Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or 38super ?

I would go with 9mm, simply because of the manufacturer defensive ammo that is available in the market. I’m not sure what is available in the 38 Super world but there is a lot available in 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time I trouble shoot a 1911 I hear the same thing and actually believe it. The gun was designed for 45. Everything else is adaptation.

I have multiple 1911s in 9, 40, and 45. 45 is the most reliable. 9 is 2nd. I love 40 but it took a lot to get it dialed in and the load has to be just right.   

Sorry, I know you ask about 9 or 38S but HP Jack's question is a good one.

For carry, I have an aluminum officer frame with a 4 inch slide from SA in 9mm.  I had some work done on it, and It has been perfectly reliable.  I can shoot light target loads and 9mm+P with the same recoil spring.  I also use a 38 Super recoil spring and shoot 9mm major in.  I use the 125 g Speer GD made for the 357 Sig cartridge and load it long to a velocity of 1350 fps. I know we're not supposed to use reloads for carry; they are my "woods carry loads."

38 Super is remarkably reliable in the 1911 platform due to the overall length.  And with your parameters a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 Super would be ideal.  My favorite carry gun too, same as Duke mentioned above.  Chip McCormick mags as well as Wilson Combat work flawlessly.  Check out Georgia Arms for SD ammo that is potent and $0.50/per.

I have several 1911 single stack guns and a 2011 Limited gun in 9mm.  All are 100% reliable, accurate, and a pleasure to shoot.  If you have one built or set up by someone who knows what he's doing, there won't be any issues. 

I'd go with 38 Super.  An earlier comment is incorrect.  The 1911 was originally designed around and chambered for the 38 Super.  If you do go for 9mm, use the mags that came with the gun.  1911s are finicky about 9mm mags.  I tried three brands before I found one that worked in the 9mm 1911 Open gun I just built.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:53 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: You said it will be an aluminum frame and for carry. Why not just get one in 45 and be done. If you plan on shooting it alot then get a steel frame and 9mm. Thanks, Eric

A alloy commander is easier to carry and 45 kills my hand.

Biggest problem with selecting a carry gun is the "compromise" of large/small, light/heavy, powerful/lighter cartridge.

If you're going to do a LOT of carrying, and very little shooting, might be good to go with a light .45.

If you don't mind the weight, get a heavier gun which will be easier to shoot.   You can get lighter .45 rounds, also.

Not sure why people keep pushing him to .45.  He explained why he wants 9/38, so the choice seems to be between those two.  As for 9mm reliability in a 1911, there are no issues if the gun's built correctly and you have decent magazines.  And performance-wise, there are plenty of ammo choices in 9/38 that will get the job done. 

Since you are looking at getting a Commander for carry I think 38Super is the right choice as reliability is #1 in a pistol carried for defense and all things equal the 38Super is more reliable being the same length as the 45ACP which the 1911 design was built for.

My advice is to shoot a 38 Super side by side with a 45 acp. You might be surprised with the recoil of a 38 Super and a defensive load.

If you go with something like a Springfield Armory EMP4, you get a 1911 pistol redesigned specially for the 9mm cartridge and it will shoot softer than a 1911 38 Super or 45 ACP.

Good luck to you.

11 hours ago, retiredshooter said:

Thanks for all the input , going to shoot a light 38 super tomorrow and see how the hand feels.

I have several Supers and gone-to-hell hands.  .38 Super loaded down to minor is a joy to shoot.  For some reason, perhaps the way it cycles the gun, 9mm isn’t the same.  It should be, but it’s not.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:18 PM, JMike said:

My advice is to shoot a 38 Super side by side with a 45 acp. You might be surprised with the recoil of a 38 Super and a defensive load.

If you go with something like a Springfield Armory EMP4, you get a 1911 pistol redesigned specially for the 9mm cartridge and it will shoot softer than a 1911 38 Super or 45 ACP.

Good luck to you.

Well its solved. Shot 2 guns ,both alloy commanders . The 9mm won me over . Shot both with +p and the 9mm is significantly softer shooting. Thanks for all the help !

Well its solved. Shot 2 guns ,both alloy commanders . The 9mm won me over . Shot both with +p and the 9mm is significantly softer shooting. Thanks for all the help !

Gratz!