Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp Pro - Thoughts?

4 hours ago, GunCat said:

In addition to keeping the lifter lowered for easier loading, that modification also stops a rare but potential issue of the bolt locking open with rounds in the tube (I've seen 3 guns out of hundreds that would do this - lowering the lifter just a bit stopped the problem)

Steve, how high should the block be?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, The Donald said:

Steve, how high should the block be?

The height is not critical. Enough to keep the lifter from overriding the shell latch will fix the lock back problem. A lot less height that you see in the earlier pictures will fix the lock back issue.

12 hours ago, Mojo_Hand_052 said:

Are you happy with the Franchi so far?  I just took a look at the Affinity 3.5, and I like the magnum length loading port.  Can you also suggest a good gunsmith for the Franchi mods?  

GunCat in this thread is too modest to promote himself but he is one of the best 3Gun gunsmiths in the business and knows the Franchis having done mine. 

20 hours ago, GunCat said:

The height is not critical. Enough to keep the lifter from overriding the shell latch will fix the lock back problem. A lot less height that you see in the earlier pictures will fix the lock back issue.

Thanks!

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, GunCat said:

The guys in the U.K. have been doing that mod for some time. Good to see that  Beretta is listening to customer input.

47768C11-6413-40D5-93C3-5CB34521DB56.jpeg

The smaller, more tapered block like GunCat's makes it easier to hit the Carrier Catch to release the carrier during an unloaded start.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

• 3 weeks later...

I put some rounds through a 1301 comp pro this weekend.  It's light handling and fast cycling.  I was very impressed.  The port will need a little more opening.  Full power 1600 fps slugs felt like birdshot.  They've got something going with the recoil reducer in the stock.  I may sell one of my M2's and pick one up.

10 hours ago, assaulter said:

I put some rounds through a 1301 comp pro this weekend.  It's light handling and fast cycling.  I was very impressed.  The port will need a little more opening.  Full power 1600 fps slugs felt like birdshot.  They've got something going with the recoil reducer in the stock.  I may sell one of my M2's and pick one up.

I think it's basically the A400 Extreme Stock with their kick off recoil system inside:

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/stk-blk-syn-a400-xtreme/c8a437/

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/mega-kick-off-unit-a400-x-xtreme/e00687/

Pretty sure you can use it on the 1301.

6 hours ago, JWS_61 said:

Assaulter, do you have any time behind the original 1301 comp and do you think there is that much difference between it and the new comp pro?  

Thank You,

Jeff

That was my first time with any Beretta shotgun.  I've had an SLP, Versamax,and a couple Benellis.  The Beretta is definitely softer shooting than the benelli.  The rep claimed that it will cycle the very light loads with no problem too, even the mini short slugs.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:12 PM, Mojo_Hand_052 said:

Haha, just noticed that the link doesn't even include a shot.  

I scoped some other promotional material though and found a good shot.  From the looks of it, the loading port appears to be almost identical to the Gen 2.  

20190310_123937-660x495.jpg

Anybody happen to have part numbers for the the angled spacer and/or Pro lifter if it's one piece with the spacer.  I think I have a spare 1301 lifter (somewhere in my parts bin) that I may try making my own.

Nolan

• 1 month later...

Two main/important differences of 1301 from comp pro- stock and relocation of serial number. You can put an A400 stock on the 1301 for added comfort. Cannot do much about relocating the serial number- believe it is a federal offense to grind it out to lower the loading port. You do not want to tangle with the ATF over this issue.

Edited by verla
additional infro

49 minutes ago, verla said:

Two main/important differences of 1301 from comp pro- stock and relocation of serial number. You can put an A400 stock on the 1301 for added comfort. Cannot do much about relocating the serial number- believe it is a federal offense to grind it out to lower the loading port. You do not want to tangle with the ATF over this issue.

The serial number of the current regular 1301 Comps is in the same place as the Pro. That was one of the updates the Comp received a few years back when the version 2 came out, along with "welded" lifter ans slightly more welcoming loading port. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...