Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp Pro - Thoughts?

7 hours ago, Nolan said:

Mine looks more like this, only taller.  Mine holds the lifter at almost full travel.  I'll try to post a picture later.

47768C11-6413-40D5-93C3-5CB34521DB56.thu

Tried to post a pic of mine, sounds like what you describe. Gave up on posting pics here though.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a loading port job on my new Comp Pro, I think it turned out awesome and it loads fantastic. I wanted a gun that would run sub .20 splits consistently and reliably, and have had issues with an M2 running at that pace. So far it seems like this gun is it. I am looking for advice (or a link to a video) about cleaning / maintenance on these guns. I have been shooting inertia guns forever and I want to make sure I can keep this thing running long term. 

D650AA38-1224-492B-90D8-C32FCA9F5277.jpeg

Thats very similar to how I did mine, having been educated by Jon Axe. Is that the Hayes shop job? 

I clean mine every 400 rounds or so, or before any important match. It could go a lot longer, I know people who almost never clean their 1301s, but I'd rather have a lighter cleaning session more often than an all day affair once a year. 

Nothing real specific about the process, just clean and reoil the moving parts and gold portion of the tueb the recoil assembly rides on. Remove the the gas puck and clean all those parts real well. Do not oil those parts or areas. I use Hoppes Elite cleaner. Once in awhile I use a bronze brush on rod chucked into drill to polish up chamber, forcing cone, and chokes. If you use the briley diffusion choke (what I use 80% of the time) you need to drill brush the rifling in it or it stops working as well. 

The shells you use will also play a big factor. AAs are super clean, the Rio 1280 I mostly run in my 1301 not so much. 

Edit: Also, I replace the recoil spring about once a year and the mag tube spring about twice a year. 

Edited by Blockader

Thanks for the info. I wanted to send the gun to Hayes, but that’s a lot of money and time. I looked at their loading port pictures and tried to replicate what they do. A friend of mine that is pretty handy with air tools did the cutting for me, I did the polishing myself. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 12:18 PM, pastorom said:

I purchased a 1301 Com Pro with a 24" barrel recently. This wasn't my first choice - I'd actually prefer a 21" barrel to make it more manageable in a home defense scenario, but couldn't find any 21" barrels. And the 1301 tactical either wasn't available, or I just kept getting outbid on. 

I guess what I'm asking is, any interest in parting with your 21" barrel? :-)

Second question - if anyone has set the comp/comp pro up in a HD/cruiser ready type setup. Are there any other good options besides the Mesa tactical sureshot side saddle? Am I better off getting a pic rail and shell card separately?

I have a 21 inch barrel and looking to go to a 24 if your in the states and would like to trade

• 1 month later...

Hope not too late to join the thread , a little bit concern of the LOP of the Comp PRo especially it is equipped with the A400 stock, I can only used LOP of 13” and max 13.5.” Thanks

42 minutes ago, ffgats said:

Hope not too late to join the thread , a little bit concern of the LOP of the Comp PRo especially it is equipped with the A400 stock, I can only used LOP of 13” and max 13.5.” Thanks

This is without a spacer being used - it comes with a small and large spacer 

43A4FE1A-4CDD-44F1-BCA5-0A96CB05E0CB.jpeg

19 minutes ago, 3gunDMD said:

This is without a spacer being used - it comes with a small and large spacer 

43A4FE1A-4CDD-44F1-BCA5-0A96CB05E0CB.jpeg

Pretty close to my desired LOP, the pad I presume is the slimmest?, 

10 minutes ago, ffgats said:

Pretty close to my desired LOP, the pad I presume is the slimmest?, 

It doesn't come with a thinner pad but something may be available on the aftermarket.  Also, I had to use different screws to get the pad screwed down tightly without using a spacer.  

17 minutes ago, ffgats said:

Thanks, will do more research before going to the dealer, trying to avoid seeing the SG in person, a little bit compulsive buyer here, lol, thanks again 

No problem - it's a great shotgun overall.  

Which type Microcore pad does the Pro comes with and thickness , noticed in the Beretta they have 2, the comp and field and .39”-1.3”, It looks like that the factory pad is a little bit over my desired LOP, maybe a .3-.5 less is much better 

33 minutes ago, ffgats said:

Which type Microcore pad does the Pro comes with and thickness , noticed in the Beretta they have 2, the comp and field and .39”-1.3”, It looks like that the factory pad is a little bit over my desired LOP, maybe a .3-.5 less is much better 

It definitely seems closer to .39 than 1.3”

3E53495C-8142-448C-9DE0-FD9072637615.jpeg

Thanks, I guess the best way is to see it personally, I used to have the first gen and M2 with their slimmest pad and it works for me, wondering how it compares with the M2 SP, I can go between the SG, my concern is more on the LOP, unfortunately the 1301 gen2 is nowhere to be found or very rare here in Canada

• 11 months later...
On 7/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, 3gunDMD said:

It doesn't come with a thinner pad but something may be available on the aftermarket.  Also, I had to use different screws to get the pad screwed down tightly without using a spacer.  

My 24 inch 1301 comp pro came with a 1 inch spacer. I’m an average size guy and it made it way too long to shoot comfortably. I removed the spacer and reused the screws no problem. The gun is now much more comfortable to use.

The gun runs 100% and I love it. I’m trying to figure out 922 compliance parts so I can put a tube extension on it.

It’s looking like the briley trigger may be the only easy way but it’s $$$.

https://www.briley.com/p-58887-beretta-a400-xplor-xcel-xtreme-unico-xtreme-plus-1301-will-not-fit-391-xtrema-match-triggers.aspx