Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schmeisser 60 Round Magazine

Mojo_Hand_052

Thanks, Steve.     :eatdrink:

I'll give you one of the "weak fingers"     😂   (You pick which one).

Yeah, you're right.   When I get a chance (Been Very Busy lately), I will take that little puppy apart and

see if its diaper is on right.  I hate to spend any $$$ and get nothing for it.     :( 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using my Schmeisser a good bit for my home practice stages/drills and it has yet to have an issue. I needed a 60 rnd mag at a match last month and decided to actually vet this thing before I might need it again. I think I feel alright taking it to local matches at this point. 

Edited by Blockader

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2019 at 6:44 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

For 40/45 $ I dont think theres a better mag. The magpul ones are 130$ by comparison 

D60s can easily be found for under $100 on various sales. The last ones I bought were $90-something shipped.

Personally, I'd rather spend $90 on a mag that works than $40 on one that doesnt. YMMV.

Edited by gose

14 minutes ago, gose said:

D60s can easily be found for under $100 on various sales. The last ones I bought were $90-something shipped.

Personally, I'd rather spend $90 on a mag that works than $40 on one that doesnt. YMMV.

Except this mag DOES work. I ran 400 rounds through it and never once had a single failure to feed. I have run it through several competitions since then in rain mudd and heat and I have had no failure to feeds through any of that. I am close to about 3k rounds through this mag and I have never once had a failure to feed from the mag. I stand by my statement that for 40$ you cant find a better mag. If you want to spend twice that just for a name then be my guest. But this is a cheaper option that works just as well

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Except this mag DOES work. I ran 400 rounds through it and never once had a single failure to feed. I have run it through several competitions since then in rain mudd and heat and I have had no failure to feeds through any of that. I am close to about 3k rounds through this mag and I have never once had a failure to feed from the mag. I stand by my statement that for 40$ you cant find a better mag. If you want to spend twice that just for a name then be my guest. But this is a cheaper option that works just as well

Does it work w steelcased ammo ie have a larger window of operation?

1 minute ago, blueorison said:

I did some preliminary testing with 1 box of steel cased and I didnt have any issues. I think more testing is required for steel cased. But from the 50 rounds I shot I had no issues. 

Also how common is steel cased anyway? I was under the impression that no one shot steel cased for 223 anymore cuz it's all garbage?

7 minutes ago, blueorison said:

Also anyone who is looking at this mag obviously has competition in mind. With that being said why would you use cheap steel cased ammo in competition? It's like you are cheeping out on the ammo which affects accuracy but then not cheaping out on the mag. If your going to go all the way why not use great ammo too?

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Also anyone who is looking at this mag obviously has competition in mind. With that being said why would you use cheap steel cased ammo in competition? It's like you are cheeping out on the ammo which affects accuracy but then not cheaping out on the mag. If your going to go all the way why not use great ammo too?

Great questions.

Steel ammo isnt crap when you compare it to mass produced brass. Youll find you can get about 2 to 3 moa with m193 mass produced ammo and 3 to 4 with steel cased.

Use case: Hoser matches, matches under 100yds. Any match w paper targets present.

The point isnt steel vs brass. It is operational window/reliability. Steel introduces increased friction, this helps us test gear for brass and steel cased ammo.

I mainly use brass, so you're preaching to the choir.

Edited by blueorison

• 2 months later...

Pretty much forget EVERYTHING you ever knew about loading AR mags.  I had the same issue.  17 go in then NOTHING ELSE.  If you use both of your thumbs to roll each round into place, with a thumb on both ends of the round, you should get 55 in without issue.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, Problemdog said:

If you use both of your thumbs to roll each round into place, with a thumb on both ends of the round, you should get 55 in without issue.

GREAT INFO !!!!

I'm going to give that a try.   Can't get more than 17 or so in there, now.

Thanks for the tip.     :) 

• 2 weeks later...

WELL- even with a loader its a B---H none of my reloads fit- to long- but they all fit in my 30 round mags-

So I tried loading with different  makes of factory ammo- all brass- and all loaded up fine- yes the factory

is just a little shorter than my reloads.

Saturday Ill hit the range and hopefully the mag will run flawless.

Hi-Power Jack I did load some with the two thumbs- not worth my effort- used the LULA and actually

fit 65 rounds in- had to see- the extra are out for now.

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Thanks, Rolex.

My mag is at the gunsmith right now, and he's saying he cannot get

more than 17 rounds in it either.

I'll try using my LULA when I get it back - sounds like a reasonable

approach.

What if anything is he using as a loader? Ill tell you I cant load this beast with my thumbs!

AND PS with the factory ammo This mag functioned FLAWLESS- BUT my reloads are to long

could not get more than 15 into the mag as the point of the 55gr heads stuck into the front

of the mag- Now if the mag could be made just a tad longer in the front it would most likely

shoot the reloads- from the factory making them, SO I reset the length to what most of the

factory stuff is and BANG- loaded up 60 rounds and it ran flawless- NO I don"t shoot steel case

or anything else- just the brass!!

I don't know what steps my smith has taken in working with this problem.

I gave it to him, along with my TruBor, about two months ago - and then the

Virus got in the way.

Probably be a while before I get it (or my TruBor) back, but it doesn't matter since

my range has been shuttered for at least a month.

When I was playing with it, I tried reloads and four brands of ammo, and they

ALL stuck around 17-18 rounds - wouldn't go any further.

But, I've since purchased a LULA - so I'll try that when I get the mag back.   Plus,

someone here suggested rolling the rounds in - I'll try that also.

Meantime, I've purchased two P-Mags 60 rounders - won't get a chance to try

them out until the Virus goes away (I'm worried, because I'm 75 years old -

kind of afraid the Virus might outlast me).    :( 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...