Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA AUTOMATIC BRASS MARKER

PhillySoldier

This looks great, but I also am not on a riser, so would have to figure out something.  IF I could run the funnel tube left and then back right I could place it on a shelf I have below the main bench...  Or maybe just run it down the front even?

Q3oYnFxh.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/28/2019 at 9:48 PM, Balakay said:

I am using a Brushtip Sharpie with a .45 bullet taped to the end.

I have a stupid question.  Are you using the .45 bullet to add weight?  I am assuming this is to get a better mark on the brass.

5 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

I have a stupid question.  Are you using the .45 bullet to add weight?  I am assuming this is to get a better mark on the brass.

Correct. The added weight seems to help make a broader, more uniform mark on the brass

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 5:21 AM, Balakay said:

Correct. The added weight seems to help make a broader, more uniform mark on the brass

And you added some tape to the Brush tip Sharpie as well to keep it in place it appears in the photo?  I haven't been thrilled with the markings I am getting from the regular Sharpies so I picked up some brush tips tonight but they as just a touch small for the large opening and o-rings.  Can't find any markers locally so far the size of the Edding markers they mention.  

Well I ordered one...  I'll figure out some way to set it up on my bench - I just replaced the Dillon akrobin mount for the Inline Fab one which has more of a shelf.  Might have enough room to put it on that shelf, then output marked rounds down to the lower shelf in pic...we'll see.

hJHCqyUl.jpg

Also moved the monitor back down, I had put it higher at eye level thinking that would work better, but reality is I'm always looking down at toolhead/shellplate anyway so looking up every stroke was annoying lol.

Honestly, I may just remove the cam/monitor altogether - reality is I am looking at shellplate every stroke anyway, and with the Dillon KaKlunk saftey rod it's damn near impossible to get a double or empty...

l7mUaxNl.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

Brass Marker arrived today... and I am seriously underwhelmed :(.  I still need to do some tuning I guess, but I have yet to get a decent stripe.  I've followed the various directions/fixes, ie blunting the tip, I even trimmed the tip to get a wider stripe.  I've put weights on the markers, first a 230g which made little difference, then a second 230gr still no improvement.  It's skipping all around, making wavy lines, not making complete lines, etc. Plus, it sounds like a janky claptrap.  I don't know, maybe I got a dud...  If I can't get it working better than this it will be going back.

[youtube]

Pitiful results so far...

WtXyryDl.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

15 minutes ago, 78Staff said:

Brass Marker arrived today... and I am seriously underwhelmed :(.  I still need to do some tuning I guess, but I have yet to get a decent stripe.  I've followed the various directions/fixes, ie blunting the tip, I even trimmed the tip to get a wider stripe.  I've put weights on the markers, first a 230g which made little difference, then a second 230gr still no improvement.  It's skipping all around, making wavy lines, not making complete lines, etc. Plus, it sounds like a janky claptrap.  I don't know, maybe I got a dud...  If I can't get it working better than this it will be going back.

[youtube]

WtXyryDl.jpg

yea, those lines suck.  Try a brush tip Sharpie and wrap some tape around the shaft so the tip  doesn't  get pushed up by the passing bullet

11 minutes ago, Balakay said:

yea, those lines suck.  Try a brush tip Sharpie and wrap some tape around the shaft so the tip  doesn't  get pushed up by the passing bullet

Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Brush-Tip-Permanent-Marker/dp/B00GN2VN3M/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=brush+tip+sharpie&qid=1561060474&s=gateway&sr=8-9

screenshot-18.png

53 minutes ago, Balakay said:

So you set it high enough it just barely touches? With the regular Sharpies I started at that and in the end the best results though still not what I hoped was to have them right down against the wheel it seemed.  Haven't fiddle with the brush tips yet to make them fit.

1 minute ago, Chili said:

So you set it high enough it just barely touches? With the regular Sharpies I started at that and in the end the best results though still not what I hoped was to have them right down against the wheel it seemed.  Haven't fiddle with the brush tips yet to make them fit.

I  set it so the tip was slightly above the wheel with no bullet present. The brush tip is softer than the standard and with some weight on the back end of the shaft,  the marker will not get pushed up too much.  This will create a broader line than the above picture

Ok got the Brush tips, MUCH MUCH better  -  thanks @Balakay  👍

Also, a Acme Coated 255 .44 bullet nose fits the recess on the tail end of the Brush Tip Sharpie perfectly.  Added some tape around the barrel as suggested and all seems to be working better.  Only thing is sometime the round feeds opposite way around, so the marks are on the other end, but that's minor and just some more tweaking I think.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it inline with my 1050.  The press isn't high enough off the bench to use the IF tray like I was hoping, so I'll likely have to cobble something up.

GDumQSll.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First use of striped brass earlier this week at the range...didn't lose one piece of 10mm brass lol.  Pretty happy with the results, although manual marking would have worked to I suppose :).

Man we sure love gadgets in this game. A tool for marking brass that only works well with certain markers. Seriously, a brass marking device tuning thread? 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 9:26 PM, 78Staff said:

[youtube]

WtXyryDl.jpg

Check if the bullets are bouncing on the rubber wheel, this happens when the rubber sleeve on the wheel isn't placed correctly flat. If this is the case, you can rub your finger over the rubber sleeve from one side to the other while it is turning to flatten the sleeve.

• 3 months later...

Just to follow up, still working great, but manually feeding 2-3K rounds through it is for the birds.  So I decided to figure out some way to get it inline like it's supposed to be.  Somewhat limited by my bench, but did cobble something together :).  The rounds still flip around inconsistently, so sometimes red stripe is on top, sometimes on bottom, but I'm not to worried about that really.  I may change to single stripe or same color for two stripes and it becomes a non-issue - although it's supposed to align the rounds the same every time.  Just doesn't do a good job of it, or maybe there's some adjustment I don't have right.

Anyway, running it inline is sooo much nicer, even if it looks ghetto lol.  I also have the add on funnel with the super long spring tube, so I could set the bins on the floor, but that's a pretty long drop and all I can think about when I set it up that way was the guy who had the loaded round go off on a long drop to his bucket on the floor :(.

LWmIB99l.jpg

Did some research, re-watched the DAA vid which talks about having to have the round drop with a good amount of speed for the flipper/orientation deal to work, so I experimented with the angle of the spring tube working my way to almost a strait drop, but no matter the angle (and thus the speed of drop) the flipper mechanism is still inconsistent.  It's not a huge deal but I wish it would work as advertised anyway.  Does anyone has any tips on getting the flipper to work consistently?  

I fiddled with the angle some more, moved it laterally to take out some of the slack, and also found putting some weight on the unit (gorilla tape roll, hefty :) to keep it from bouncing around a bit when the rounds go though - it's better than before but still get a few reversed stripes.  I'm pretty much done with fiddling with it, it's not that critical to me, but for those who specifically want color stripes in the same orientation, or for those who want a stripe in the extractor groove, it will be an issue.

xYAjlY0l.jpg?1

Edited by 78Staff