Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check weights

rooster

I am in need of a 5 grain check weight.  Don’t want to buy a whole set. I only load for 9mm, so I think a 5 grain weight would do. I am willing to pay a reasonable price for the trouble.

That's random and arbitrary. My scale came with a 100 gram weight. If 100 is 100, why wouldn't 5 be 5? Unless you're saying you dont have any check weight at all? If so, use a dollar bill which should weigh one gram

Yes, I don’t have any weights, and I want to calibrate my scale. I have a beam scale and they don’t come with check weights. A digital scale usually comes with one. Using a dollar bill is not precise. So if anyone has a 5 grain check weight they wish to sell let me know. I know that you can use various coins paper clips etc., but I would rather have a weight made for the purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not used a set of check weights in years.  I match my load to the chrono.  Not important to me that 3,3 gr N-320 is not exactly 3,3 grains on someone else scale.

Back in the good old days when these things were important to me I had a friend with a scientific scale weigh some change for me.  I had good weight measurement on a penney, dime and nickle.  Kept them in a small case (should it turn out not all pennies weigh the same).

On 6/12/2019 at 1:07 PM, rooster said:

I am in need of a 5 grain check weight. 

Because individual 'throws' can vary, why not throw 10 or 20 and divide to get the average weight per throw?

If you want to be more scientific, basic statistics recommends 30 samples in order to estimate the variance of the true population. In layman's terms this means that at least 30 samples need to be measured to estimate the result to what would be expected from all of your reloads.  I.e. at 95% confidence you would expect each round to contain 'x' grains, based on your 30+ samples.

As we aren't shooting bullseye here, I would suggest taking an average of 10 throws.  This gives you a good idea of charge weight and is quick/easy to perform/calculate.

Many of the cheap scales on Amazon come with check weights.

Edited by muncie21

I bought check weights to make sure my 2 beam scales agree with each other , they didn’t but they do now and if I ever go digital or a new scale I can either calibrate or know the offset from old to new and adjust the notes/load and verify easy enough. 

I work only with my scales and a chronograph so as long as my scales are consistent for me I am good  my notes record what the scale says and the book is used for a safe starting load mostly as there are a lot of variables between their test fixture and my firearms etc.  

I also know my Titanium wedding band on my scales weigh 71 grains.  So there is another check weight I always have handy 

I have the gold standard for long range precision rifle scale, a Gen 2 Prometheus, yes it’s worth it and a old Lyman M5 scale, but I don’t have any check weights, nor will I be buying any, use your targets and chronograph to tell me what is good and what sucks.