Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schmeisser 60 Round Magazine

Mojo_Hand_052

I don't have  any tools to load a .223 mag, but I was able to

get only 18 rounds into the Schmeisser 60-round mag   :( 

Also bought a PMAG 40 round mag, and had NO problem

loading 40 into it - I'll let that set for a few days, and after

that probably load only 37 or 38 to ensure reliability.

It was actually easier to load 40 into the 40 PMAG than

to load 27 into the PMAG 30's I have.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I don't have  any tools to load a .223 mag, but I was able to

get only 18 rounds into the Schmeisser 60-round mag   :( 

I'm thinking thinking this has got to be a quality control issue since y'all both experienced extreme difficulty loading your mags and mine took 60 rounds by hand no problem. 

7 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Jack, you just need to develop stronger fingers!     😋

Fingers ?      🏋️‍♀️

Why didn't I think of that ?

Round #17 took a lot of effort, and round #18 was almost impossible, but

I stomped on it with my heel   (that's a joke, for you newbies).

But, could NOT get #19 in, no matter what.

I'm going to let the mag stay with the rounds in it, and then try it again

in a couple days.   

If that doesn't work, I'll unload and start again.   Maybe I got one cartridge not competely

in correctly and that one round might be the problem, but doesn't sound too likely.

BTW, there's not much room left in the front due to the very long OAL on these rounds -

that could be part of the problem.   Guess I'll try another brand of ammo, also.

Another busy weekend ahead.     :) 

Hey, Steve, can you recommend any  Finger Exercises ?   Any that YOU have

found particularly useful ?     🖖   Pls notice, that is TWO fingers, not one.     😇

I used to do a lot of rock climbing, and for hand strength training I would take a pair for 45 lb plates, place them together so that the smooth faces pointed outward, and then perform a kind of dead-lift wherein I would squeeze the smooth sides of the plates with both hands and then hold them, suspended, for a certain period of time.  Reduce the weight as needed to perform the exercise, or alternate between either hand but instead hold the weight at your side.  In my experience the hand / grip strengtheners don't work as well because they don't do much to train forearm strength, which is also integral to hand strength.  The finger stretchers, however, work much better. 

Secondly, using a 10 pound plate tied to some PVC piping via a  length of nylon rope, you can create a twisting exercise that also works the hands and forearms.  Holding the PVC pipe laterally in front you, use both hands to twist the pvc pipe forward or backward such that the nylon will begin to wrap around the pipe.  The twisting of the rope draws the 10 lb plate upward. 

Using a combination of the aforementioned training methods and hangboards I was able to develop some impressive grip strength.  

Edited by Mojo_Hand_052

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 4:49 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I was able toget only 18 rounds of Federal XM193

into the Schmeisser 60-round mag   :( 

Since the Federal XM193 ammo I tried was 2.255" OAL,

I thought (was hoping) that the very long OAL was the

problem.

Just tried Federal 100 round value pak,  which is 2.200" OAL, and 

got exactly 18 rounds into the mag.

So, the shorter ammo has no effect in my mag.

And, something at the 18-round mark is interfering

with loading additional rounds into the 60-round mag.

Have to look into that another day.    :( 

On 7/30/2019 at 11:48 AM, Mojo_Hand_052 said:

I've seen that Lucky Gunner uber-test where they burned down a few rifles shooting steel.

Seems like the end conclusion of that test that:

a)enough money was saved over the lifespan to pay for new barrels(not fancy ones, but still)
b)the barrels would have lasted longer than they had if they would have cleaned them and hadn't been doing so many mag dumps.

That said, I don't use much steel, but I have heard of people having problems with it sticking/binding in some polymer magazines, such as the Magpul Glock mags.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Followed

Also I ordered mine today. I'll throw up a video of shooting some brass. 

I'd hate to think that I wasted 50$ on a gimmick. 

I heard it doesnt work reliably.... looking forward to your review.

I recieved mine today and got the first part of the video done. 

Tomorrow I'll get to the range so we can all see some mag dumps in action. 

Initial impressions dont really indicate anything negative so far

We will see about the reliability tomorrow though so everyone can know whether to run it in competition or not 

I got all the range footage I need. I'll edit the video for the review and post it later today. 

I set up a mock 3gun stage (rifle only) and the loaded 6 mags full and shot. 

I had zero failure to fires through all 6 mags. Yes you read that correctly. ZERO FTFS. 

I'll get the video posted as soon as I can. Needless to say, I'll be using this magazine as my new 3 gun comp mag. I'm shooting a match this weekend and I'm going to also bring it to see of I get any ftfs

10 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I got all the range footage I need. I'll edit the video for the review and post it later today. 

I set up a mock 3gun stage (rifle only) and the loaded 6 mags full and shot. 

I had zero failure to fires through all 6 mags. Yes you read that correctly. ZERO FTFS. 

I'll get the video posted as soon as I can. Needless to say, I'll be using this magazine as my new 3 gun comp mag. I'm shooting a match this weekend and I'm going to also bring it to see of I get any ftfs

A+. Could you test steelcased ammo to see if the friction will make it fail?

46 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

AvgJoe, did you have to do anything to your mag to be able to load 60 rounds into the mag ?

Did you use a tool to load the mags ?

Or, did they all fit in with a "finger-push" ?

So I purposely didnt use any loading tool. All of mine fit perfect with a good finger press. But I will say when you get to around number 40 it gets difficult to load. If you leave the mag fully loaded for a few days it will break the spring in a bit so it gets easier and easier to load with just your fingers. If you dont have a strong grip or you have weak hands or something you could consider using a mag loader.

Thank you for your initial review! 

It looks like it's working, well, even with the fast rate of fire and fully loaded (a lot of us usually download one, so that's great info).

Really looking forward to seeing how steel-cased affects it. Surefire mags do not work reliably with steel-cased, as a direct comparison.