Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA AUTOMATIC BRASS MARKER

PhillySoldier

DAA just advertised this on their facebook page. Should start shipping in about 2 weeks.  They had sent me a survey about a year ago now asking if I would be interested in such a product. So the idea has kinda grown on me since; specially after I started taking more notice on how long it takes me to mark my cases and/or sort out brass at the range. 

I am kinda discouraged though that they put out two demo videos for it but fail to actually show it connected to any type of press. I want to see it fully running and confirm its not going to slow down my processing before I commit to purchase. 

Anyway I figured I would share... 

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/double-alpha-automatic-brass-marker?fbclid=IwAR1vgW2_mutbsPTrS9uCIMK5DwMXQfOH0nMOCaF336F3csYD6WCdsWUzsgI

Edited by PhillySoldier

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neat!     
  • Semi-automatic
  • And only $120/140 w/the feed chute  
  • As long as it will sort of keep up with a 1050/Revo/whatever, or at least not hang up, I think they will sell a TON of them.  I'm going to order one as soon as they're in stock.

Is it just me, or did anybody else hear "Bras" when he said brass?   My wife is pretty well endowed, don't see her boobie catchers fitting in that thing.

Edited by rmantoo

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like to see a video on it marking inside the rim of the case. That is my preferred marking method. The guy mentions that it is possible in one of the videos but never shows it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/3/2019 at 10:10 AM, PhillySoldier said:

Anxious to get but still wanting to see a small video of it fully installed and running first. Its a trusted company name but seems strange of them to not actually show this

Here you go sir:

This is a very short video after only 15 minutes of setup. I had to cut the spring tube really short and will likely shorten it some more. I did flatten the include Sharpie tips to get a bit more width in the marks. So far, this is really cool and I really like it. I have only 200 rounds through it so far and no malfunctions. There was a rearrange of my bench to make room, but this can work well. I have a small piece of wood underneath to get it high enough to dump into a small Dillon ammunition bin. 

I will likely be returning the down shoot funnel thingy, which was extra. 

Enjoy. 

Edited by Nevadazielmeister

On 4/18/2019 at 2:55 PM, BritinUSA said:

I normally tumble my loaded rounds to get rid of any case lube, so manually dumping them into the chute afterwards will work for me. 

Same thoughts here, but would like to know if it will allow you to dump a bunch of rounds down the tube at a time or would you have to sit and feed them, one at a time?

A month ago, I wouldn't have given something like this a second look, but feeding my 38 Super habit seems a lot more expensive than it did, last go around.  So, quickly identifying my brass has a lot of appeal!

Mine came in yesterday and I loaded a quick 500 rounds after setting it up last night. The Sharpie tips needed to flattened a bit to leave a wider stipe.  I also slipped some washers on the Sharpies to add some weight and put a bit of extra pressure on them to make the lines a bit more pronounced. Very happy so far!

On 5/7/2019 at 6:30 PM, augman said:

I also slipped some washers on the Sharpies to add some weight and put a bit of extra pressure on them to make the lines a bit more pronounced.

I used a couple of 1/4 - 5/8 hose clamps to each pen to add the weight. They could also replace the rubber ring to keep the pens at the correct height.

E6FA96BC-BCFB-4967-A48F-99B8F236DCCF.thumb.jpeg.404f2e8ed849c2ab61d29a134183a7d2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 7:14 PM, BritinUSA said:

I’ll give it a try when it gets here...

Did you ever try the dumping rounds down the chute versus getting them as they come off the press?  I'm curious as well as I usually tumble my lube off before marking.

Dropping them in manually works fine, dropping them in at a steady rate, about one per second allows the rotor to pick them without jamming. At one point I had four or five of them stacked up and it managed to clear them through.

It won’t work if you try and dump a handful in at once.

Hey guys,

Thank you for your positive feedback!

Do you mind write up a few reviews directly on our website as it is there where people also look for some useful information. With your permission I can copy the reviews above but it is best if you done it yourselves :)

To write up a review, click on the reviews tab here: https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/double-alpha-automatic-brass-marker

Thanks,

Double Alpha Team.

I got mine today.  I am using a Brushtip Sharpie with a .45 bullet taped to the end. The line on the brass is perfect.

I need to decide if I want to keep it on the bench and cut the spring super short or have it sit on something on the floor below the bench

The spring has been cut. Because of the limits on bench space and the lack of adjustability of the output funnel, the marker needs to sit on a block, in this case a Hundo.  If you do not have your press mounted on a strong mount or equivalent, I am not sure that the marker will work on the bench.  Ideal solution would be to drill a hole in the bench and run the output to a shelf below the benchtop

IMG_5815.JPG.4d3d6d86bcf660699334c23f59ec22d3.JPG

Ran into the same thing, so the machine is on the lower shelf of my bench.  Unfortunately, I can't use the setup inline, because I tumble my loaded rounds with mineral spirits, to remove the case lube.  The mineral spirits also do an outstanding job of removing permanent marker.  Sooo, the marking becomes a secondary operation.  You can knock out a hundred rounds in no time, so it's not a huge deal.  That method also allows you to adjust the markers, should they require some fettling.   Honestly, the only way I'd use it inline is with my earbuds in and turned up, because the machine makes a nasty racket.  

The machine isn't perfect, but it doe work well.  Perfect would command a much higher price point, so this one is right where it needs to be.  It's money well spent, because not recovering 38 Super brass gets expensive!