Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp Pro - Thoughts?

16 hours ago, Nolan said:

Thanks!  What's the advantage of the new latch?  

Nolan

The new latch doesn't allow you to use it to release shells from the tube. Some people hated the old latch and went so far as to call it a 'fatal flaw.' I've been shooting a 1301 for 4 very busy years now and never accidentally released shells, I actually like the feature of the original latch as it makes unloading after a stage a breeze. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, ecn515 said:

The new latch doesn't allow you to use it to release shells from the tube. Some people hated the old latch and went so far as to call it a 'fatal flaw.' I've been shooting a 1301 for 4 very busy years now and never accidentally released shells, I actually like the feature of the original latch as it makes unloading after a stage a breeze. 

Same here, I really like the original latch.

5 hours ago, ecn515 said:

The new latch still allows you to release the shells from the tube. You just pull up on the front of it instead of pushing down on the back. 

I have never had the "fatal flaw" double feed actually happen during regular use either, though I have practiced the fairly straightforward maneuver of clearing it quickly, just in case. 

On 11/13/2019 at 9:56 AM, Blockader said:

According to beretta European site the new pro trigger group fits previous 1301 models. 

http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/3-0-inches-trigger-group-competition-pro-for-1301-a400-12-ga/

There seems to be some confusion on chamber size on some of these parts. Beretta site says somethings will "fit the Comp with 3.5" chamber",  but the Comp has 3" chamber. Reckon I'll find out. 

I emailed the European Beretta E-Store - They said they wont/cant ship the new lifter to the US - I would assume it will be here after more Comp-2's are purchased.  I am just gonna have a piece welded on by a local welder.  As for the chamber size.  The two orginal Comp guns have a 3.5" receiver (for a larger loading port) but the barrels are 3".....they are 3" shooting guns....to verify look at the markings on the barrel to be sure.   The Comp-2 should be the same. 

On 11/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, ecn515 said:

Thanks!  I've never had a problem with the original latch either.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

Through the efforts and goodwill of a fellow 3-gunner, I was able to obtain the new comp pro lifter that beretta based on the mods of some innovative Brits. I also installed the new style bolt release/shell latch than I ran the shotgun through quite a bit of loading and some live fire drills to check function. 

I am very pleased with both parts, which were easy to install and tweak to my preferences. 

The  new bolt release is much lower profile, which means it is well out of the way of my 2nd stack of shells in a strong hand quad. It still functions to unload the mag tube, though a bit differently than the original part. 

The lifter surpassed my expectations. I thought it would be cool but not improve loading that much. Turns out, for me at least, that not having to hold pressure down on the lifter greatly smooths quad loading. 

I think I finally have my loading port exactly how I want it. I have the match I run this saturday to try it out before a big falling steel match next weekend that I am shotgunning. 

Supposedly the new lifters will start being available in the US in the new year. Definately worth $70 or so. 

resize1574901142022.jpg

resize1574901171453.jpg

resize1574901067242.jpg

1 hour ago, Slowmisses said:

Or was it innovative Finns?🤔

The innovative Finn mod was a flat step that pushed the lifter down.

The innovative Brit mod of the Finn mod was to make the step into a ramp (to make it easier to hit the Beretta button) & make the ramp higher to push the lifter into the gun further.

• 2 months later...

Problem solved.  My stock shell latch is so over sprung and the catch it so sharp that it was digging into the back of the shell. So when you press the release the shell would never release onto the lifter. 

image.thumb.jpg.27b85537a0ca19930226f59e2498f84e.jpg

I removed my old catch which also looks like I did some contouring on. Now  the gun to functions.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, Wheelsonly said:

Here you go. This is the way the new Beretta  1301 comp pro should have been released IMO. Although the stock is very nice and makes the gun extremely soft I felt like they missed opportunity to evolve this gun.

8E4FB1CB-2371-4E7E-A8FC-64106FF484DD.jpeg

What approach did you take in retaining the shell latch/bolt release pin when taking the port that low on the right side? 

• 1 month later...

been following this thread because I now want a 1301. 

I am only 5'6 and 160lbs so not sure I want a 24", here in Canada, IPSC shotgun is not popular at all nor are 3gun competitions, so not sure if will get used for that. I want a Beretta that is a good all rounder, a jack of all trades and due to my height and weight I am leaning towards the 21. I owned a Urika2 that was 28 and that felt like a fishing pole to me, owned others in between and never tried something shorter. The urika felt too long.

Sorry for derailing the thread but just wanted to ask for opinions on 21 vs 24. BTW I am not recoil sensitive nor a puss puss, I am relatively well built and strong. just saying, lol

3 hours ago, Avenida said:

been following this thread because I now want a 1301. 

I am only 5'6 and 160lbs so not sure I want a 24", here in Canada, IPSC shotgun is not popular at all nor are 3gun competitions, so not sure if will get used for that. I want a Beretta that is a good all rounder, a jack of all trades and due to my height and weight I am leaning towards the 21. I owned a Urika2 that was 28 and that felt like a fishing pole to me, owned others in between and never tried something shorter. The urika felt too long.

Sorry for derailing the thread but just wanted to ask for opinions on 21 vs 24. BTW I am not recoil sensitive nor a puss puss, I am relatively well built and strong. just saying, lol

I am about the same build as you (5’7, 170lb) and would definitely go with the 24 for versatility unless you plan to use the gun only for home defense.  With the 24, you can add a 2 in. extended choke and turn it into a very capable clay gun.

Been off the forum for a little while now. Was browsing and found this post. Forced me to go do a little research. Can any one tell me when the 1301 comp gen 2 came out? I haven’t had any luck google searching it. Pretty sure I own a first gen. What changes did they make with gen 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a gen 2 and it is really a nice gun. Have been using it in 3 gun matches for at least 3 years. Opened the loading port as much as could with SN where it is, lengthened the lifter, put an xs sight on the rear of the rib for slugs, installed a Nordic tube for 8 rounds, put on a kick off stock that goes on a Beretta 400, use a light mod choke- good for shot and slugs - POA is POI. It is a very fast and soft shooting gun. Easy loading, points well.

Gun costs about $1000 originally plus mods. Much less than the cost of the currently offered one.

You can use a barrel clamp if you want- not really needed.

Edited by verla
additional infro