Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp Pro - Thoughts?

I've emailed the Beretta reps and they say the Comp Pro will be available in August, and retail around $1,800, but I'm hoping street price will be around $1,675.  The magazine tube featured in the promotional material will not be included due to import restrictions, and I was advised to pick up a Nordic tube and suitable extension nut (which is compatible with the 1301 Comp).  I've been waiting patiently to get into the sport of 3 Gun and have not been able to make up my mind on a shotgun.  The Comp Pro seems like the right combination of features for the right price.  

Improvements over the Non-Pro version:

• Completely new stock with recoil mitigation and comfort enhancements.  
  • Forend features "Comfort Grip" material.
  • 3" Chamber but with extended, 3.5" stock
  • Enlarged loading gate that remains "raised" during loading operations.  They claim thumb pinching is virtually eliminated
  • New oversized bolt release
  • Serial number has been relocated to allow aggressive modifications to the loading port. 
  • Includes multiple Optima chokes. 

Street price on a Gen 2 1301 Comp is around $1,000 to $1,200.  Do the provided upgrades (which exclude the magazine extension) justify the greater cost of the Pro version? 

http://www.beretta.com/en/1301-comp-pro/

1301-Comp-Pro-white11.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Gen 2 1301 for 3-gun in at least 2 matches a month. I opened the loading port myself and after several iterations got it where I liked it. It is a good bit more open than the Pro looks to be. So I'd plan to modify that still, at least if you quad load. The stock and lifter changes on the Pro look pretty cool. I'm not sure about the fore end and have never had problems with the bolt release myself. I think I paid right at $1100 total for the 1301 Comp and it has been flawless. I think I'd have to shoot the Pro model first before spending $1600 on it, to make sure those features did add noticeable value, but I definitely could be tempted. 

Can anyone else name a 3 gun dedicated/directed shotgun (factory or gunsmith built) advertisement that doesn’t show a picture of the loading port? Good job Beretta! 

“We have this much bigger and better loading port...... but we don’t we show you”

I think they really shoulda maxed out the loading port on this Pro model. And included a match saver. So it was truly ready to go other than the tube. The only reasons I can think that they didn't is that both those things take hand work to accomplish correctly. 

2 minutes ago, jrbet83 said:

Can anyone else name a 3 gun dedicated/directed shotgun (factory or gunsmith built) advertisement that doesn’t show a picture of the loading port? Good job Beretta! 

“We have this much bigger and better loading port...... but we don’t we show you”

Haha, just noticed that the link doesn't even include a shot.  

I scoped some other promotional material though and found a good shot.  From the looks of it, the loading port appears to be almost identical to the Gen 2.  

20190310_123937-660x495.jpg

It looks a little lower maybe, and more funneled. That might be good enough. But the tube side of the port needs to be wallowed out a good bit more to expose the shell end better so your thumb can push them in while skimming the top of the port there, rather than poking into the tube. It comes down to this isn't really a custom 3-gun shotgun, its a production model thats 90% of the way there as opposed to the Comp being 80% of the way there. 

7 minutes ago, Blockader said:

It looks a little lower maybe, and more funneled. That might be good enough. But the tube side of the port needs to be wallowed out a good bit more to expose the shell end better so your thumb can push them in while skimming the top of the port there, rather than poking into the tube. It comes down to this isn't really a custom 3-gun shotgun, its a production model thats 90% of the way there as opposed to the Comp being 80% of the way there. 

Thank you for the feedback.  I'm very seriously leaning toward a Gen 2 1301 at this point.  I can pocket my $500-$600 in savings and buy some shell caddies and some files from Freight Harbor.  What other upgrades would you recommend to the 1301 aside from the obvious ones (magazine extensions and opening up the loading port)?   

I opened the port, mostly with files, kept dremeling to a minimum. I will try and snap a photo this weekend. I added a Taccom match saver. That took a surprising amount of work in this gun, though I am picky about exact placement. I added an extension tube of course, no barrel clamp. I got a lead rod that just fit in the tube and sawed off a 2.5" section weighing 12oz and put that in the end of the tube under the cap. I added a pound of lead shot to the buttstock interior. I added a nice soft recoil pad. And got extended chokes: Diffusion, Light Mod, Imp Mod. The gun shoots soft and fast and has run flawlessly. When it gets pretty dirty it doesn't run 2.75 dram 1oz shells 100%, but I never use those in a match anyway. I think thats everything I did. I love the shotgun portion of 3-gun!

