Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp Pro - Thoughts?

1 hour ago, adhumston said:

I just picked mine up from my FFL today. Got a Nordic +5 on it already. Hopefully be able to get some rounds through it this weekend!

1109190833~2.jpg

Very nice. With the +5, what’s the tube capacity now? 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Do you have a 1301 Comp you can compare it to?

Unfortunately i don't. I've just about bought a tactical 3 or 4 times, but an 870 handles those duties reliably. I'll pick one up eventually I'm sure... I'm a fan of beretta shotguns.

I'll be picking my Pro up sometime this week. I have two original 1301 C's I can compare against that I've been shooting for the past 4 years. I'll likely get it out on the range this coming weekend and will report back. 

I bought a 1301T  year ago. I've had a problem with the lifter getting caught on the bolt release when the bolt is locked backed. I could push the lifter until it shifted sideways and got stuck. It has been getting stuck under recoil more often lately. I came up with a cheap fix today that I think has fixed it. Now I can't push the lifter down (gun is upside down) and sideways to make it stick anymore. In fact I can't budge the lifter at all. I'll try it tomorrow at the range.

My fix is to place an ordinary 1/4" flat washer on the end of the carrier bushing. It fits there like it was supposed to be there in the first place. Reassembling the trigger group is no problem at all with the washer on. It removes the slop of the lifter and keeps it from shifting sideways and getting stuck on the bolt release.

I took some short video clips of before and after on my phone but the files are too large to email to myself for uploading. If you want to see them PM me and I'll text them to you. Here's a few screen shots showing where the washer goes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by delphidoc
Slop was in the lifter, not the trigger group.

Last weekend I was able to try a 1301 Comp, a 1301 Comp Pro & a Versamax back-to-back.

I'll focus mostly on my impressions around the Comp Pro:

• Lifter remains "raised" during loading operations. This is a definite benefit during loading, but you can also mod the Comp lifter to do this.
  • Loading port. Not bad at all, but I would recommend this being opened forwards more. Loading deuces, approx 50% of the time the second cartridge got hung up on a lip - this would need fixing for me.
  • Stock with recoil mitigation and comfort enhancements, probably the biggest change from the Comp. In short - it works in reducing the recoil at the cost of *slightly* increased muzzle flip. For me, the trade off of flip vs. recoil would be worth it.

If I already had a Comp, would I chop it in for a Comp Pro? That's a tough call but probably not. You are looking at a 50% increase in cost (UK prices) for maybe a 15% increase in performance. 

And the Versamax had less recoil & flip than either the Comp or the Comp Pro.

This morning I tried to get someone at beretta to tell me when the new lifter and bolt release would be available stateside but they had zero knowledge. My shell catch is worn out and letting shells by in the middle of my quad loads once in awhile, so i was ordering that anyway. 

Any euro gunner want to straw buy the new lifter and release and mail them to me? :)

According to beretta European site the new pro trigger group fits previous 1301 models. 

http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/3-0-inches-trigger-group-competition-pro-for-1301-a400-12-ga/

There seems to be some confusion on chamber size on some of these parts. Beretta site says somethings will "fit the Comp with 3.5" chamber",  but the Comp has 3" chamber. Reckon I'll find out. 

Edited by Blockader

8 hours ago, Blockader said:

According to beretta European site the new pro trigger group fits previous 1301 models. 

http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/3-0-inches-trigger-group-competition-pro-for-1301-a400-12-ga/

There seems to be some confusion on chamber size on some of these parts. Beretta site says somethings will "fit the Comp with 3.5" chamber",  but the Comp has 3" chamber. Reckon I'll find out. 

How much in dollars and will they ship it to the U.S.?

13 hours ago, Blockader said:

Totally forgot the new lifter has the doohickey that the plunger presses against to keep it lifted. 

2 hours ago, 021411 said:

Totally forgot the new lifter has the doohickey that the plunger presses against to keep it lifted. 

That part is the "Competition Long Elevator for 1301 Comp Pro, 12ga" p/n C7C121.  So far haven't found one in the US.

http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/elevator-long-for-1301-comp-pro-12g/

Well I've had my 1301 Comp Pro for about a week now. I put a few rounds though it, but just plinking as it still needs it's port cut. Which brings me to the fact the loading port is about the same as the original Comp, but it does seem a bit more open, definitely needs work though. I have a mega kick off stock on my 1301 comp so the pro with it's plus stock feels about the same. Although the pro did come with a 1" spacer installed on it's kick off plus stock so out of the box it's aggressively long. 

I can also confirm that the new comp pro trigger group fits in the original 1301 if you want to go that route. I haven't stripped them completely apart to check individual parts though. 

If anyone has any specific questions about how the pro is or how it compares to the original I'm happy to field them. 

On 11/12/2019 at 3:53 PM, Blockader said:

Turns out you can get the new style bolt release/cartridge catch at Midwest Gun Works if you look under A400 parts. 

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/c8d464

The bolt release/cartridge catch part is a different part # on the 1301 TACTICAL vs the 1301 COMP.

That A400 / 1301 Tactical part may not work in the longer COMP receiver.

11 hours ago, GunCat said:

The bolt release/cartridge catch part is a different part # on the 1301 TACTICAL vs the 1301 COMP.

That A400 / 1301 Tactical part may not work in the longer COMP receiver.

Already installed it and contoured the latch for ease of shell insertion. It works great in 1301 comp. I don't have the lever cover yet, but I'd run it without the cover indefinitely anyway, it's that much better than the original part. 

Still waiting on a few more parts, but plan to put some pics and comments up here when it's all done. 

2 minutes ago, Blockader said:

Already installed it and contoured the latch for ease of shell insertion. It works great in 1301 comp. I don't have the lever cover yet, but I'd run it without the cover indefinitely anyway, it's that much better than the original part. 

Still waiting on a few more parts, but plan to put some pics and comments up here when it's all done. 

Good to know, thanks for the follow up.

12 hours ago, Blockader said:

Thanks!  What's the advantage of the new latch?  

Nolan