Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter plates for the Q5 (polymer)?

jayjay1

Well,

I´m struggling with losing the dot every shot I make.

The heavy slide compared to the light grip is not nice, but I worked it out with irons.

Mounting the original steel plate and the red dot changes things for me quite a bit.

The gun flips somewhat more, the heavy plate with the RD on it adds not only some weight to the slide, so it does on the end, which increases muzzle flip even more.

I have to refind my dot almost after every shot, my split times are three times more than with irons.

To fix this problem a bit, I thought lighter mounting plates than that heavy original ones could help a lot.

Is there any aftermarket plate for the Q5 which is lighter?

Best regards,

Jay

can you get the slide milled to take a DPP directly ? Eliminate the plate all together. Or maybe get one made of titanium. 
I'm having opposite issues with my CO and getting nose dive when the slide closes but cant go lighter with the spring.

Not sure what is available in guide rods BUT

If there is a guide rod that you can change spring rates with usually you should be able to tune the gun/load/shooting style

getting an acceptable return of the dot.

Also usually the cheapest way to go.

I'll also suggest doing lots of dryfire with the gun, even though the slide doesn't reciprocate, it still teaches you where the dot is all the time.

Also grip your gun tightly and you'll find the dot won't leave the window

I test fired a friends  a while ago and the dot didn't leave the window

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I don´t say that I´m overtrained, but does anyone of you guys actually have a Q5?

Don´t get me wrong, I don´t want to bother you at all, but the Q5 is a bit special in the recoil department, a bit snappy.

The slide is very heavy, the grip peace very light, and the most weight of the slide is on its rear, so that there is some real muzzle flip.

Repeating Mr. Hwansik, there is a HUGE difference between the polymer and the steel frame.

So all I want to do is getting as much help as possible.

12 minutes ago, jayjay1 said:

Well, I don´t say that I´m overtrained, but does anyone of you guys actually have a Q5?

Don´t get me wrong, I don´t want to bother you at all, but the Q5 is a bit special in the recoil department, a bit snappy.

The slide is very heavy, the grip peace very light, and the most weight of the slide is on its rear, so that there is some real muzzle flip.

Repeating Mr. Hwansik, there is a HUGE difference between the polymer and the steel frame.

I have both and have shot both plastic (last year) and steel frame (this year) in competition. If you change recoil springs in the plastic Q5 you can get it running pretty flat. I use a 13# 1911 flat wire spring (in both) with an M&P Tungsten guide rod in the plastic and a zr tactical guide rod in the sf, both have relatively the same muzzle flip, which is not much, but the felt recoil is  less in the sfq5. 

On 7/31/2019 at 8:06 AM, jayjay1 said:

Are you running factory ammo or reloads? Factory ammo comes out of the Q5 hot. The Q5s barrel is really fast so you can load your rounds light. I run a stock Q5 with ammo that makes around 133-134 pf. My splits irons vs optic are about the same up close, the edge goes to the irons. My splits at distance are much faster with the optic hands down. The extra weight of the optic + plate isn't really noticeable to me.   How long have you been shooting with the optic?

Hey darkside,

I´m using my own made coated hardcasts weighing around 145gr and have loaded them for my old Shadow 1, where they came out around 134pf.

I actually didn´t measure their velocity out of the Q5, will do that soon now, thanks.

I´m somewhat faster with the irons, always losing the dot when shooting.

Have shot the dot for about four weeks, maybe four or five times, then switched back to the irons.

Edited by jayjay1

On 7/13/2019 at 3:02 AM, jayjay1 said:

The heavy slide compared to the light grip is not nice.

To fix this problem a bit, I thought lighter...

I can tell you that your theory is valid.

My carry optics gun:

615AE91D-07D6-4A8E-B639-A7B37E801C89.thumb.jpeg.3b72aafe6a981f8f536c9fe196e0ad8e.jpegFD0C3F8D-EDE1-4666-B4A4-D3C7274D6A49.thumb.jpeg.778b88e69a67fa3aafaf5caad39e1019.jpeg

A 4” PPQ with 3oz carved out of the slide to direct-mount a DPP. The DPP weighs 2oz, so I’m 1 ounce lighter in reciprocating mass than a factory gun - AFTER you factor in the weight of the optic.

(The frame has 4-5oz of tungsten epoxied into the backstrap, too. This gun was crazy light before I did that.)

I’m not gonna lie. The recoil is pretty vicious with Limited-gun slide velocity and none of the 2011 weight to soak up the recoil. But if you grip it hard, it does shoot very flat.

Mark Housel at L&M Precision did the work. The dot is right where my irons used to be so switching over is quick. He cut so deep you could see 2” of firing pin to pull that off.

He can’t do this to a Q5 - only to a gun without factory adaptor plate. If I were you I’d sell the Q and get a 5” PPQ with the oval slide cuts. They have lighter slides so it’s a benefit even in Production, they sell for less, and can be cut super deep for Carry Optics.

Q5 vs PPQ M2 slide weight from my Instagram:

49 minutes ago, jayjay1 said:

Hey darkside,

I´m using my own made coated hardcasts weighing around 145gr and have loaded them for my old Shadow 1, where they came out around 134pf.

I actually didn´t measure their velocity out of the Q5, will do that soon now, thanks.

I´m somewhat faster with the irons, always losing the dot when shooting.

Have shot the dot for about four weeks, maybe four or five times, then switched back to the irons.

I'd be interested to hear what your Shadow 1 round is making out of your Q5.  Check out the thread below for load data.  I know I load my rounds .3gr - .4gr lighter than my buddies Shadow 1 round. We are both running 124gr bullets.

You only shot with the optic 4 or 5 times?! That's nothing. It took me 4 or 5 months to get used to the dot. My stages would consist of lots of pauses followed by a string of curse words as I tried to find the dot. I even some how confused the red fiber front sight for the dot once.  Once I got my grip and focus down it became way easier.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 7:06 AM, jayjay1 said:

I do. I’d tend to agree that this is probably a training issue. It took me a while to not lose the dot consistently, but I narrowed it down to a grip issue. I cleaned up most of that in a couple hours of Dryfire sessions. (I shoot limited with a 2011 regularly, the CO gun is kind of something I play with when I need a break). 

On 7/31/2019 at 8:06 AM, jayjay1 said:

I have both Q5 and Q5 steel frame,  there is no huge differnce between them.  You should work on your grip for sure.

On 8/6/2019 at 7:10 PM, highhope said:

Q5sf's optics plates are all aluminum which is 1oz lighter than Q5's plates(steel ).

But I prefer steel plates as long as I can make the weight.

Well then Walther gave me the wrong plates, because my SF’s adapeter plates are heavy steel.  On the plus side, much harder to strip out than soft aluminum.

I’m curious where you read the SF got aluminum plates?