If you don't plan on getting any work done, the Breda B12i is a gun with better features out of the box and at the same price point. Larger, more aggressive loading port, and more 3-gun friendly features. It's basically a Benelli M2 clone with an inertia driven system that lots of top 3-gun shooters are running now, including Keith Garcia, Joe Farewell and Josh Tarrant. http://bredausa.com/products/ 

Having said that, if you're going to ever have work done on a shotgun, just go all-in and buy a tricked out M2 from Taran Tactical. He's got a 4th of July sale coming up, which usually discounts gunsmithing >15%. 

I tried to go the cheaper route with a Versa Max Competition to run out of the box, and ended up getting a full package done by RCI/aka Roth Performance, and was fairly unhappy with the end product. It would have been faster and cheaper to just buy the Taran Benelli right out of the gate, and had a shotgun that runs for years. 

7 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Looked at the pic above and decided I needes my lifter to do that.

20190628_220218.thumb.jpg.8f3c66931fdf595ed5c6d42995ff5098.jpg

Less than an hour of cutting, grinding and measuring later and I have a functioning prototype.

That's badass man. Care to elaborate? I have at least less than an hour free after a match today. 

Edited by Blockader

Pretty much just what it looks like. Found a brake rotor in the scrap bin close to the thickness I wanted, cut a little cube out of it, cut the angle on the front and proceeded to file till it was about the size I was going for. The only critical dimension seems to be the height, which ended up around .34", and that the back edge doesn't obscure the cut out on the lifter. Then I drilled/tapped a 6-32 hole in the center, placed it on the lifter and marked the hole center and drilled that 9/64. I don't have a proper 6-32 screw handy so it comes loose after a few rounds. Once I feel confident I'll loctite a good screw in and tac weld it.

Edited by TonytheTiger

8 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Pretty much just what it looks like. Found a brake rotor in the scrap bin close to the thickness I wanted, cut a little cube out of it, cut the angle on the front and proceeded to file till it was about the size I was going for. The only critical dimension seems to be the height, which ended up around .34", and that the back edge doesn't obscure the cut out on the lifter. Then I drilled/tapped a 6-32 hole in the center, placed it on the lifter and marked the hole center and drilled that 9/64. I don't have a proper 6-32 screw handy so it comes loose after a few rounds. Once I feel confident I'll loctite a good screw in and tac weld it.

So, functionally speaking, the angled block keeps the lifter locked in the upwards position?  Pardon my ignorance of the 1301 operations, but what causes the lifter to spring back into position once you've finished loading?  

25 minutes ago, Mojo_Hand_052 said:

So, functionally speaking, the angled block keeps the lifter locked in the upwards position?   

Correct. When you pull the trigger that little plunger you see riding on my block retracts and the lifter springs down which then releases a shell from the tube. 

On 6/28/2019 at 11:17 AM, Mojo_Hand_052 said:

I've emailed the Beretta reps and they say the Comp Pro will be available in August, and retail around $1,800, but I'm hoping street price will be around $1,675.  The magazine tube featured in the promotional material will not be included due to import restrictions, and I was advised to pick up a Nordic tube and suitable extension nut (which is compatible with the 1301 Comp).  I've been waiting patiently to get into the sport of 3 Gun and have not been able to make up my mind on a shotgun.  The Comp Pro seems like the right combination of features for the right price.  

Improvements over the Non-Pro version:

• Completely new stock with recoil mitigation and comfort enhancements.  
  • Forend features "Comfort Grip" material.
  • 3" Chamber but with extended, 3.5" stock
  • Enlarged loading gate that remains "raised" during loading operations.  They claim thumb pinching is virtually eliminated
  • New oversized bolt release
  • Serial number has been relocated to allow aggressive modifications to the loading port. 
  • Includes multiple Optima chokes. 

Street price on a Gen 2 1301 Comp is around $1,000 to $1,200.  Do the provided upgrades (which exclude the magazine extension) justify the greater cost of the Pro version? 

http://www.beretta.com/en/1301-comp-pro/

1301-Comp-Pro-white11.jpg

Welll....I already bought a Beretta A400 earlier this year for bird hunting.

At least with the blue receiver, my girlfriend won't be able to notice I bought another ($1,600 to $1,800) Beretta shotgun.

🙂

(except for the wood stock and forearm on the A400)

Edited by Chills1994

20 hours ago, mtruong said:

If you don't plan on getting any work done, the Breda B12i is a gun with better features out of the box and at the same price point. Larger, more aggressive loading port, and more 3-gun friendly features. It's basically a Benelli M2 clone with an inertia driven system that lots of top 3-gun shooters are running now, including Keith Garcia, Joe Farewell and Josh Tarrant. http://bredausa.com/products/ 

Having said that, if you're going to ever have work done on a shotgun, just go all-in and buy a tricked out M2 from Taran Tactical. He's got a 4th of July sale coming up, which usually discounts gunsmithing >15%. 

