hand, then maybe the size of the grip is an issue. For most people I think it’s what you get used to. 

39 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I thought it was small too at first but have grown to like it. It’s kinda like a G19 sized grip. I don’t have small hands. 

In most cases, it’s just a matter of opinion.  If you have an extremely large hand, then maybe the size of the grip is an issue. For most people I think it’s what you get used to. 

You're right. It is personal preference, but why would you want a G19-ish sized grip on a steel frame competition gun though? especially after they went through the trouble of making a steel grip to make the gun heavier + being up against guys with CZ Shadow 2s & Sig P320 X5 Legions? It's not like it's a real carry gun. It doesn't make sense to go with a grip that short, IMO. It just seems lazy.

I have big hands, but not huge. (I'm 5'10, not super tall). The Shadow 2 feels great. The P10C feels comfortable (whereas a lot of compacts don't for me). The P10F is bigger, of course, but the P10C feels big enough to get a good grip. The Q5 SF just left me feeling... "Why?!"

Edited by avastcosmicarena

6 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

You're right. It is personal preference, but why would you want a G19-ish sized grip on a steel frame competition gun though? especially after they went through the trouble of making a steel grip to make the gun heavier + being up against guys with CZ Shadow 2s & Sig P320 X5 Legions? It's not like it's a real carry gun. It doesn't make sense to go with a grip that short, IMO. It just seems lazy.

I have big hands, but not huge. (I'm 5'10, not super tall). The Shadow 2 feels great. The P10C feels comfortable (whereas a lot of compacts don't for me). The P10F is bigger, of course, but the P10C feels big enough to get a good grip. The Q5 SF just left me feeling... "Why?!"

I’ve  asked the same questions. I don’t know why. 

I can say that I shoot the SF just as well as anything else and I like the feel of the grip after getting used to it. So, I don’t think worry about it. 

The SF is the size it is because its based on a PPQ platform, slide and 15 round magazine bodies.   If the grip was longer they would need to at least design different magazines and maybe a different non-PPQ based slide.  Lazy, perhaps, but the magazine choice Walther made for the non PRO model is what is limiting the grip dimensions.

FWIW, its not an accident that the PRO model with the factory 15+2 mags and flared magwell just barely fit into an IDPA ESP / CO box.  Its as big as it could be without being a different beast entirely.

On 12/28/2019 at 7:22 PM, B_RAD said:

I shoot the SF just as well as anything else

You've also crossed the skill set threshold that allows you to do this. Most people posting here haven't made the effort you have nor progressed as far down the path. Anyone who follows you on fb or ig can see how well you've documented that at a high skill level the gun doesn't matter as much if it is basically sound.

If/When the contingency program dries up, and it will, I wonder the percentage of people who will still continue to shoot it......

On 1/4/2020 at 4:34 AM, WxGuy said:

I have it and shoot it because I like it!  Contingency program was not a factor in the purchase.  It's even better now that the LOK thin grips are installed.

Me too.  Have shot poly for years, but first time I shot a SF, I as hooked.

• 3 months later...

I have the Q5 SF Pro and have a couple hundred through bros. Sig p320 Xfive legion.  When I bought the Q5, the last gun in the running was the Sig.  It was a tough call - to me it came down to how it felt to me.  The Q5 felt better, it pointed much more naturally for me.  I use a holosun 507 red dot and I was able to consistently get on target faster with the Q5 with the same sight on each gun.  Maybe the grip is angled differently?  The stock trigger is way better on the Q.  I also like steel better than polymer/alloy - but I don't have a good reason, I just think guns should be steel - they feel like they weigh about the same, not sure.  I think the fit and finish on the Walther is better than the Sig. 

I will say that if you have really large hands, do NOT get the Walther Pro, the magwell will not allow you to get a good grip, friends have tried it and it was a deal breaker for them.  For reference, I wear x-large gloves and they fit fine.  The regular SF model does not have the magwell. 

You can't really go wrong with either, I try my best to shoot before I buy, but that isn't possible all the time.

Good luck.

Phil 

• 2 weeks later...