I tried to go the cheaper route with a Versa Max Competition to run out of the box, and ended up getting a full package done by RCI/aka Roth Performance, and was fairly unhappy with the end product. It would have been faster and cheaper to just buy the Taran Benelli right out of the gate, and had a shotgun that runs for years. 

I've looked at the Taran Tactical M2 and while It's definitely a sweet gun, the $3k price tag is a gut punch.  Granted, they keep their value.  I could probably put 100k shells through the gun and sell it for $2,600.    I have been looking closely at the Hawkeye ordinance M2 Atgeir.  For $1,850, it seems like the right balance of cost / performance.  I've looked at the Breda B12i as well, but my tendency is to at least handle a gun before I buy one.  Here in Dallas, you can't find one anywhere (I've looked 😪).  Nonetheless, it's the right price, shares most of the same parts with M2, and can quad load* out of the box. 

*People still open up their Breda's loading ports, which I suppose demonstrates that there's no such thing as too open.  

You can be plenty successful in 3-gun with a shotgun that's not a taran m2, or an m2 in general for that matter. As long as you get something reliable to start with and set it up right. I beat a taran m2 shooter and several bredas today. I have never had a single malfunction with the 1301 in thousands of rounds, other than with 1 oz 2.75 dram loads when it was dirty (during practice of course). 

The most important thing is to just get started. And then do it a lot. 

Edited by Blockader

Having owned both M2s and 1301s their build quality is similar.

1301 will have softer recoil but require more frequent cleaning. And at least the earlier 1301s are lighter and quirkier, especially the bolt release. They are also fast guns, if all you do is a mag dump you can shoot it empty in a second or two. 

The M2 will be stouter but more reliable, especially when dirty. It also feels more solid to me. But you'll notice slugs more. 

Their manual of arms are very different, I find the M2 (and Steoger, Franchi clones) to be more logical and simple to me. 

Now I use a Franchi that with gunsmith work comes in at the price of a new unmodified M2. Other than one spring being in a different position I can not find any difference from the M2 other than the shape/cosmetics of the stock. 

To me I'd use a good smith for opening up the loading port once and done, rather than spending all Summer tweaking it. And the other often overlooked job a good smith can do it align your slug and birdshot POA/POI which rarely agree out of the box. 

The funny thing is that Beretta owns ALL the above mentioned brands. 

Edited by Frankly

6 hours ago, Mojo_Hand_052 said:

I have been looking closely at the Hawkeye ordinance M2 Atgeir.  For $1,850, it seems like the right balance of cost / performance.  I've looked at the Breda B12i as well, but my tendency is to at least handle a gun before I buy one.  Here in Dallas, you can't find one anywhere 

Have you looked into Hayes Custom Guns? They are in Texas and do both Bredas and Benellis, and Dissident Arms does tube fed gunwork also.

10 hours ago, Frankly said:

Now I use a Franchi that with gunsmith work comes in at the price of a new unmodified M2. Other than one spring being in a different position I can not find any difference from the M2 other than the shape/cosmetics of the stock. 

To me I'd use a good smith for opening up the loading port once and done, rather than spending all Summer tweaking it. And the other often overlooked job a good smith can do it align your slug and birdshot POA/POI which rarely agree out of the box. 

Are you happy with the Franchi so far?  I just took a look at the Affinity 3.5, and I like the magnum length loading port.  Can you also suggest a good gunsmith for the Franchi mods?  

On 6/28/2019 at 10:43 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Looked at the pic above and decided I needes my lifter to do that.

20190628_220218.thumb.jpg.8f3c66931fdf595ed5c6d42995ff5098.jpg

Less than an hour of cutting, grinding and measuring later and I have a functioning prototype.

The guys in the U.K. have been doing that mod for some time. Good to see that  Beretta is listening to customer input.

47768C11-6413-40D5-93C3-5CB34521DB56.jpeg

11 minutes ago, GunCat said:

The guys in the U.K. have been doing that mod for some time. Good to see that  Beretta is listening to customer input.

47768C11-6413-40D5-93C3-5CB34521DB56.jpeg

Dammit. Every time I think I'm the first guy at a party it turns out I'm at the wrong address.

46 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Dammit. Every time I think I'm the first guy at a party it turns out I'm at the wrong address.

In addition to keeping the lifter lowered for easier loading, that modification also stops a rare but potential issue of the bolt locking open with rounds in the tube (I've seen 3 guns out of hundreds that would do this - lowering the lifter just a bit stopped the problem)